Search similar:

uniqs

MikegotOOL
join:2001-01-21
East Setauket, NY

1 edit

MikegotOOL

[memory] Acer 5570Z laptop maximum ram

Hi all, I have a Acer aspire 5570z and was wondering what the max ram is for this laptop? I bought 2x2GB dual channel ram for it and windows vista home premium (32bit) only recognizes upto 2GB, but CPU-Z recognizes more than that. Can this lappy take 4GB of memory or not? If not, is it possible to flash the bios so that it can take 4GB?

Edit: Crucial.com says this lappy can take 4GB....

thanks!

yuutomo
The Wonder Kitter
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Seeley Lake, MT

1 recommendation

yuutomo

Premium Member

but you'll need a 64 bit operation system to use 4GB of ram.

Airwolf
Premium Member
join:2001-10-30
Windsor, ON

4 edits

1 recommendation

Airwolf to MikegotOOL

Premium Member

to MikegotOOL
I would head over to the Microsoft forum for a full, blownout discussion on it.

Basically, a 32bit OS will not address 4GB without the help of PAE which is Physical Address Extension. It extends to 36bit. Really you should goto a 64bit OS to address more than 3.whateverthenumberis GB of RAM.

»www.microsoft.com/whdc/s ··· drv.mspx

MikegotOOL
East Setauket, NY

MikegotOOL

Ok...but shouldn't the lappy see morethan 2GB then? I have heard of people putting in 4GB, but windows will only "see" 3GB or 3.5GB of the 4GB. In my case, windoze only sees 2GB. I am not sure this is a windows issue. In other words, switching to 64bit windows may not solve my problem, I may only be able to see 2GB still if the hardware is the limiting factor....

Airwolf
Premium Member
join:2001-10-30
Windsor, ON

1 edit

Airwolf

Premium Member

You will have to use the PAE switch.

MikegotOOL
East Setauket, NY

MikegotOOL

Yea, I update PAE to enable using the command line and still doesn't recognize more than 2GB of memory even though I have 2GB +512MB stick installed.

As outlined here: »support.microsoft.com/kb/929580

"To enable PAE mode, you have to add PAE to the boot entry in the BCD file. Open an elevated command prompt. Type BCDEDIT /SET PAE ForceEnable. "

If I install both 2GB stix in the memory slots, the lappy will not boot, but will power on. If I install a 2GB stick in the first slot and 512MB in the second slot the comp will still not boot. However, if I reverse the order, the comp. will boot that is if I have 512MB in the first slot and 2GB in the second the comp. will boot and only read 2GB of memory.
MikegotOOL

2 edits

MikegotOOL

»support.acer-euro.com/dr ··· 570.html

Could I use this BIOS update 1.3503 (for acer aspire 5570) to update my BIOS possibly?
or the other update for vista 1.3223.
Current bios version is 1.3221
MikegotOOL

1 edit

MikegotOOL

Upgraded to 1.3223 firmware and still reads 2GB...
even »ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/n ··· sta).pdf
says I can have 4GB of ram...with dual channel sodimms...

BobbytheBrain
@sbcglobal.net

BobbytheBrain to MikegotOOL

Anon

to MikegotOOL
When I was reading various reviews of the Acer, the 2gb maximum was usually mentioned. No idea if it is true or not, but someone mentioned that this was a limit of the chipset.

MikegotOOL
East Setauket, NY

MikegotOOL

Any way to find out whether it is the chipset, the operating system, or the BIOS that is limiting the memory?
MikegotOOL

MikegotOOL

I searched another forum and got this »techrepublic.com.com/520 ··· =2264083
and tried the suggestion, but windows will not allow the max memory to be changed. It always goes back to 2048MB.
MikegotOOL

4 edits

MikegotOOL to BobbytheBrain

to BobbytheBrain
said by BobbytheBrain :

When I was reading various reviews of the Acer, the 2gb maximum was usually mentioned. No idea if it is true or not, but someone mentioned that this was a limit of the chipset.
It is possible. I am unsure as to the chipset that I have; my model comes with Intel media accelerator 950. I found a very informational chart here on intel's websire:»compare.intel.com/pcc/sh ··· re=en-US
I think I have the 945Gm or 945PM chipset.
On one website I found that this laptop has the Mobile Intel® 943GML Express chipset. How is this possible? Does 943GML support dual core processors? If not, then I have, as the manual states, a 945GM/945PM chipset.

Update : I removed the bottom lid, and searched for an intel chip on the mainboard and found that i have:
intel
82801GBM
L6450007
SL8YB
Is it possible from this info. to know the chipset I have?

