dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

forum logo
some frequent posters..
Welcome to the start.ca forum
Services include Residential Internet (Fibre, Cable, DSL, Dialup) and Business Internet and Hosting
Group: All, Cable, rCable, cCable, DSL, TV
page: 1 · 2 · next
hockeyfan17
join:2018-11-05
Corunna, ON

2 edits

hockeyfan17

Sports channels

Just wondering if and when all the sportsnet and tsn channels will be upgraded to the hvec codec and to 60 fps. Far to many of these sports channels are 30 fps and using the older inefficient codec. This time of year there are many important events on at the same time and only sportsnet ontario and tsn 1, 4 and 5 look decent. With the nhl playoffs on, the bluejays games are pushed to sportsnet 1 which does not look good. Hope some of that telus backing speeds things along.

jeffrey15287
join:2013-10-04
London, ON
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

1 edit

1 recommendation

jeffrey15287

Re: Sports channels

Hello Sports Fans!

With the Masters Golf Tournament underway and the NHL Hockey playoffs around the corner, we thought we'd remind of you of all your options to watch sports as a Start.ca TV customer.

We know many customers will watch their favourite team or player on their TV. Did you know that as an alternative you can access many of your favourite sporting events through the websites and apps of some major broadcasters.

TSN and SportsNet both have a websites and apps where you can view their live broadcasts. These apps are available to download onto your AppleTV or Amazon Firestick, and are available online from the Appstore. Just use your Start.ca credentials to login!

Have a great weekend,

- Your Start.Ca Team

Got this email today is that starts way of saying our sports quality is shit u should looking to streaming it via an app instead lol

They still haven't fixed the issues of channels freezing over a year now. firesticks have 2 issues now since R300 #1 downgraded to 720P and channel 807 has been down now almost 2 full months. 0 updates on the tickets other then were waiting for the clowns at trangirene to get back to us. over a week ago i escalated the tickets to a manger and he has been on vacation for that whole time..

ccts was totally useless 8 months for them to get to my complaint for them to say we don't care if service is stable or not as long as ur not on contact that u can't get out we could careless.

i've started a new ccts complaint and this time i made the complaint on Telus Rather then start lets see if telus reaches out and will step in since its there company now maybe they will get involved and start overseeing the trash that is going on at start. not holding my breath though.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by jeffrey15287:

i've started a new ccts complaint and this time i made the complaint on Telus Rather then start lets see if telus reaches out and will step in since its there company now maybe they will get involved and start overseeing the trash that is going on at start. not holding my breath though.

Do you pay your bill to Telus directly? If not, the complaint should get closed by them pretty quickly.

jeffrey15287
London, ON
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

jeffrey15287

said by HeadSpinning:

said by jeffrey15287:

Do you pay your bill to Telus directly? If not, the complaint should get closed by them pretty quickly.

i did one on public mobile before and the guy who called was from telus and he told me he handles the complaints for Telus/koodoo/pm this was before they bought start out though.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

1 recommendation

HeadSpinning

said by jeffrey15287:

i did one on public mobile before and the guy who called was from telus and he told me he handles the complaints for Telus/koodoo/pm this was before they bought start out though.

Right. Who handles the complaint is different from who you file it against.

You need to a) file a legitimate complaint and b) file it against the correct company.

jeffrey15287
London, ON
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

2 recommendations

jeffrey15287 to hockeyfan17

to hockeyfan17
i spoke to Emily Ferreira Vice President Customer Success at Start.ca today i talked to her about the channel freezing issue and some of the new issues that have popped up since the R300 release.

she said she is going personally look at the tickets. she also said they were a lot closer to bring in the solution that would no longer involved tangerine global programming the app.

i also told her we wished they would get someone to start coming back to dslr to talk to us about the service since rocca left start has went full abandon mode on this she said she would lookin to it but said in the meantime if anyone else wants to talk to her tag her on linkedin »www.linkedin.com/in/ejferreira/ if u don't pay for linked in just hit the connect option and do the add a message and just say u want to talk to her about your start account leave your phone no. she replayed back to me like with in an hour on a sat.

not holding my breath that anything will come of this considering how many promises they have made but who knows.

