spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Anon123
@pipex.com

Anon123

Anon

NETGEAR WG511 v2.1.0 Driver "Code 10" Error

Before I start, I have read the other posts on this topic, but have had no luck.

Has anyone managed to resolve the issue?

I have tried all suggestions but I get the "code 10" error without fail. I hope NETGEAR will resolve this issue soon.

According to the Microsoft Knowledge Base article on the "code 10" error, the problem is the mf.sys file. I had an idea where I took the mf.sys file from my desktop computer that is running Windows XP Professional SP2 (RC1). I can successfully replace the older file on my notebook, but for some reason, Windows changes the file back to the old one automatically, so that idea was crushed.

I look forward to hearing from others.

Nostrek
@netgear.com

Nostrek

Anon

Have you downloaded ALL the XP updates?? If not, give that a whirl!

Speedy-Uwe
@dip0.t-ipconnect.de

Speedy-Uwe to Anon123

Anon

to Anon123
Hey,

i have the same problem, but i have installed all XP Updates, but it doesn´t function.
Did anybody knows, what for firmware version is the actual for the WG511?

Thanks Uwe

Byron Hinson
@ntl.com

Byron Hinson

Anon

The problem is the drivers and not the same as the mf.sys code 10 error - Netgear's drivers for the WG511 just don't work properly for some of us.

veloct
Go Pats
Premium Member
join:2003-01-21
Moosup, CT

1 edit

veloct to Anon123

Premium Member

to Anon123
Here's what I did with my wife's laptop:

1. Uninstalled the old software (1.1 in my case), removed the network card.
2. Restarted laptop (without the network card installed).
3. Double-clicked the WG511 2.1 software file to install software.
4. After the software finished installing, I plugged in the network card and windows found the network card and asked to install drivers.
5. It brought up the screen that says that the driver is not digitally signed, I told it to continue anyway.
5. Once that's done (and the driver is installed), the Netgear client manager and the icon for the connection show up. I use windows settings to setup the network and not the netgear software, so when it asked me if I wanted to use the netgear manager I told it no.
6. I setup my security settings and SSID.
7. Works just fine.

*I don't know if this helped or not but I installed the WPA hotfix from microsoft since I'm using WPA.

The trick is you have to uninstall the software you have and then reboot with the card not installed (just follow the installation instructions from Netgear).

Byron Hinson
@ntl.com

Byron Hinson

Anon

Yeah - still doesn't work for a lot of us though.

veloct
Go Pats
Premium Member
join:2003-01-21
Moosup, CT

veloct

Premium Member

said by Byron Hinson:
Yeah - still doesn't work for a lot of us though.

sorry it's not working. I'm just saying that's what I did and it worked for me. Good luck
sgEdo
join:2004-04-19
Australia

sgEdo to Anon123

to Anon123
Hey Guys,

I am having the same problem as everyone else in this group. When I install it in my PC I always get the code 10 error. I am assuming all this is the result of the firmware of the card. Maybe Netgear upgraded the firmware on those newer shipped wg511 cards. Can those of you who are able to install it comfirm your firmware???
DerProfi
join:2004-02-10
Arlington, VA

DerProfi

AFAIK the WG511 firmware is sent to the card when the OS loads the driver. Look for the file WG511DCB.ARM in your Windows directory and that's the firmware.
routersucker
join:2004-04-24

routersucker to Anon123

to Anon123
Hi Anon123
My name is Sandeep Gupta. The Code 10 Error you are getting is very common error. Try to Update or Reinstall the Drivers which you would have done already. I don't want to repeat the same stupid things again to make u more frustated. Before u try anything make sure then operating system should not be less than win98 second edition and if you have above win98 first edition then make sure that there should not be any firewall installed on ur pc like zone alarm or black ice or mcaffee, etc and if the firewall is not installed then check that which Processor do u have. If it is going to be AMD Athelon then it will not work as this is the compatability issue of WG511T or WG511 with AMD processors and in that case u can replace the adapter with a 802.11b standard adapter which can be MA521 PCMCIA Adapter. Try to install the adapter on any other PC Slot on ur laptop. Try to install the Adapter on the Laptop which doesn;t have any AMD Processor. This also can be IRQ conflict. Try all these things and see if it works and if it works then do reply me. I will be glad to know
Thanks and Regards
Sandeep Gupta
DerProfi
Arlington, VA

DerProfi

Sandeep, I'm sure everyone appreciates your attempt to help, but you're not suggesting anything new. Everyone here with a Windows XP "code 10" error has already been through all of the usual troubleshooting steps. Netgear support in California admitted to me almost 2 months ago that this is a driver problem. It was supposed to have been fixed in their latest WG511 driver, but it clearly wasn't.

