Tools Are Using Me
Premium Member
join:2002-01-25
Lithia, FL

1 edit

TechieZero

Premium Member

[Vista] Recycle Bin Icon & Striped SATA Drives

My set-up currently has 2 SATA drives that are striped (one logical image) and one PATA drive in Vista 32.

When I delete a file in the PATA drive, the recycle bin Icon changes to the proper bloated image.

When I delete a file in the Striped SATA drives, the recycle bin Icon DOES NOT CHANGE to the proper bloated image.

If you open the Bin, in both occurances you will see the files.

Additionally if you do a reboot, the Icon will reflect the correct status.

Anyone see this before?

tekmunki
Tekmunki
Premium Member
join:2001-12-06
Lake City, FL

1 edit

tekmunki

Premium Member

Instead of rebooting, I bet the f5 (refresh) key works on the desktop to update it.

Has something to do with the way Vista caches the thumbnail images of the icons I think. I don't think it involves your drive setup at all. There's a way to repair it-

Right click a blank area of the desktop, click "personalize"

click "CHANGE DESKTOP ICONS" (on the left side)

Change the recycle bin icon, and the recycle bin full icon to something completely different.

apply, and OK. Now the icons should have changed...

Reboot the PC, and then change the icons back to the defaults (manually select the icons to reset them, don't click the "reset defaults" button).

TechieZero
Tools Are Using Me
Premium Member
join:2002-01-25
Lithia, FL

TechieZero

Premium Member

said by tekmunki:

Instead of rebooting, I bet the f5 (refresh) key works on the desktop to update it.

Has something to do with the way Vista caches the thumbnail images of the icons I think. I don't think it involves your drive setup at all. There's a way to repair it-

Right click a blank area of the desktop, click "personalize"

click "CHANGE DESKTOP ICONS" (on the left side)

Change the recycle bin icon, and the recycle bin full icon to something completely different.

apply, and OK. Now the icons should have changed...

Reboot the PC, and then change the icons back to the defaults (manually select the icons to reset them, don't click the "reset defaults" button).
I will try all of these when I get home today. Thanks.
TechieZero

TechieZero

Premium Member

Wow. This worked. Thanks you answered a question the M$ boards still have not answered!

tekmunki
Tekmunki
Premium Member
join:2001-12-06
Lake City, FL

tekmunki

Premium Member

Glad to hear it worked.