Anonc1173
@108.168.4.x

1 recommendation

Anonc1173

Anon

Start TV on Google tv issue

I have noticed recently that if I press the back button, it asks me if I want to exit the Start TV application. All I want to do is remove the landing page so I can being watching TV. It does this on both my Chromecast, and my Sony TV with google tv.

Leaving the Start TV app should be done by using the home button. Not the return button. Without this function, there is no way to exit the Start tv landing page.

This is new. It was not like this before. Has anyone else noticed this or has a workaround?

jeffrey15287
London, ON
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

1 recommendation

jeffrey15287

Re: Start TV on Google tv issue

While I understand the change made to the ‘back’ function in the Start TV application has been frustrating for some, the change brings Start TV in line with other applications and expected default behaviour.

Start TV now behaves the same way YouTube, Netflix, Plex and many more behave when the ‘back’ feature is engaged, which is to reverse track to the application’s home screen/home menu, and then back to the operating system’s home screen.

While there are mechanisms to perform some overrides to the ‘back’ hierarchy, Google recommends application developers stick with the ‘back’ hierarchy that comes baked into device operating systems.

With future changes to the ‘back’ functionality, such as the upcoming ‘Predictive Back Gesture’, Google may alter support for any specific function.

The Start application developers release updates guided by the notion that we should ‘future proof’ the application as much as possible.

None of this means that a future update won’t reverse course, but the altered behaviour of the ‘back’ function, as discussed previously, isn’t a programming glitch. It was done intentionally with the most recent releases.

We do understand your frustration.

Dave R

here is his follow up to why the back button crap was done basically he is blaming google says they told them to do it this way. but they didn't just do it to the android boxes they did it on fire stick to witch google has nothing to do with. wonder if they did it across the board to apple stuff to witch again would have 0 to do with google

in other words lets do what google tells us not what customers want.

so sounds like were just going to stuck with this back button junk unless to many people bitch. everyone who don't like this new back button thing needs to contact support and open a ticket saying they want it changed back otherwise its basically gonna stay that way.
classicaldog
join:2012-01-02
Thornhill, ON

classicaldog

I can see why one might want to do it the way Dave described. However, the back button does not return you to the operating system, even if you say yes. And the PVR issue still remains, where you are trapped in the PVR menus.
CrackAttack
join:2020-01-17
Kanata, ON

1 recommendation

CrackAttack

Click for full size
stuck menu
said by classicaldog:

I can see why one might want to do it the way Dave described. However, the back button does not return you to the operating system, even if you say yes. And the PVR issue still remains, where you are trapped in the PVR menus.

Not only that, but the attached gif was from a video I took yesterday while on my Fire Stick, where it was trapped in a menu and I couldn't get out without going back to home and forcibly killing the app. My wife would never be able to figure that out, and we'd be done with Start at that point. Imagine being stuck on some shit Draft Kings infomercial, no way to get out...

But "that's just a bug, we can fix that" notwithstanding, the original gripes apply. I noticed today on my not-oft-used basement TV with the START box that the "Exit/Back" button DOES behave as we want it. It's just the Fire Stick's "back" button, or my Sony TV (with Android OS baked in)'s "Back" button that does not exit from that annoying menu.

So, even if Start wants to stick to their guns and plead maintaining design for those devices. There are ways to not piss us off. Maybe:

* Have a button on the main screen that is "close menu" that is accessible from one arrow click. My default seems to be "create profile" which is useless. Maybe add something else instead, or at least have a "close" option that doesn't require a bunch of arrow clicks

* I like the 10 seconds auto-close idea, that would work in a pinch.

* Realistically, if I was a product manager (and I was, before I became the manager of a software department), I would actually just go back to the old functionality. You can't exit the app ANYWAY with the new "back" functionality, so until you have a damned good reason to muck with it, why not leave it with the old functionality? It makes no sense. Future-proofing without adding any new functionality, and taking away UI usability, is not the smartest move.

Product managers should be using the product. And if the view is "moving from 1 button click, to 4-5+ button clicks to watch TV is acceptable" then I would suggest the designers and product managers re-evaluate their concept of what makes a user happy. This is clearly not making a lot of us happy. There are a vocal few, which means there are a LOT more that are silently pissed off. I know this from my own software career, through hard experience...