RomanySaad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-31
Egypt

RomanySaad to Anon123

Premium Member

to Anon123
What chipset is everyone's PCMCIA slots? TI, etc...? And what driver version is there?

Jeff-b
@rr.com

Jeff-b to Anon123

Anon

to Anon123
I've been having the same problems.. I solve it by using the older drivers, though I wish I could use WPA and whatever ELSE they've added in the past year...

It's on a Thinkpad T20 running Windows 2000. The PC card controller is a Texas Instrument CardBus. I originally bought a Linksys WPC54G, but there's a documented problem that chipset that they never bothered to fix...

Tech support is running me through the same crap and this forum is the most feedback I've had on the subject to date.. Hopefully there's a fix out there..

- Jeff

code10
@comcast.net

code10 to Anon123

Anon

to Anon123
I also have the Code 10 problem with the newer
drivers. I'm just using older 1.6 driver

I have a Thinkpad A21p, which has a TI PCI-1450
CardBus Controller. I've been reading these forums
for about a month now. It seem the Code 10 error is
quite common with Thinkpads, and some Compaqs.
Although my Thinkpad model is a few years old, I saw
some reports of the same problems with the newer
models, even with the latest BIOS.

I've done some websearches and the Code 10 problem
also happens with other PCMCIA cards and laptops.
bszhu
join:2004-05-10

bszhu to Anon123

to Anon123
Seems linksys has confirm the bug with TI PIC-1450 controller. Since WG511 and SPC54G share the same prismGT chip, there should be a fix from netgear also.

demagneto
@244.evrtwa1.ds

demagneto to Anon123

Anon

to Anon123
Hello friends,

I have been in the "Code 10" hell for a couple days and tried all possible driver combinations (from the CD, from the web site, etc.)

At the end, I dug out of this pit when I google'd that Toshiba had actually posted a new BIOS for this laptop I am configuring (A Satellite 4025 CDT - long in the teeth - I know). The BIOS update changes in the readme reported some fixes to PCMCIA support. Promising...

I downloaded the Flashbios Utility, burned it on a floppy and reflashed the BIOS by booting that floppy.

After that, I tried reinstalling v16 I got from the Netgear website and it worked just fine!

At this point in time, I am leaving well enough alone and calling it a day (two days, actually).

Hope this helps someone out there.

Semper Fi...

Demagneto

Anon123
@pipex.com

Anon123

Anon

Hi Demangneta

Version 1.6 will always work for those that have been experiencing the code 10 error. Even with this BIOS fix, I doubt v2.1.0 or v2.5.0.2 will work for you. What I mean is that the reason you have v1.6 working is not because of the BIOS update. I say this because yesterday I found a BIOS update for my Compaq laptop that promised to fix the PCMCIA and wireless card problems, but it didn't. I think a fix really is required from NETGEAR. At the moment, v1.6 is the best option for all of us with the problem.

DvdW
@range81-153.btcentra

DvdW to Anon123

Anon

to Anon123
Same for me, with v2.502 "Code 10" error, with v1.6 (no further changes to hardware or software) it works OK. I followed the whole procedure (rebooting several times).

Justin C
@dandn1.vic.optusnet.

Justin C

Anon

Hey all,
I've been having possibly similar problems with my network card...
I've got a netgear wg511 card, and it's a total pain in the ass to try to install...
Usually, you can install the drivers, but then, when you put in the actual card, windows tells me that it's found new hardware (fair enough) so i click 'ok, install it', then halfway through installation, it freezes.
this may happen a few times, then maybe once in 10 times, the card *does* install... I manage to get it working, then have a few hours using the internet and whatever though it.
After a while though, (usually the next day), when i turn on my laptop and plug in the card, windows tells me that it's "found new hardware" again! even though i just installed the card the previous night, and hadn't changed any setting since i turned it off...

The problem's really annoying me now, after about 3 months of messing around with it... I can't use it at uni as they have a wireless connection, but as the card is so unreliable, it's not worth trying to re-install the card a multitude of times just to use the internet...

I've tried all of the drivers that are available on the internet as well...

Justin

schu0069
@dsl.irvnca.pacbell.n

schu0069 to Anon123

Anon

to Anon123
can somebody email me the driver for netgear wg511 (the 2.1.0 driver)

because netgear's download ftp seems to be out of order.

thanks...

schumi0069@sbcglobal.net

-J
Philip K
join:2003-11-25
Scotland

Philip K to Anon123

to Anon123
Does anyone have problems with the netgear utility losing your settings and/or not connecting after a reboot? Every time I reboot my laptop I have to go into the utility and click "apply" to get a connection. Sometimes the WEP key is gone too.
tmeader
join:2004-03-15
Laurel, MD

tmeader

I noticed this too... make sure that when you reboot your card is not plugged in. Only reinsert it after Windows has finished loading.

