spc
Search similar:

uniqs
RyanD1984
join:2005-01-13
Waterloo, IA

RyanD1984

[IA] Email Problems

I haven't been able to log into my Mediacom email through outlook express in about 5 days or so. I have been having to check it through the website.

When outlook express opens, and the send/receive box comes up...the send/receive box doesn't even let me put in my password. It right away says this error: "The host 'mail' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'mail', Server: 'mail', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

I tried it on my other computer, and can't get on through outlook express to this email account on that one either. The other email accounts work, just not this one. Anyone know what the deal is?

elderrain
Im from Cuba MANG
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
Massena, NY

elderrain

Premium Member

Here Try This
United States *

Microsoft.com Home | Site Map
Microsoft *
Search Microsoft.com for:
Help and Support
Help and Support Home | Select a Product | Search (KB)
How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and receive e-mail in Outlook and in Outlook Express
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 813514
Last Review : March 23, 2005
Revision : 7.1
On this page
SYMPTOMS SYMPTOMS
CAUSE CAUSE
WORKAROUND WORKAROUND
Method 1: Confirm that your e-mail server settings are correct Method 1: Confirm that your e-mail server settings are correct
Method 2: Examine the configuration of your firewall software Method 2: Examine the configuration of your firewall software
Method 3: Check your antivirus vendor's Web site for additional suggestions Method 3: Check your antivirus vendor's Web site for additional suggestions
Method 4: Determine whether your modem is functioning correctly Method 4: Determine whether your modem is functioning correctly
Method 5: Verify the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size that is set on your router Method 5: Verify the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size that is set on your router
Method 6: Remove and then reinstall Outlook Express Method 6: Remove and then reinstall Outlook Express
Method 7: Create a new e-mail profile Method 7: Create a new e-mail profile
Method 8: Delete suspicious messages from your mailbox Method 8: Delete suspicious messages from your mailbox
MORE INFORMATION MORE INFORMATION
APPLIES TO APPLIES TO
SYMPTOMS
Important This article contains information that shows you how to help lower security settings or how to turn off security features on a computer. You can make these changes to work around a specific problem. Before you make these changes, we recommend that you evaluate the risks that are associated with implementing this workaround in your particular environment. If you implement this workaround, take any appropriate additional steps to help protect your system.
When you try to send and receive e-mail, you may receive an error message that is similar to one of the following:
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
The server could not be found. (Account:account name, POPserver:'mail', Error Number: 0x800ccc0d)
Task 'server name - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800ccc0f): 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: ? K'
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account. account name, Server: 'server name', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): N0, Error Number: 0x800ccc0f
Task 'SMTP server name - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x80042109): 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server 0x8004210a
A time-out occurred while communicating with the server 0x800ccc19
You may also receive an error message that includes one or more of the following error codes:
• 0x800ccc15
• 0x80042108
• 0x800ccc0e
• 0x8004210b
• 0x800CCC0B
• 0x800CCC79
• 0x800ccc67
Back to the top Back to the top
CAUSE
These error messages may occur if Microsoft Outlook or if Microsoft Outlook Express cannot establish a connection with your e-mail server. These error messages are frequently caused by one of the following:
• Incorrect account settings
• Misconfiguration of personal firewall software
• Antivirus software
• A bad modem
• Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size
• Outlook Express has been removed from the computer or the installation is damaged
• Your user profile in Outlook is damaged
• An e-mail item on your POP3 server is damaged
WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, use one of the following methods, depending on your situation.
Method 1: Confirm that your e-mail server settings are correct
For information about the correct settings for your e-mail server, contact your Internet service provider (ISP) or system administrator.

Note Some ISPs do not permit message routing through another SMTP server while you are connected to their network. To resolve this problem, replace the SMTP server for the other ISP or the other e-mail account by using the SMTP server that is associated with the ISP that you use to connect to the Internet.

If you notice that your account settings have been changed to "Localhost" in the Post Office Protocol (POP) server settings and "account name/pop server name" in the Account Name box on the Server tab and you are using Trend Micro PC-cillin antivirus software, disable the POP3 Scan feature (Pop3trap.exe) of the Trend PC-cillin software.
Method 2: Examine the configuration of your firewall software
Warning This workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.
Important These steps may increase your security risk. These steps may also make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We recommend the process that this article describes to enable programs to operate as they are designed to, or to implement specific program capabilities. Before you make these changes, we recommend that you evaluate the risks that are associated with implementing this process in your particular environment. If you choose to implement this process, take any appropriate additional steps to help protect your system. We recommend that you use this process only if you really require this process.Configure your firewall software to grant access to the Internet for the following files:
• For Outlook Express: Msimn.exe
• For Outlook: Outlook.exe
By default, most e-mail clients have to have outgoing access on port 25 and incoming access on port 110. For more information about the ports that communicate with your e-mail server, contact your ISP or system administrator.