Again jeffrey15287, feel free to forward on...

jeffrey15287
London, ON
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

jeffrey15287

thats the problem people working at start don't use there own product.

on top of that there support people are still working from home and none of the start staff have anything but stbs to test with so u have issues with platforms that aren't the stb good luck getting support.

there test staff also can't be the brightest people look how many bugs sneak though stuff that is impossible to miss.

Anon727df
@45.74.120.x

1 recommendation

Anon727df

Anon

I am on the verge of canceling my start services at this point.Between Chch tv not working at times.TSN not working at times.Chch tv rewind crapping out .And the exit button fiasco.You never know if it’s going to work or not.If any more of these issues arise I’m done with this sh-t .I have been looking at virgin tv plus on fiber in my area.Have a good evening.

cwtech
join:2002-12-09
Canada

cwtech

said by Anon727df :

I am on the verge of canceling my start services at this point.Between Chch tv not working at times.TSN not working at times.Chch tv rewind crapping out .And the exit button fiasco.You never know if it’s going to work or not.If any more of these issues arise I’m done with this sh-t .I have been looking at virgin tv plus on fiber in my area.Have a good evening.

this was never a serious platform and hardware they chose to use.

now that they are owned by telus it blows my mind that why havent they switched to what telus uses. it HAS to be better.

jeffrey15287
London, ON
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

jeffrey15287

said by cwtech:

said by Anon727df :

this was never a serious platform and hardware they chose to use.

now that they are owned by telus it blows my mind that why havent they switched to what telus uses. it HAS to be better.

telus uses the same back end. there box has better specs then start witch is stupid since start went to a new stb back in april but rather then get one with better specs its the same specs as the old one just they jacked up the price 10 and its has a dif outer shell.

the main difference i bet is in who programs the actual app start uses tangerine global who are awful they ignore bug reports, take forever to fix problems, half the time there fixes end up breaking something else.

telus i can't seem to figure out who programs there's it may be done in house by telus themselves.

cwtech
Canada

2 recommendations

cwtech

bell uses mediakind as well. i've never had issues with the service, except when there was some widespread google drm service outage, in which case most north american streaming services died.
deafmonkey
Premium Member
join:2013-04-16
·Start.ca
SmartRG SR505N
Asus GT-AC2900

deafmonkey

Premium Member

said by cwtech:

bell uses mediakind as well. i've never had issues with the service, except when there was some widespread google drm service outage, in which case most north american streaming services died.

Yeah and Bell look great on my samsung crystal 55" 4K tv too and I never had an issue with the bell Fibe TV app so far. I don't understand how Telus and the others using MediaKind cannot get it working right like Bell does. Some folks said bell Fibe TV woulds be noticeable crappy on 55" or so, it looks fine for me here.
jws519
join:2020-02-01

jws519 to Anonc1173

to Anonc1173
When is this issue going to be fixed? It's been months and nothing from Start. This is a critical flaw with their TV service and should be fixed ASAP. Apparently Start does not care about their TV subscribers.

jeffrey15287
London, ON

1 recommendation

jeffrey15287

there not going to fix it they said google told them to change the functionality of the back button and ofcourse what google wants is far more important then what the paying customers want.
jeffrey15287

jeffrey15287 to Anonc1173

to Anonc1173
idk how anyone gets anywhere with CCTS complaints the one i made way back in june about channels freezing just finally got assigned to an investigator today.

plus they closed the complaint out 3 times all because start issued a 1 month credit that i didn't ask for or want and didn't resolve the issue.

basically the ccts claims that provider has 20 days to fix the issue then it should go to an investigator however after the 20 days passes it just goes into limbo for months well there telling u its waiting to be assigned but they can't tell u when that will happens how many cases are ahead nothing tooks months just to get someone assigned.

when i complained to them about it took over a month for a manger to call back just for them to say nothing we can do u have to wait some undisclosed amount of time.

even found the guy in charge of the CCTS gov phone no and he called me last week just to say nothing he can do that its "close to being picked up"
CyberMac
join:2019-01-09
North Bay, ON

1 recommendation

CyberMac

said by jeffrey15287:

idk how anyone gets anywhere with CCTS complaints the one i made way back in june about channels freezing just finally got assigned to an investigator today.