After I started doing that I haven't had a problem since.
ppoorman
join:2004-06-15
Plano, TX

ppoorman to Anon123

to Anon123
Netgear says they will be releasing a new version of the WG511 driver to fix the "Code 10" errors.

Here is what they wrote on Saturday, June 12, 2004:
(emphasis added)

> Thank you for contacting Netgear Support. My name
> is Ted & I will be handling your enquiry.
>
> We have recieved a number of reports on this problem.
> You case has been escalated by Sue. There should be
> a driver version to correct this in the near future.
>
> Ted

Everybody keep your fingers crossed!
DerProfi
Arlington, VA

DerProfi

The cynic in me is rather doubtful that any fix is coming in the near future. Netgear's 3rd level US support people told me exactly the same thing at the beginning of March.
Scoobs72
join:2004-01-15

Scoobs72

Has anybody tried getting drivers from other wirless suppliers that ue the PrismGT chipset. A search suggests the following all use PrismGT:

Abocom WPG 2000
Airvast WN-150g
Accton WN 4201
Alfa GWPCI16
CompuShack Waveline CS-23-543-87
Accton WN 4401
Alfa GWPCI06
Accton WN 4301
Actiontec tbd
Alfa GWPC006
Artem CC-STD-PC-g
Compex WL 54G
Compu-Shack SWCN-540
CompuShack Waveline CS-23-543-83
Corega CG-WLCB54GT
Eagletec ET-WG2000
Edimax EW-7101PCG
GemTek WL-850
Hawking Tech. HWP54G
I-O Data WN-G54/CB
LanReady WPG 2000
Netlux NX-NWL/G650
Ovislink WL-5400PCM
PheeNet WL-0054
Planex GW-DS54G
Roper RO80211G-CB
Sitecom WL-100i
SMC 2835W
Sparklan WL-850F
3Com 3CRWE154G72
USI CB-G-IN-01
USI MP-G-IN-01(3A)
Xterasys XN-2422G
Z-Com XG300
Zyxel-Zyair G-100

I wouldn't gaurantee that this list is 100% accurate, but I believe it's mostly correct. If a new driver exists then there's a good chance it's amongst this list

beach_hut
@gotadsl.co.uk

beach_hut

Anon

Don't bother with any 3com drivers you'll still get "error 10" on newer driver versions. No fix yet or even an indication of when there will be one.

rjtravel
@comcast.net

rjtravel

Anon

I got the code 10 error when I tried to upgrade from v1.6 to v2.1 a couple of months ago. After getting to 3rd level support in US, Netgear offered to send me a new WG511 card. I got the new card and v2.1 installed perfectly. I've been using it for the last couple of months without any trouble.

Anon123
@pipex.com

Anon123

Anon

That's interesting. I never thought that a replacement card would sort it. Perhaps the replacement card from NETGEAR incorporated a newer modified hardware or firmware. I think this has to be the case because I don't think the cards are to blame in a faulty sense.

ironstorm at users d
@cpe.net.cable.rogers

ironstorm at users d to Anon123

Anon

to Anon123

Works under Linux w/ Prism54.org drivers

Hi All,

I'm the latest victim of Netgear's shitty drivers... I have a T40 Thinkpad, I can say with confidence that it's the shitty drivers as the card works under Linux (Knoppix 5-10-2004) using the Prism54.org drivers.

I'm going to have a look for the 1.6 drivers in the hope they help as some of you seem to have luck, otherwise I'll be calling Netgear support (ack!)...

Cheers,

-G

Techwh0re
@rr.com

Techwh0re

Anon

What a disappointment...I'm a PC Tech for 3 major hospitals and bought the Wireless Router and PC Card combo for my pops as a father's day gift...he works for IBM and has a old T21 (IBM just gave him a T41) running Win2K. I installed the V1.1 drivers and was able to get it work!!!

However, I upgraded the router's firmware so I could lock it down w/ WPA (everyone knows WEP is s3kur3!!!) and add the IBM T41. After this, I decided to toss the v1.1 drivers w/ WEP from the T21 and go with the 2.5 drivers...this is when shit hit the fan. Just wasted 4 hours trying to get the shitty card to work. Tried everything...safe mode uninstall, deleting "netgear" reg keys. Installing the drivers under a different local profile, etc. Even after choosing the "REMOVE" option from the installshield setup, it won't install a fresh copy of the drivers or client connection software.
Now when I try to reinstall the older drivers, it won't let me . Only letting me REMOVE. Too bad netgear doesn't offer an UNINSTALL utility like ATI.

horrible...f*ck netgear. Let me know if anyone else has any other luck. I'm about to blow out this HD and reinstall Win2K fresh to test this noize. peace!
-pc teck-wh0re
HealthServe IT Consulting