Search similar:

uniqs
Nick8
Premium Member
join:2001-03-17
UK

Nick8

Premium Member

eDexter on Linux - anyone got it to work?

I've recently updated the hosts file on my Linux (SuSE 7.1)box to block ads with S.Martins latest file. This works fine, except i h8 the ugly "holes" that result. eDexter has a limted Java version called eDexter Java Dog to allow cross-platform use. I've downloaded it and you get a couple of Java files (classes) and a jar. What exactly do I need to do to run it? I have a Java runtime environment but so far had no luck in using it to run the files. Usefully, there are two batchfiles provided which are both for Windows machines - great, the normal eDexter works there! Has anyone succesfully used the Java Dog on Linux?

I posted this here rather than in Unix forum since eDexter is commonly discussed here... feel free to move if it's not appropriate

Rocktagon
Slightly Bent
Premium Member
join:2000-11-04
Chattaroy, WA

Rocktagon

Premium Member

I wish I had good news for you but on my SlackWare 7.01 box I have not configured it either.
Z-X, was going to try it out so maybe he will enlighten us.

Lex Luthor
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor

Mod

no need to use edexter.

At least for me, just set the all the blocked sites to point to 156.46.6.134

That's a site that serves up a blank .gif. Works great for me.

Lex

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

join:2000-10-08
Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell to Rocktagon

to Rocktagon
Haven't tried it yet, I was too busy finishing the review for IJB. Now I have a moment to catch my breath...
Nick8
Premium Member
UK

Nick8 to Lex Luthor

Premium Member

to Lex Luthor
Thanks for the work-around Lex, I will find and replace my hosts for the time being. I would still like to get the Java Dog running though, as a more permanent solution. Also I am interested in how to do it now I have spent an entire evening trying . Go to it Zhen!

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell

Well, it appears you just need to launch the jar file, and in looking at the Windows bat file, the launch command is: java -jar eDexterJavaDog.jar. This shouldn't be much different than that for *nix boxen since Java is "write once run anywhere" type code, right?

Give it a shot and let me know. I scanned the java source file itself and did not find anything platform specific off hand.

eDexterJavaDog.jar - a Java semi-clone of the real eDexter. This one is not very sophisticated - it serves only a transparent gif. Folks wanted something for Macintosh or other Non-Windows platforms that worked like eDexter. This will do. This .jar must run as an application. In Windows one can use either java.exe or javaw.exe to run the jar file. The difference is java.exe can be closed and shows a few eDexterJavaDog status messages. Either will do. If you want to be able to stop eDexterJavaDog without killing a process, use java.exe.
Nick8
Premium Member
UK

Nick8

Premium Member

Well, it's probably me being dumb but I can't figure out how to run the .jar file in Linux. I've tried running it using the JRE (Java Runtime Evironment) and had no luck. I'm pretty much stumped.

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell

Did you try the command I have highlighted in bold right above your post?
Nick8
Premium Member
UK

Nick8

Premium Member

Well, I installed the Java SDK and tried the command, unfortunately the command line option -jar is not an option in either java or jre.

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell

Hmm.. I'll try it out at home.