spc
Search similar:

uniqs
katarina2
join:2003-09-07
Houston, TX

katarina2

IE 7 and Google Search

I have my IE 7 home page set to www.google.com.

Normally when I enter a search string in the search box there is no drop down list of previous searches.

Now, all of a sudden, when I start to type a search string in, the drop down list provides variations of such a search (starting with just the first few letters I entered), along with the number of "results" available for each.

Is this some new feature of Google? Or is something really strange going on here? There are search strings in the drop down list that I don't think I ever entered and I am the only one using this account on my computer.

How do I get rid of it?
katarina2

1 edit

katarina2

Click for full size
Google Search (?)
FWIW, I have always had the auto complete features in the IE Content tab de-selected, so what appears to be historical searches showing up now is very bizarre.

I realize I should be able to delete them (and I will), I just am very uneasy that they are appearing at all ... especially since many are definitely not anything I ever entered.

Edit: OK ... I was wrong. Even when using the IE tool to delete browsing history, these entries do not go away. They are not my entries. I intentionally made a typo in an entry and my entry does not appear on subsequent visits. The exact same entries in the Google search box in the middle of the page exist on two separate computers.

FWIW, I am using XPHome SP2 and XPPro SP2 and IE7 on both machines. Please ... someone tell me it is not something that is isolated to my network.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

1 edit

Doctor Four to katarina2

Premium Member

to katarina2
Click for full size
It's likely Google doing this. I get the same thing with
Firefox, though without the number of pages. I've also seen
Google autocomplete with some searches lately, even if they
weren't part of my recent search history.
katarina2
Houston, TX

katarina2

I have Firefox on my system but don't use it for searches. There are no listings for me in the Google Search box using Firefox. I went through the entire alphabet and none of the letters triggered a listing in the search box.

Are the entries in your Google Search box through FireFox actually entries you placed there with searches?

In my case, through IE7 .. they are NOT entries I placed there and I cannot remove them even following the instructions on Google here:

»www.google.com/support/b ··· =u2u_465

NanDog
The Pup Was Female, I'M Not
Premium Member
join:2003-12-28
Bremerton, WA

NanDog to katarina2

Premium Member

to katarina2
Hmmm...are your problems as the same addressed here?

»[IE] Google search history?

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to katarina2

Mod

to katarina2
This has happened to me a couple of times, and then gone away again (with firefox). Currently it does not happen on the google page, though I think it happens if I enter a search item in the search box on the toolbar.

When it first happened, I turned of javascript for google (with the "noscript" extension), and that stopped it. But, a couple of days later I re-enable scripting and the problem didn't occur. It did show up again some time later, but only for one day.

I think google is experimenting with this. You might try deleting all google cookies, in case they have something remembered in a cookie that affects this.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

1 recommendation

Cabal to katarina2

Premium Member

to katarina2
This is a Google preference. Click on Preferences and scroll down to "Query Suggestions." I've noticed this preference turning on even when the setting is "off," but re-saving preferences takes care of it.
katarina2
Houston, TX

katarina2 to NanDog

to NanDog
said by NanDog:

Hmmm...are your problems as the same addressed here?

»[IE] Google search history?
YES!!! Thank you!!! I thought I had something seriously wrong with my PCs. I've tried to find answers on Google but I am coming up empty handed.

The only thing I have run across so far on Google is their claim that it is your browser that maintains that list in the search box ... not Google. Well ... my browser never had anything there before because I have auto complete turned off totally. It is really strange that even with my suppressing that search history that a "suggested" list is appearing ... and it is so aggravating that I don't want to use Google to search anymore.
katarina2

katarina2 to Cabal

to Cabal
said by Cabal:

This is a Google preference. Click on Preferences and scroll down to "Query Suggestions." I've noticed this preference turning on even when the setting is "off," but re-saving preferences takes care of it.
I have *never* used Google Preferences and in this case, it was already turned off. And .. you are right ... re-saving the preferences did get rid of this annoyance. Thank you!!!

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore to katarina2

Premium Member

to katarina2
Google's preferences seem to have some fluidity to them. I keep Safe Search turned off, yet periodically the moderate Safe Search turns itself on.
katarina2
Houston, TX

1 edit

katarina2

Well ... I wish they would regain some stability in their settings. Their help pages state that we lose our preferences when we routinely delete cookies, which makes sense.

What doesn't make sense to me is that when I looked at my preferences they were set to *not* list query suggestions. It took saving the currently set preferences in order to make that one work properly (as Cabal suggested).

FWIW, after reading the thread that NanDog referenced, I did some more searching myself and ran across this article

»searchengineland.com/080 ··· 1142.php

on Google "Suggest" (dated today) that says:

"More and more people should see it appear, with a full rollout expected by this Friday."

NanDog
The Pup Was Female, I'M Not
Premium Member
join:2003-12-28
Bremerton, WA

1 edit

1 recommendation

NanDog

Premium Member

I think we're all blessed to have this community in which to ask questions and receive answers!

Hope your problems were cured, katarina!

Best, NanDog!
katarina2
Houston, TX

katarina2

Re: Google Suggest

said by NanDog:

I think we're all blessed to have this community in which to ask questions and receive answers!

Hope your problems were cured, katarina!

Best, NanDog!
I found a Google Group that has some discussion of this "feature" being rolled out, but I don't have a Google account and don't want one, so I can't post there.