plus they closed the complaint out 3 times all because start issued a 1 month credit that i didn't ask for or want and didn't resolve the issue.

basically the ccts claims that provider has 20 days to fix the issue then it should go to an investigator however after the 20 days passes it just goes into limbo for months well there telling u its waiting to be assigned but they can't tell u when that will happens how many cases are ahead nothing tooks months just to get someone assigned.

when i complained to them about it took over a month for a manger to call back just for them to say nothing we can do u have to wait some undisclosed amount of time.

even found the guy in charge of the CCTS gov phone no and he called me last week just to say nothing he can do that its "close to being picked up"

It is cute that you believed the CRTC actually did anything.

jeffrey15287
London, ON
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

1 recommendation

jeffrey15287 to Anonc1173

to Anonc1173
well come feb it will have been a year since channels freezing up started and its no closer to being fixed now then it was then. in the past few days alone there has been dozens of outages/freeze ups.

been like 8 months since the last time they released any app updates.

c/s just has the same b/s about how telus has all these great changes just around the corner same b/s rocca said for years.

telus has had a year to fix this steaming pile of turds and they haven't even polished the turd.
classicaldog
join:2012-01-02
Thornhill, ON

1 recommendation

classicaldog

I get live freezes, PVR recordings that terminate prematurely. The first few months in 2024 are supposed to address some of the ISP, Cable competition issues by the CRTC and the minister. I'm not holding my breath but will watch to see if any significant changes might come along. Meanwhile for me my only alternative that gives me the channels, look-back and PVR features I want is Rogers. I watched a week of TV from Rogers at another residence, and was amazed that the images were smooth not jittery and always kept up, that no stream died in the middle of watching - as good as OTA! Maybe Bell is as good, but the only available internet is 50 down / 2 up - no fibre here.
CyberMac
join:2019-01-09
North Bay, ON

CyberMac

said by classicaldog:

I get live freezes, PVR recordings that terminate prematurely. The first few months in 2024 are supposed to address some of the ISP, Cable competition issues by the CRTC and the minister. I'm not holding my breath but will watch to see if any significant changes might come along. Meanwhile for me my only alternative that gives me the channels, look-back and PVR features I want is Rogers. I watched a week of TV from Rogers at another residence, and was amazed that the images were smooth not jittery and always kept up, that no stream died in the middle of watching - as good as OTA! Maybe Bell is as good, but the only available internet is 50 down / 2 up - no fibre here.

My guess would be that it had more to do with the speed the other residence had for Internet as I truly do not believe 40 down is sufficient for TV (as professed by Start) with other devices in the household. Even if lite browsing or email use. We initially had 60 down but upgraded during COVID to 120 down and it was a dramatic difference. The only bothersome issue now is the failing PVR when attempting to watch recorded shows. Happens all the time, at the start, middle, and of course most irritating, near the end.

I'm not sure if any other provider (Teksavvy, AltimaTel, Comwave, Sunwire) would be any better or just have different issues.

cwtech
Canada

1 recommendation

cwtech

said by CyberMac:

My guess would be that it had more to do with the speed the other residence had for Internet as I truly do not believe 40 down is sufficient for TV (as professed by Start) with other devices in the household. Even if lite browsing or email use. We initially had 60 down but upgraded during COVID to 120 down and it was a dramatic difference. The only bothersome issue now is the failing PVR when attempting to watch recorded shows. Happens all the time, at the start, middle, and of course most irritating, near the end.

the difference between first party tv service like Bell & Rogers, is that it's a managed service even though its IPTV, it has QoS priority, so no matter how much you abuse your internet, the TV will not be affected.

