uniqs

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

[Vista] 32 bit key good on 64Bit install???

I attended the Server 2008 launch event in NY, where I was given a copy of Vista Ultimate.
The DVD says it is the 32-Bit version, and there is no 64-Bit DVD in there.

I would prefer to install and test the 64-bit version of Vista, but I don't want to violate any licensing. If I have access to the 64-Bit install DVD, will the key I get from Microsoft via the registration, work for the 64-bit install???

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER

Premium Member

It should be possible to use the 32 bit key with 64 bit Vista.

That being said, it should work, as Microsoft is allowing people to order the 64 bit version dvd, »www.microsoft.com/window ··· ult.mspx .

janderso1
Jim
MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

janderso1 to JRW2

MVM

to JRW2
If all you want to do is “test” you can run for 30 days with no key. Supposedly there is a way to extend that to 120 days, but I haven’t tried it. I tried a test install of home premium on my notebook PC (2.3 GHz Celeron with 1 GB memory). I went back to XP in less than a week.

By staying with XP on the notebook I hope to be able to postpone replacing it for another couple of years. It is maxed out on memory already. It will take a slightly faster Pentium 4, but the improvement isn’t worth the cost.

I am sure that by waiting to replace my notebook I will be able to get a new one with more performance for the same money.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to JRW2

to JRW2
Nope, 32-bit product keys won't work on the 64-bit version but you should be able to call support and request a 64-bit media/key as a replacement.

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium Member
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ

1 edit

actor90 to JRW2

Premium Member

to JRW2
My 32bit Vista Ultimate Key, the OEM version, works perfectly well with my 64bit Vista Ultimate install.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to JRW2

Premium Member

to JRW2
my vista ultimate came with both discs, and only one key. i think it would work. if you're unsure, call MS and ask them. i'm pretty sure they'd know ;D
zed2608
Premium Member
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN

zed2608 to JRW2

Premium Member

to JRW2
it works i bought the 32 bit home premium then ordered the 64 bit media from ms and the same key works on 64 bit

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

2 edits

mustang50 to IamGimli

Premium Member

to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

Nope, 32-bit product keys won't work on the 64-bit version but you should be able to call support and request a 64-bit media/key as a replacement.
Sorry IamGimli , but your totally wrong on this.. Same key will work on x86 and x64 if only 1 is installed on 1 machine.
You can't dual boot x86 and x64.

janderso1
Jim
MVM
Saint Petersburg, FL

janderso1

MVM

I will bet you can dual boot x86 and x64 if you install them to separate primary partitions. However, this may violate the EULA if you don’t have a separate license for each. I can’t try it because I don’t have a machine with a processor that supports 64 bit.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount

Premium Member

it won't take the same key if you do that. i tried, and MS gave me hell trying to de-activate the 32 bit version and activate the 64. finally talked to someone in Ireland (maybe Scotland?) and got it straightened out. plan on being hung up on a few times first LOL.

janderso1
Jim
MVM
Saint Petersburg, FL

janderso1

MVM

OK in more detail
Install 32 bit to primary partition

Create second primary partition for 64 bit

Image the 32 bit partition

Format the 32 bit partition

Make the 64 bit partition active and hide the 32 bit partition

Install 64bit to 64 bit partition

Restore the 32 bit image to 32 bit partition

I don’t think you can do all these steps with microsoft tools, but third party software can do it.
IamGimli (banned)
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to mustang50

to mustang50
said by mustang50:

said by IamGimli:

Sorry IamGimli , but your totally wrong on this.. Same key will work on x86 and x64 if only 1 is installed on 1 machine.
Not quite, it depends on the version you have.

For example, retail versions come with media for both 32-bit and 64-bit installations so the product key will work for either. Most OEM versions though only come with one of the two and the product key is restricted to whatever version of 32-bit or 64-bit it came with. I suspect the product keys that come with the free "heroes here" vistas are OEM-equivalent and will therefore not work on a 64-bit version of Vista.

Like I said it doesn't really matter though because either Microsoft or the OEM supplier will provide 64-bit media and exchange the product key for one that'll work with 64-bit media upon request.

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium Member
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
·Verizon FiOS
Wistron NeWeb CR1000A

actor90

Premium Member

You are incorrect, I bought the 32bit version of Vista Ultimate OEM. I then decided to try the 64 bit version on my computer instead. I ordered the 64bit upgrade disc for $5 dollars and reformatted the computer. Installed the 64bit and used the 32bit key from my OEM disc, and it worked and accepted the key.

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
join:2001-01-29
Psalm 96 ESV

Juke Box to JRW2

Premium Member

to JRW2
I got the retail upgrade over the weekend, Friday actually, which came with both the 32bit and 64bit versions and was able to install both using the same key.
IamGimli (banned)
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to actor90

to actor90
said by actor90:

You are incorrect, I bought the 32bit version of Vista Ultimate OEM. I then decided to try the 64 bit version on my computer instead. I ordered the 64bit upgrade disc for $5 dollars and reformatted the computer. Installed the 64bit and used the 32bit key from my OEM disc, and it worked and accepted the key.
Please note the use of the word "most" in what I posted. "Most" does not mean "all", which means there are some OEM version which may work on either editions. Unless you have personal experience with ALL types of product keys for Vista I doubt that you can back up that statement you made that I'm "incorrect".

For example, try to use an early 32-bit Dell OEM product key with the 64-bit media you purchased. It won't work. I tried.

Like I said (again) it doesn't really matter though because either Microsoft or the OEM supplier will provide 64-bit media and exchange the product key for one that'll work with 64-bit media upon request.

long74
@ilfb.org

long74 to JRW2

Anon

to JRW2
I plan on trying this, i have an oem home premium 64 bit on my main pc. I just ordered a dell laptop with 32 bit home premium. I am going to backup the laptop with acronis and then do a clean install of the 64 bit and try and activate it with the coa key from the laptop. i will post back again to tell how that turns out.

Gingivitis
@bankofamerica.com

Gingivitis to JRW2

Anon

to JRW2
Can i still dual boot a 32 bit XP and a 64 bit Vista?

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

mustang50

Premium Member

Yep!