Earthquakes, Fiber, and Spam
Cut fiber results in spam drop; some telcos see no need for upgrades
The recent 6.7 magnitude quake
off the coast of Taiwan resulted in severed fiber and a routing nightmare for many Asian network operators. The fiber redundancy we take for granted in the States (320 GB/s between NY and London) is severely lacking in the Pacific. While the quake renewed calls for added Asia fiber routes, the reality is that soaring demand in Asia was already prompting companies -- some just recovering from the nineties fiber glut -- to act.
Note the $500 million, 11,000 mile route that Verizon Business yesterday reminded everyone
they are planning, which will ultimately provide 5 terabits of connectivity between Oregon and China, with stops in Tanshui, Taiwan, and Keoje, South Korea. Of course, not everyone thinks it's worth adding more fiber routes -- the biggest telcos in both South Korea and Taiwan today claimed no upgrades are necessary
because earthquakes are "rare"
in the Pacific.
Hidden among the expected post-quake dissections of the net's frailty was a discussion over the impact the outage had on overall global spam levels. A network admin for one Wyoming ISP proclaimed they saw a massive drop in spam
, complaining that "95% of the traffic we receive from the Asia-Pacific region is spam."
One network operator in Hong Kong reminds them
that the U.S. is still top dog when it comes to spam output, and the reason all their e-mail from Asia is spam is because the users of their "tiny ISP in Podunk"
don't know anyone in Asia.
| |OwlbetIgnite the IcePremium,MVM
| |said by dadkins:LOL, David, they've never heard of the Pacific Ring of Fire.
Maybe not *IN* the Pacific... but everywhere *AROUND* the Pacific is very active!
Why is it then that I have a tsunami warning center in my backyard? Well, almost in my backyard. The West Coast/Alaska Tsunami Warning Center operated by NOAA is located right in Palmer. The other one for the west coast is located in Ewa Beach, Hawaii.
Once again back on topic, I have noticed a marked decrease in spam in my Yahoo and Hotmail accounts.
Hmmm This must explain why my Hentai BT downloads are so slow
. About that spam, my main business email address gets around 5,000 spam mails/day (of which, all but a dozen-ish make it through thanks to SpamAssasian).
Of that ~5,000, 90% are from Asia(about half are even in Chinese), 5% or so are from the US, and the other 5% are from Europe.
Now, strangely, 90% of the viruses I get in my email are from Europe, and the other 10% are a mix from US and China.
I have many many email accounts, and my main one isnt special by any means, those spam numbers are about the same on all of them from where the spam and viruses come from.
»www.WiiNetCommunity.com FREE RELIABLE WEB HOSTING!