Start tv and all the others like it, are simple over the top services just like anything you watch on the internet like youtube or netflix.

jeffrey15287
London, ON

jeffrey15287

expect youtube and netflix don't suck ass and go down and freeze up all the time right when ur in the middle of watching shit.
CrackAttack
join:2020-01-17
Kanata, ON

2 recommendations

CrackAttack

It's definitely been worse recently, TSN has been terrible, with a freeze almost every time I watch one of the channels for any period of time. CTV hasn't been much better. Just a pile of crap. It boggles my mind too that there's no type of code that detects the dead feed (client side or server side) and tries to reset it. It just hangs forever.

jeffrey15287
London, ON
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

1 edit

jeffrey15287

said by CrackAttack:

It's definitely been worse recently, TSN has been terrible, with a freeze almost every time I watch one of the channels for any period of time. CTV hasn't been much better. Just a pile of crap. It boggles my mind too that there's no type of code that detects the dead feed (client side or server side) and tries to reset it. It just hangs forever.

ya everything seems to be manual done. i was bored the one day so when one of the freeze up happened that change changing wouldn't recover it. i called in and the front line person was chatting to someone higher up i guess that is in the office who reset something on there end that brought the channel back.

they had no idea the channel was down till i called and reported it.

i got a reply from Emilia C with more b/s about how there working on fixing it as fast as they can and fixes will be just around corner same shit they been saying since the spring.

i don't think the feeds are what is going down. from what dave had told me its starts crappy trans coding system thats why all this shit started sometime after they did the upgrades to 1080p is my guess. not sure why they didn't just do a roll back and go back 720p who knows.

there supposed fix for it is that there going to have telus pre trans code the video for them and send it to starts server but they claimed that would be done some time in dec but then again he claimed they though it would be done back in sept first. my guess is more delays cuz start has never had a track record for getting stuff done on time.
jeffrey15287

1 edit

jeffrey15287

Fire TV Stick 4K Max Gen2

»www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BXM37848?th=1

amazon is releasing a new 4k max stick next week.

the new one is improved in almost every way.

cpu 200mhz faster. gpu 100 mhz faster. support for wifi 6e, hdmi 2.1, bluetooth 5.2, storage doubled from 8 to 16 gig

about the only things they didn't improve is there still using a micro usb port for the power rather then going to usb c. and there still using the same basic remote.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Re: Fire TV Stick 4K Max Gen2

Just an FYI, its now 54.99 because its cyber monday.
Wyn
join:2019-10-28
Sercomm DM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-12
Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-LITE

3 recommendations

Wyn

Ccable plans now have higher upload

Click for full size
1Gb and 250 Mbps plans now have 100 Mbps upload instead of 30/20 Mbps. No price difference, didn't receive an email from start regarding it.
adit
join:2022-09-07

1 recommendation

adit

Re: Ccable plans now have higher upload

Interesting. Is this going to be applied automatically or do we need to call ? I'm on 1Gb plan and tests still shows 30 Mbs.

••••
adit

1 edit

1 recommendation

adit to Wyn

to Wyn
Talked with them. Looks like it is rolled out but they say that even Cogeco direct customers just start to see changes depending of the area. The change will be done automatically (may need to reset the modem when it becomes active, tried it but it is still 30 on my area). Expected in a week or two. From what I read on Cogeco forum, some areas in Oakville are already active, but not all.

•••

Start Adam
join:2020-10-29
London, ON
TP-Link Archer AX50

1 recommendation

Start Adam to Wyn

to Wyn
Guess that was you I talked to about this, Wyn

We confirmed the higher upload speeds are still being rolled out by Cogeco at this time, with no ETA on completion for any given area. The TPIA tariff was updated to reflect the 100Mbps upload tier without the additional context, but now that we've gotten some clarification we've reverted the website to show what most people will still be getting.

The higher upload speeds for the 1000 and non-legacy 250 will be applied automatically once available in your area, so no action needed on your part to get them once the rollout reaches you.
Wyn
join:2019-10-28

1 recommendation

Wyn

Re: Ccable plans now have higher upload

You were
adit

1 recommendation

adit to Start Adam

to Start Adam
I see a price change for Cogeco from 105 to 99. Is this going to be automatic or I have to call ?
Djmitch99
join:2014-06-07
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Djmitch99 to Wyn

to Wyn
I spoke to a Start rep last night who explained they(CCable) are discontinuing the 250 package, so the 100 upload will not be happening for me. They have a 300/30 package and 1000mb as well but the modem i have will not allow to go on the 300 or above. I would have to rent the modem for the 300 plan as i am not a new customer. I appreciate Start, but i'm stuck. The modem rental for the 300/30 is free for new customers. The rep said i wouldn't have to pay the modem rental for the 1000mb package but i really don't need that at the moment. So, i will stay on 250/20 until a better option comes available.