Firewall software that has been known to cause this problem includes products by the following vendors:
• McAfee
• Symantec
• ZoneLabs
• Cisco
• Sygate
• Sonicwall
• Freedom Security Zero Knowledge
McAfee Personal Firewall
Check your configuration settings in the McAfee Personal Firewall program and make sure that Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Outlook Express has full access.

For more information about how to configure McAfee Personal Firewall, visit the following McAfee Web site:
»www.mcafee.com
Alternatively, you can remove and reinstall the McAfee Personal Firewall program. The reinstallation process recreates the program signature file that is used by the firewall. Additionally, this process makes sure that both Outlook and Outlook Express are included in the list of programs where Internet access is permitted.
Norton Personal Firewall (Symantec)
If you are running Norton Personal Firewall 2002, Norton Internet Security, or Norton SystemWorks software by Symantec, contact Symantec product support for upgrade or reconfiguration instruction to resolve your problem.

For more information about how to contact Symantec, view the Symantec contact information described later in this article.
Method 3: Check your antivirus vendor's Web site for additional suggestions
If your antivirus solution includes an e-mail scanning feature, you may have to do additional configuration to use Outlook or Outlook Express with the antivirus e-mail scanning feature.

Antivirus software that has been known to cause this problem includes products by the following vendors:
• Symantec (Norton)
• McAfee
• Trend Micro (PC-cillin)
• Panda
For more information, visit the following Web sites:

Symantec:
»www.symantec.com/techsupp/
McAfee:
»us.mcafee.com/root/suppo ··· cid=9045
Trend Micro:
»kb.trendmicro.com/soluti ··· sionID=0
Panda:
»www.pandasoftware.com/su ··· ult.aspx
Note An antivirus program is designed to help protect your computer from viruses. You must not download or open files from sources that you do not trust, visit Web sites that you do not trust, or open e-mail attachments when your antivirus program is disabled.

For additional information about computer viruses, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
129972 Computer viruses: description, prevention, and recovery
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Method 4: Determine whether your modem is functioning correctly
Contact the vendor of your modem to determine whether there are any known issues or updates for the type of modem you are using.

TimeWarner RoadRunner cable service has confirmed that there is a known problem with the older Toshiba models of their cable modems.
Method 5: Verify the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size that is set on your router
The MTU size set on your router may not let packets larger than a certain size to pass through. These types of errors generally occur if you are connecting to the Internet through a Linksys BEFSR41 router, a Linksys BEFSR81 router, or a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. These routers have Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) problems that may cause timeout errors when you send e-mail messages.

To resolve this problem, change the MTU setting for your router. For information about how to do this, view the documentation that is included with your router, or visit the following Linksys Web site:
»www.linksys.com/support/ ··· ?spid=87
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Note This problem may also occur if there is a misconfigured router or device between the user and their mail provider. These types of devices are known as 'black hole' routers.

For additional information about troubleshooting "black hole" router issues, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314825 How to troubleshoot black hole router issues
159211 Diagnoses and treatment of black hole routers
156438 Internet mail or news reader software hangs or times out
Method 6: Remove and then reinstall Outlook Express
If Outlook Express has been removed from your computer or the installation of Outlook Express is damaged, Outlook will not function correctly and may generate one of the error messages that are mentioned in the "Symptoms" section. To resolve this problem, reinstall Outlook Express.

For additional information, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
318378 How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP
263837 How to manually remove and reinstall Outlook Express in Windows 2000
256219 How to manually uninstall and reinstall Outlook Express 5.x and
For additional information explaining why Outlook Express is required to use Outlook, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
230076 Why Outlook 2000 requires Outlook Express
Method 7: Create a new e-mail profile
You may be able to resolve these problems by creating a new e-mail profile.

