spc
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Netbios fiction

The Netbios session service is alleged to use 139/TCP and 139/UDP. In fact, it only uses TCP. A reliable connection-oriented session service over UDP would be pointless (you'd have to reinvent the capabilities of TCP, and TCP already has them).

Enoss
@rr.com

Enoss

Anon

average joe

I would suppose this port is used for uploading in winmx

The_Merovingian

Anon

OS X UDP Port 137, 138, 139 Kill

To Disable Ports 137, 138, and 139 in Mac OS X, turn off passive FTP (system prefs/network/proxies/the box labeled Use Passive FTP Mode... You would have personally turned it on when you enabled the firewall) if you are behind OS X's built in firewall. You will not be able to download from FTP sites, but you will have 3 less UDP ports open. This one is for the exceptionally paranoid.

rv
@verizon.net

rv

Anon

Re: OS X UDP Port 137, 138, 139 Kill

I have passive ftp turned on in the Network preferences and ports 137 to 139 are not open. If ftp is checked in sharing prefs then ports 20-21 and ports above 1023 can be open.
If passive ftp is checked then you should be able to initiate connections and receive ftp downloads but no one externally should be able to initiate a connection to your machine. I have not had trouble downloading and scans don't show open ports to the outside with passive checked.

rv
hollie8
join:2004-02-02
England

hollie8 to The_Merovingian

to The_Merovingian
How would you disable these ports on a machine using Windows XP?

Thanks
plaintiger
join:2002-06-07
Huntington, NY

plaintiger to The_Merovingian

to The_Merovingian
said by The_Merovingian:
To Disable Ports 137, 138, and 139 in Mac OS X, turn off passive FTP (system prefs/network/proxies/the box labeled Use Passive FTP Mode... You would have personally turned it on when you enabled the firewall) if you are behind OS X's built in firewall. You will not be able to download from FTP sites, but you will have 3 less UDP ports open. This one is for the exceptionally paranoid.

for reference, i just disabled passive ftp, ran tests to make sure my UDP ports all showed filtered (they do), and then tried to connect to a couple of ftp sites and succeeded, no problems. so disabling passive ftp does not necessarily render one unable to connect to all ftp sites. some of them, perhaps...but i haven't encountered any like that yet.
kyle991
join:2003-02-27
Jackson, MS

kyle991

Virus question???

hey, i VBS/Psyme virus. i can't get it out. is there any other option other than having to reinstall my os ??

ImTheAno
@optonline.net

ImTheAno

Anon

ImTheAno

This is for anyone....... Between yesterday and today I have been attacked by 13 Trojan(s). I have not checked to see if it is the same one or not. Anyway, I have both McAfee and AVG virus protectors. AVG is the one that keeps alerting me to the attacks and suggest that I run a virus scan while McAfee does not even notice the attacks. I run a virus scan using both protectors and other then the first attack where a virus was detected the other 12 have all come back clean.

I don't understand this????????

I have been into McAfee to check ports and one test said 135,137,138 and 139 were open but when I looked them up to close them it showed they were already secure.

Is this a malfunction of some sort? Do I have something in my computer that has magically become invisible/undetectable? Why am I all of a sudden being constantly attacked?

My computer for all intents and purposes runs completely normal with only on real issue I have noticed and that is while trying to do a ports check through McAfee only one "check" works the other 3 come back with "page not available" and I can't get through.

If anyone can help in any way I would be most appreciative.

Thank You, Susan.
Chalan728
join:2003-10-25
Santa Clara, CA

Chalan728

UDP ports 137, 138 and 139

How would you disable (close) UDP ports 137, 138 and 139 on a machine using Windows 98?

Thanks.
Chalan728

Chalan728

Re: UDP ports 137, 138 and 139

BTW, I forgot to mention on the previous message that I'm using a Linksys router, model BEFW11S4.

Your suggestion is appreciated.

Thank.

macuser84
@txstate.edu

macuser84

Anon

MACS

get a mac and theres so much less you have to worry about....yes i know there are viruses for them and my luck ill get one right after i post this but for all the microsoft questions i would never be able to have an answer because there are dozens of new viruses and breaches each day...its too much of a hassle to even deal with.

page449
@ny325.east.verizon.n

page449

Anon

Re: MACS(typ mac usr)

what a pretentious, unhelpful comment!
and, dare I say, typical of mac usrs.
page449

page449 to macuser84

Anon

to macuser84

Re:UDP Ports

a good place to start is Steve Gibson's site;
Gibson Research
»www.grc.com
He's been a key player since before Micro$loth was big. (yes, there really was such a time).
you will find alot of good truthful info and various online security tests.

MacAttac
@tampabay.res.rr

MacAttac

Anon

Re:UDP Ports

I just wanted to pour salt in the woud, so...... Get a Mac. Better yet, get 2 or maybe one dual processor PowerMac.....