•••
adit

adit to Wyn

to Wyn
Any news about this ? I'm still at 30 Mbs. (Oakville).
seadragon
join:2012-11-08
Guelph, ON

4 edits

1 recommendation

seadragon

[Cable] Who is MULTIB showing in Speedtest?

Click for full size
Hi all. I’ve noticed lately that when I use the Speedtest app to test my internet connection, my provider now shows as “MULTIB” instead of “Start.ca”. Anyone else notice this too?

•••••••

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Dec 3 2023 Core Router 'Maintenance' at Start.ca

Dear User,

Start.ca will be performing scheduled network maintenance on Sunday, December 3, from 1 AM to 6 AM Eastern Time. This maintenance is crucial as it involves upgrading our router software and ensuring stability.

All efforts will be made to limit service disruption. We do not anticipate that service will be down for the entire duration of the window, but there will be multiple interruptions throughout the process.

If you encounter any service issues outside of the maintenance window, we recommend starting with a modem/ONT reboot.

Simply power off and on your modem/ONT to refresh your connection.

If problems persist or if you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our support team. We are available to assist you with any issues or questions you may have.

☏ 1-866-434-5888 | ✉ support@start.ca

Thank you for your understanding and for choosing Start.ca as your Friendly Internet Service Provider.

- Your Start.ca Team

The actual email contains the logos of Start.ca and the new grand owner Telus

Yikes, if it's anything like the other maintenance, patching, and upgrades they have done in the past...

People might want to do some ping/tracert testing before and after this "update" to judge the changes on their own.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••
ryancpwalsh
join:2017-06-26
London, ON

1 recommendation

ryancpwalsh

ITMP

Hello!

Does anyone have a link to any information regarding ITMP policy, times of day, types of traffic etc. being used by Start.ca?

I'm having some strange congestion issues throughout the business day and curious before I go down the rabbit hole if there is any information available about these practices at Start?

Note, I'm a cable based residential subscriber (internet + tv service) in London.

•••
caprcrn12
join:2018-01-03
London, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

caprcrn12

Start price changes for rCable Internet

I noticed the price changes for rCable Internet:

Cable 50: $60 -> $55
Cable 100: $60 -> $59
Cable 300: $85 -> $89
Cable 1000: $90 -> $99

I have not received a notification, so this maybe only new activations.

••••••••••••••••••

LondonDave
Premium Member
join:2011-09-05
London, ON
·Acanac

5 recommendations

LondonDave

Premium Member

HomePhone Pricing

I noticed today that homephone prices have changed with Start and I've been a Digital Voice Canada subscriber @ $15 since it was first offered back in 2014. The price is now $5 for Canada, $10 for CAN/US, and $15 for World.

I asked if I could update my billing to the new $5 price and was told that is only for new customers but I could upgrade to CAN/US and save $5 bucks. If I can upgrade to a cheaper plan why can't I just have the new price for the plan I'm on? Fongo is $5 so its not like its a stretch.

The service is good so I'm leaving things as is for now but I'm not impressed with some of the policy changes now.

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

1 edit

1 recommendation

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

[TV] Error 4-44-115

Another day, another recorded show that stops playback and ends up with the spinning wheel of death on the STB. On a tablet error 4-44-15 is given.

So what does it mean?

Edit: trying to play it on the STB now gives 4-44-505

•••••

jeffrey15287
London, ON
ADTRAN SDX 611
Asus GT-AXE16000
Grandstream HT801

1 recommendation

jeffrey15287

Paramount Network (Channel #203)

"As of December 31st, 2023, Paramount Network (Channel #203) will be removed by its provider, Viacom, and will no longer be available in the Start TV channel lineup. This will include access to all DVR content for this channel. If you have subscribed to this individual channel, it will be removed on this date and will be adjusted on your next bill cycle. There is no action required on your end. If you wish to discuss or make any changes to your package as a result of this channel removal, please give our team a call at 1-866-434-5888 and we'd be happy to help."

just got this email. sounds like there taking this channel out and it won't be replaced with anything else.