For additional information about how to create profiles in Outlook, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
829918 How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2003
287072 How to create a new e-mail profile for Outlook
195718 How to create a new e-mail profile for Outlook
Method 8: Delete suspicious messages from your mailbox
If there is a damaged message in your mailbox, you can resolve this by doing one of the following:
• Contact your ISP and ask them to delete any suspicious e-mail.
• Delete any suspicious e-mail by accessing your mailbox by using your ISP's Web-based e-mail program.
MORE INFORMATION
If the error code is accompanied by a timeout error message, you may be able to resolve this problem by increasing the server timeout setting in Outlook or in Outlook Express. To increase the server timeout setting, use one of the following methods.
Outlook 2000 (CW)
1. Start Outlook.
2. On the Tools menu, click Services.
3. On the Services tab, select Internet E-mail, and then click Properties.
4. Click the Advanced tab.
5. Gradually increase the server timeout setting until the problem is resolved.
Outlook 2000 (IMO)
1. Start Outlook.
2. On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
3. Select the target account, and then click Properties.
4. Click the Advanced tab.
5. Gradually increase the server timeout setting until the problem is resolved.
Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003
1. Start Outlook.
2. On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
3. Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
4. Click your POP3 account, and then click Change.
5. Click More Settings.
6. Click the Advanced tab.
7. Gradually increase the server timeout setting until the issue is resolved.
Outlook Express 5.x and 6.0
1. Start Outlook Express.
2. On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
3. Click the Mail tab.
4. Click your POP3 account, and then click Properties.
5. Click the Advanced tab.
6. Gradually increase the server timeout setting until the problem is resolved.
APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
• Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
• Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5
RyanD1984
Waterloo, IA

RyanD1984

This is just extremely weird....because I did not change any settings. It just stopped working. Plus, I went to a whole different computer (where I couldn't have done anything with the settings) and my accoutn won't work on there either (get the same error message), but the other accounts work.

elderrain
Im from Cuba MANG
Premium Member
Massena, NY

elderrain

Premium Member

When you the settings in tools and then options
does it say mail.mchsi.com
RyanD1984
Waterloo, IA

RyanD1984

^^^I'm not sure what part you are talking about. Go to tools, then options, where are you looking for that at then?
RyanD1984

RyanD1984

Oh....you mean in the "incoming mail" section when you go to manage your identities under the servers section. No...I had just "mail" for the incoming (pop3) and outgoing (smtp) part. That has always worked for me, for more than 2 years. I don't know why all of the sudden it stopped working? I just changed it to mail.mchsi.com and now it worked!

elderrain
Im from Cuba MANG
Premium Member
Massena, NY

elderrain to RyanD1984

Premium Member

to RyanD1984
no goto tools and then goto accounts and then click on the mail tab and then click the properties and then click the server tab and then it will show you the mail.mchai.com
elderrain

elderrain

Premium Member

ok cool
glad i was able to help
RyanD1984
Waterloo, IA

RyanD1984 to elderrain

to elderrain
Yep...I just had "mail" there before. Did they just change this or something? Because that is what I have had there for years, and now all the sudden this week that didnt work anymore and you had to have "mail.mchsi.com"?
RyanD1984

RyanD1984

Thanks man.

elderrain
Im from Cuba MANG
Premium Member
Massena, NY

elderrain to RyanD1984

Premium Member

to RyanD1984
I can't say but i always know that if that happens just add that and it will work..
use to work for bellsouth tech support and had that error all the time and people was shock that it was suppose be that...
LisaL2
join:2005-04-25
Waterloo, IA

LisaL2

Ok - I'm having the same problem, and it began on April 17, so RyanD1984, maybe you passed your problem on to me, because I'm also in Waterloo!!! Unfortunately, my incoming and outgoing settings are - and have always been - set to mail.mchsi.com. This is the error I get: "A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'Mediacom Mail', Server: 'mail.mchsi.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19." Then it keeps wanting to check every 60 seconds. I have Norton Internet Security, and I set it to allow all access for Outlook Express. Still nothing.

elderrain
Im from Cuba MANG
Premium Member
Massena, NY

elderrain

Premium Member

Have you check norton antivirus to see if it is blocking incoming message.
I beilve you would have open it and click on options and then disbale the incoming and outgoing scan.
Also try turning of norton and then try again
LisaL2
join:2005-04-25
Waterloo, IA

LisaL2

Hey, it worked! I just temporarily turned off both norton personal firewall and intrusion detector and all those e-mails came in. Now, I manually turned them off again, it it's the same thing. Oh, well - I can tweak it later. At least I know it does have to do with Norton. Thanks for the suggestion! Earlier, when I tried to remove Outlook Express from the program list in personal firewall, Norton would just stop responding. Thanks again!

elderrain
Im from Cuba MANG
Premium Member
Massena, NY

elderrain

Premium Member

Your welcome