BobbytheBrain
@sbcglobal.net

Anon

to MikegotOOL
Just download & run cpu-z. There should be a "mainboard" tab with the chipset info.
»www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Then check wikipedia and see if the chipset supports 4GB.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· Chipsets

MikegotOOL
East Setauket, NY

MikegotOOL

cpu-z says that it is i943/940GML chipset. I guess this means that the acer manual is incorrect?

marvin_glen
@meridiantelekoms.com

marvin_glen to MikegotOOL

Anon

to MikegotOOL
the maximum ram can be adjusted. i just forgot where it is but you might want to explore it in the control panel or in the acer software. I'm sure it was set only in 2GB but you can change it. no need for a 64 bit OS
marvin_glen

marvin_glen to MikegotOOL

Anon

to MikegotOOL
i got it. go to Start/Run. Type msconfig. on the boot tab,click advanced options. Maximum memory should either be unchecked or set it to 4GB if it has 4GB memory. email me if this doesn't help. marvin_glen@yahoo.com

MikegotOOL
East Setauket, NY

MikegotOOL

said by marvin_glen :

i got it. go to Start/Run. Type msconfig. on the boot tab,click advanced options. Maximum memory should either be unchecked or set it to 4GB if it has 4GB memory. email me if this doesn't help. marvin_glen@yahoo.com
I tried this method before and it didn't work at all (as outlined above). I think acer made a mistake in the manual...unless there is something i am overlooking.

BobbytheBrain
@sbcglobal.net

Anon

to MikegotOOL
Just to verify cpu-z's chipset ID, you might want to download & run Intel's own utility.

»downloadcenter.intel.com ··· lang=eng

MikegotOOL
East Setauket, NY

MikegotOOL

it says the following:
"Intel® Chipset Identification Utility
System Information
Chipset

Detected Chipset:
Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Chipsets or Intel(R) 945GT Express Chipset

Chipset Components

Memory Controller:
82945GM/GMS/82940GML or 82945GT

I/O Controller:
Intel(R) 82801GBM I/O controller hub (ICH7M)"
..this doesn't really tell me the chipset i have...

BobbytheBrain
@sbcglobal.net

Anon

to MikegotOOL
One would think that Intel's utility would be at least useful. Looks like the only one that can give a definitive answer to your question is Acer themselves.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130 to MikegotOOL

Premium Member

to MikegotOOL
FWIW,

Kingston's online configurator shows the 5570 supporting 4GB. It shows the 5570Z supporting 2GB.

Simpletech's online configurator shows a 5570 AS5570-4174 supporting 4GB and a 5570 AS5572ZNWXMi supporting only 2.

Obviously there are multiple flavors of the 5570 out there. You need to consult Acer.

MikegotOOL
East Setauket, NY

MikegotOOL

they claimed the OS was the limiting factor....but that doesn't make any sense since 32bit vista should show more than 2GB since I have 2.5GB installed.
msala77
join:2007-12-28

msala77 to MikegotOOL

to MikegotOOL
I have this exact same problem. =(

asdfjkl
@bellsouth.net

asdfjkl to MikegotOOL

Anon

to MikegotOOL
I am also having the same problem. I went to acer's website to see if i could update my BIOS but i already have the undated version that is supposed to fix this problem, "Flash BIOS v1.3505
Addresses dual RAM module issues." This was actually found for the 5570 but mine, 5570z was running the same BIOS anyways. If anyone finds out how to fix this problem please let us know.

I also tried the msconfig - boot - advance options...but it will only allow 2048mb of ram. Pretty f'd up that the manual says that it will support it when it actually doesn't! Vista isn't even recognizing the 512mb i left in there when i upgraded to a 2gb stick? The Acer eSettings Management is recognizing it but not the Windows OS. It also says in the eSettings Management that it is upgradeable to 4gb!! Here is exactly what the eSettings Management says:

Memory

Current Memory Size 2.5 GB
Supported Maximum Memory Size 4 GB
Supported Types DDR2
Memory Slots 2
Slot 1
Installed Size 512 MB
Slot 2
Installed Size 2 GB

MikegotOOL
East Setauket, NY

MikegotOOL

precisely...something is not right here.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to BobbytheBrain

MVM

to BobbytheBrain
Mike, don't know if this is the "final word" or not, but Acer's support site claims that the max memory for this model is 2gb. I did not see a bios update listed on their driver/download site, I do not know if one exists or not.