•••••••••••
Bismarck
join:2002-05-22

1 recommendation

Bismarck

Dec 6 2023 Core Router 'Maintenance' at Start.ca

Maintenance outage window Wednesday Dec 6, 12-3 AM EST.

This means tonight.

•••••••••••••••••••••

Anon3af0c
@209.195.248.x

Anon3af0c

Anon

Start TV & Samsung TVs?

Just curious how you go about watching Start TV on a Samsung TV? Is there an APP? I'm thinking not.

My other TV is a Sony Android and I believe StartTV has an app for it.

for samsung though, do I need the settop box? or firestick? Chromecast doesn't work well with the TV.

stream to TV from my phone?

Let me know if you have any solutions. Thank

••••
hockeyfan17
Corunna, ON

hockeyfan17

Tsn app

Is anyone else having issues with the tsn app today. I usually sign in with my tv service provider login and gain access to all 5 tsn channels. This morning I have access to tsn 2 only. I contacted start service and they are digging into it. This is on an Apple TV tsn app but seems to be affecting the tsn app on my phone too. When I click on the other 4 channels it says to contact tv service provider to manage account. I am wondering if I am the only one with the issue

•••

hagbard72
join:2000-10-02
Kingsville

1 edit

hagbard72

Poor speed in Essex county?

Anyone else here in Essex county getting exceptionally low upload speed (mine is about 0.11). My downloads were almost as bad before rebooting the modem three times now they're good. I'd call them but my phone is on VOIP and if it goes down, won't be able to communicate. I'm 90% sure its not on my end (had cable internet since 1996 so I've been through the whole rodeo).

Looks like they just fixed it.
thepope0
join:2006-11-02
London, ON

1 edit

thepope0

Re: Poor speed in Essex county?

Same here in Thames Centre.

Anone42b1
@207.244.71.x

Anone42b1 to hagbard72

Anon

to hagbard72
Just started happening to me as well (Thames Centre, Dorchester). Usually between 4pm-10pm, Rogers was in my area about a week ago, so I'm not sure if that was related to the problem.
Kiwi
join:2022-06-06
CA

Kiwi

Internet dies every other night or so

Every other night (sometimes multiple nights in a row) at around 3:19-3:20AM, the internet goes down. I think it comes back pretty quickly on the modem side but my router doesn't seem to pick up on this.

It will continue to show the the IP and "connected", however it remains I can't connect anywhere until I manually stop and start the WAN on the router when I notice that it's down.

How can I fix this?

•••••••••••

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

[TV] Yet another CTV2 London rant CH 132

Error 4-44-821 again, you can channel up, down or go directly to it and the indicator spins like a summer tire on a sheet of ice

••••••••••••••
ramarian
Premium Member
join:2006-04-08
London, ON

2 recommendations

ramarian

Premium Member

[rCable] Should I get my modem upgraded?

Been with Start since November 2017 and currently still using the original Technicolor TC4350 modem with an Apple AirPort Extreme router on the Home 75 Cable plan. Everything is working fine with all my devices (iPhones, iPad, MacBook, HP Laptop, printer, StartTV, AppleTV, SmartTVs).

I been thinking about getting a newer router like the TP- Link (Archer AXE75) and was wondering if I should be getting a more updated modem. I see the list of compatible modems on Start's webpage, but what modem does Start provide now? Should I get the modem from them or go and purchase one of the listed CDN, Hitron or Sercomm modems myself?

Just looking for opinions before I go out and do any upgrades. Thanks!

••••••••
hockeyfan17
Corunna, ON

1 recommendation

hockeyfan17

Stability issues gone?

I don’t want to jinx it, but the last few days I have not had any freezes with the tv service. Tsn 1 in particular used to freeze so often that I always logged in with tsn app instead. Fingers crossed that they have found the solution. Not sure if the switch to telus doing the upscaling before handing it over to start has happened now.

•••••••••

LondonDave
Premium Member
join:2011-09-05
London, ON
·Acanac

LondonDave

Premium Member

Start digital phone provider

Now that Start is owned by Telus I wonder why they are still using a third party provider for phone service. Now don't get me wrong I've had homephone since 2014 and directnet has been stable but it seems like it would be cheaper to leverage Telus and its extensive backbone for calling.

•••
page: 1 · 2 · next