said by SteelerRaw :Evidently he is RIGHT this time. Sprint has confirmed that they are in talks with Softbank.
Just a piece of unsolicited advice. Take any 'reporting' that Dana Blankenhorn does which even remotely has anything to do with Sprint with a huge grain of salt. That guy has been wrong about S so often, it isn't funny.
Sprint has confirmed that it's holding discussions with Softbank. The company stopped short of saying that it will accept a full buyout, saying instead that the firms are discussing a "substantial investment." Here is Sprint's comment on the matter:
"Sprint today confirmed that it is currently engaged in discussions with Softbank regarding a potential substantial investment by Softbank in Sprint. Although there can be no assurances that these discussions will result in any transaction or on what terms any transaction may occur, such a transaction could involve a change of control of Sprint. Sprint does not intend to comment further unless and until an agreement is reached."
said by FFH5:Right about what exactly? This was widely reported before Blankenhorn weighed in on the matter. No, I was referring to his opinion on what a potential Sprint/Softbank tie-up could mean. The guy is very bearish on S, though his reasons don't usually add up. Pretty much every time he's made a gloom and doom prediction regarding S, the stock has surged. Even he will (grudgingly) admit to this.
Evidently he is RIGHT this time. Sprint has confirmed that they are in talks with Softbank.
said by hottboiinnc:When I have a choice between a U.S. firm and a non-U.S. firm, and the U.S. firm is roughly competitive, I'll choose the U.S. firm every time.
So just because Sprint would be owned by a non US company you wouldn't do business with them?
The only exception to that rule is the thing that calls itself "AT&T."
said by skurfa4:Incorrect. Vodafone owns 45% of VZW while Verizon owns the other 55% and thereby controls VZW.
Then you might have a problem if this goes through as you seem to have eliminated everyone but Verizon....Verizon Wireless is 50% owned by Vodafone, A British company.
said by Broadband123 :49% would be even shyer, but would still not constitute a controlling interest.
Vodaphone (Europe) owns a 45% stake in Verizon Wireless. That's just shy of a majority control we're talking here.