spc
Search similar:

uniqs
datadotorg
join:2004-03-31
Lake Worth, FL

datadotorg

Newbie needs help, 2wire 1100 & wireless router

I'm new to DSL & networking and would appreciate some guidance. I've read enough posts here to know that I could use some help!

I have a Homeportal 1100 and want to use it with a newly acquired Netgear MR814 wireless router so that I can access the DSL connection on my notebook (w/Netgear MA521 pc card).

From what I've read, the 1100 is also a router and this could cause conflicts with another router. I've read about double NAT problems, DHCP settings, changing the 1100 settings to act as an modem only... and I'm thoroughly confused. It's all greek to me.

If someone could spell out one relatively simple solution for me I'd be grateful. I haven't attempted to set up anything yet and would like to be prepared going in.

Thanks in advance.

larryhay
Premium Member
join:2003-05-15
Saint Louis, MO

larryhay

Premium Member

Others can help you with this much better, but just to clarify for all, are you sure it is JUST the 1000?
not a 1000 SW, or any other markings, just for them to help you better
datadotorg
join:2004-03-31
Lake Worth, FL

datadotorg

Thanks for your response Larry. Yep, it's a plain 1100
2Wire Homeportal. Used with Bellsouth's the Home Networking service (phoneline networking, not wireless).

Anyway, I got everything hooked up on my own. I configured the Netgear router to be a simple wireless access point.

Thanks
betawind
join:2002-10-24
Phoenix, AZ

betawind to datadotorg

to datadotorg

Re: Newbie needs help, 2wire 1100 & wireless route

You should be able to connect both devices together by first disabling DHCP on the Netgear router(see below), and then plugging the Home Portal and any other ethernet computers into the LAN ports on the Netgear router. This will essentially cause the Netgear router to act as a switch with a wireless access point plugged into it. The Home Portal should assign DHCP to all of your computers and all will be well. You will still need to configure the wireless card as per the instructions that came with it.

Disable DHCP:
~Log in to the wireless router (usually at 192.168.0.1, with User Name = admin and Password = password).
~Go to the LAN IP menu and disable DHCP by unchecking Use router as DHCP server.