Search similar:

uniqs

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter

Total throughput on 802.11G

Doing a speed test, by downloading a large file from a my local FTP server, I noticed that I absolutely cannot exceed 35% usage on my wireless network. Is this normal? Is 65% of wireless bandwidth used up by overhead + encryption? What is normal?

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

PetePuma

MVM

802.11G advertises 54mbit, but it's a lie because it's half-duplex. That means more like 27mbit, and then you factor in overhead and you will be lucky to see more than 21 or 22mbit on G.

tipstir
join:2004-11-14
Boca Raton, FL

tipstir to Rexter

to Rexter
I have wireless G tweaked as my wired connections. I've tested large files 350MB over the net to and forth I get the same 35 seconds. G has various versions of itself, but on average its still 54mbps. Some wireless pci or wireless PCMICA adapter work a different way with signal strenght. Those that have it's own high power usually give you excellent signal than those that don't.

Dlink DIR-615, DIR-625 and DIR-655 all do G even though they're N routers. All 3 can blanket the house or dwell covering 3 floors including a basement with a very strong signal. I've only tested DIR-615 and DIR-655, but I can tell the signal is very strong.

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter to PetePuma

to PetePuma
I'm seeing about 17, which is in line with what I've been reading else ware. That's cool. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't have a configuration problem, but it appears this is normal.

Thanks
Rexter

Rexter to tipstir

to tipstir
I read your post about 5 times, and I just don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying that your test reveled an average of 54mb/s, meaning that some of your test reveled speeds higher than than? How do you tweak wireless G as your wired connection? This makes no sense to me. You also go on to say that some NICs process signal strength differently.

I'm sorry, I'm just missing something here.

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

Jerm

rex - i couldn't decipher tip's message either..

17mbps is about max. I get around 18mbps max, and some people claim to tweak to about 20mbps but yeah wifi sux.

It is better than the old 11b radios, then you were stuck with 4mbps actual :P

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter
I pull 20-22mbit fairly regularly on my G network. Just brought up an N network, and that one is getting 40-60mbit depending on range. Still not quiet 100mbit wired speeds, but not too shabby.

Yeah, we need gigabit wireless. When are we getting that?
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to Rexter

to Rexter
said by Rexter:

What is normal?
18-22mbps is pretty much the high end of normal

the tested maximum I've seen with cisco gear is 36mbps and that was 100% optimal conditions that you'd never see in the real world, heh

prestonlewis
Premium Member
join:2003-04-13
Sacramento, CA

prestonlewis to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter
All wireless methods generally result in about 1/2 of the claimed speeds. SuperG 108mbps probably will actually give you around 54mbps if the conditions are right. Draft 1 pre-n gear (draft 1 = minimum of 100mbps) often is under 100mbps. A recent CNET review I read about a draft 1 pre-n router rated it at 85mbps. Draft 2 pre-n equipment (draft2=200mbps) promises well over 300mbps on the box but again, you're lucky if you actually hit the required 200mbps (my draft2 pre-n router gets around 190mbps most of the time).

So as PetePuma said above, cut the advertised speed in half, take a few more off and that's what you'll probably actually get in real life conditions.