join:2002-09-25
Chevy Chase, MD

4 edits

2 recommendations

bcastner to kcazzie

MVM

to kcazzie

Re: [Vista] Corrupt Vista Registry ...

Download, and extract SUBINACL.EXE. By default it installs to a Windows Tools subfolder. Move a copy to \Windows\System32 (so it is found in the PATH):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b

Next, open a new Notepad document. Click once below where it says "Copy to clipboard", then do a right-click paste of the Code box contents into your open Notepad document:

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /setowner=administrators
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /setowner=administrators
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /setowner=administrators
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f

cls
Exit

Do a File, "Save as..." and enter as the filename (including quotation marks): "reset.cmd"

To open an elevated cmd prompt, you can click on the Start menu, choose All Programs, then Accessories, then right-click on the item named Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.

Then run your new file, reset.cmd. It will not be speedy.

You can see Araron Stebner of Microsoft taking this same approach to the general issue of registry permission failures under Vista here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Morton Grove, IL

kcazzie

Premium Member

bcastner See Profile is the man... This worked and all is running perfect... I was just about to do a reinstall, he saved me big time... If anyone else has this permission problem bcastner See Profile has the fix... And many ppl with Vista have this problem... It's all over Google... I can help too but it's his fix...

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy

Premium Member

kcazzie,

When I tried to install Adobe Reader (version 8) when it first came out, it wouldn't install. I received error messages similar to those which you indicate, above, that you received. That is, the installation couldn't access the Registry. I don't recall the exact error message, but it was very similar to yours.

It took me several reads before I realized that the problem was Permissions related. The error message included the address in the Registry that the installer couldn't access. I used RegEdit to navigate to that location, where I gave full permission.

I than reran the Adobe Reader installation and got another failure to gain access to the Registry, with the location indicated in the error message. I noted that the address was different than that of the address in first error message. I then navigated to that location and provided full access to that address in Registry.

When rerunning the installation of Adobe Reader, this same error condition continued for about two more times, each with a new location in Registry. The installation had to make several entries in the Registry. I had to note each location and provide Permission in all instances. The upshot is that Adobe Reader finally installed fully after I gave Permission for all the locations involved.

I agree that this Permissions requirement in Vista can be a problem, because it's too complicated for many users. Even so, before Vista, there were many criticisms by all those Microsoft bashers that Windows was not secure. One of the complaints in this regard involved the observation that malware could install because Windows had insufficient restrictions in that regard.

Now, Vista includes controls so that it's not that easy for malware to install itself, but the bashing continues anyway. You can't win. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Security is not simple or easy. The critics provide little or no better alternative on how to fix this issue. Criticizing is easy. Doing something constructive is hard.

Freddy

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Morton Grove, IL

kcazzie

Premium Member

Actually Freddy See Profile it wasn't corrupt registry as I thought, it was that I lost my permissions for some application and such... I like vista and this was my mistake I think... I was trying to fix something and it's not XP... I know what I did was wrong and it was stupid but I know now not to mess with Vista like that...

By the way a lot of ppl have had the same problem with Adobe Reader (version 8) I think (8.xxx.12)... If you look in Adobe they have a fix and talk about the permission problem... Thru all my research about this they were the only ones to talk about it and explain why it's happening and provide an answer for Adobe Reader 8...

Now a lot of ppl stopped using UAC, I may have to go back and change the way I do things, because again UAC is also for security... During my co called research I found a way you don't have it on all the time but when needed... I just wish I remember were I read it... I'll find it and post it, it actually a really good way and idea...