If anyone else already has a Google account and is interested in joining this "group" you might consider letting them know about the "bug" in the preferences that turns the "query suggestion" feature on even when the settings are set to "do not provide query suggestions in search box." I tried an email contact I found that was used when this was in beta, and got a boilerplate response directing me to the beta group that no longer exists.

»groups.google.com/group/ ··· 1?hl=en#

kinmundy77
Premium Member
join:2001-09-07
Granite City, IL

kinmundy77 to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore

Re: IE 7 and Google Search

said by DownTheShore:

Google's preferences seem to have some fluidity to them. I keep Safe Search turned off, yet periodically the moderate Safe Search turns itself on.
This happens to me when I clear the cookies in IE. After clearing them all Google preferences are reset to default.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to katarina2

Premium Member

to katarina2
I've been seeing this since yesterday on Firefox. I hate it. I have Customize Google extension and even with updating it, I am still getting that garbage. I've had it happen periodically in the past but just for a few hours.

I have NO preferences with Google! You have to allow Google cookies in order to set preferences. I would never allow Google to invade my privacy by allowing them a cookie so they can profile me! I have Customize Google blocking the Google Analytic cookies also and I use TrackMeNot extension running all the time which obscures my Google searches with periodic random searches.

But if Google is making this piece of garbage permanent that means one thing: Google is trying to force everyone to allow Google cookies so that preferences are set and this can be turned off. In other words, Google is declaring war on user privacy. BAD MOVE GOOGLE. I always knew Google was blowing hot air when they kept saying that they value the users privacy. Now we know that is BS.

Anyone out there who can write a Proxo filter to stop this?

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

quote:
I have Customize Google extension and even with updating it, I am still getting that garbage. I've had it happen periodically in the past but just for a few hours.
Have you considering contacting the Customize Google Dev and asking him if he would just add the feature to prevent Google Suggest to the Options in Customize Google - Preferences Subsection?

That horrible Google providing a great search engine asking to set one little old cookie. How dare they ask for nothing for giving the user superior search results. Shame on them.
---
OT: I do not know if you have been paying attention or not but OpenBook was updated and has your resizer working and IT DOES WORK!

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

But if Google is making this piece of garbage permanent that means one thing: Google is trying to force everyone to allow Google cookies so that preferences are set and this can be turned off. In other words, Google is declaring war on user privacy. BAD MOVE GOOGLE. I always knew Google was blowing hot air when they kept saying that they value the users privacy. Now we know that is BS.

Anyone out there who can write a Proxo filter to stop this?
This becomes more alarming, privacy-wise, when you consider
that Google recently acquired Doubleclick, once known as
the Great Satan of Internet privacy.

To paraphrase a popular meme from around 2001-2002 from a
video game: Google: All Your Search Data Are Belong To Us!
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Grail Knight

Premium Member

to Grail Knight
Customize Google has always had this feature and if you UNcheck it (it is checked by default) then, in the past, you never got this. But you do now so I'm not sure what he can do. Although I will contact him.

As for your comment about not giving Google a cookie, Doctor Four See Profile answered that beautifully.

I've switched to Scroogle until someone writes a Proxo filter which I have already requested at Kye-U's forum. The only problem is that Sidki has stopped working on his filters so we rely now on a few folks who write a filter here or there like Kye-U but he is busy in school. I hope some of the Proxo guru's here see this and respond.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Just block javascript from google, and the problem should be solved without having to store google cookies.
Graycode
join:2006-04-17

1 edit

Graycode to katarina2

to katarina2
Their script name contains random-looking characters that isn't consistent. One way to stop it was to block anything that tries to access their path 'www.google.com/extern_js/f/'.
www.google.com/extern_js/f/CgJlbhICdXMrMAo4BiwrMBg4Aiw/8Ef-DgFVL4o.js

My web monitor showed it was sending every character entered as a URL request as you're typing into its search box.
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=d
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=ds
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dsl
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslr
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslre
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslrep
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslrepo
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslrepor
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslreport
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslreports

No Thanks, Google.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to nwrickert

Premium Member

to nwrickert
said by nwrickert:

Just block javascript from google, and the problem should be solved without having to store google cookies.
That would work but Kye-U just wrote a filter for Proxo.
Bye, bye Google Suggest.

Anyone with Proxo wanting this filter here's the link. Again, thanks Kye-U!

»prxbx.com/forums/showthr ··· tid=1080
katarina2
Houston, TX

katarina2

Some users don't even have the Preferences selections appearing for them yet. Another user posted this link to an alternate Google page where Google Suggest is not enabled. I don't know if it works without cookies though.

»www.google.com/webhp?complete=0

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

1 edit

Grail Knight to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Duplicate
Grail Knight

Grail Knight to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
If Customize Google features do not block or enhance a Google feature it is a pretty good indicator the site changed.

You should contact the dev as I suggested if anything to let him know a feature needs fixed.

As to cookies well some worry about them and some eat them and some are crazy over what they think might happen if they use them.

Edit* Spelling

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to Graycode

Premium Member

to Graycode
said by Graycode:

Their script name contains random-looking characters that isn't consistent. One way to stop it was to block anything that tries to access their path 'www.google.com/extern_js/f/'.
www.google.com/extern_js/f/CgJlbhICdXMrMAo4BiwrMBg4Aiw/8Ef-DgFVL4o.js

My web monitor showed it was sending every character entered as a URL request as you're typing into its search box.
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=d
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=ds
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dsl
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslr
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslre
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslrep
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslrepo
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslrepor
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslreport
clients1.google.com/complete/search?hl=en&q=dslreports

No Thanks, Google.
Thats friggin crazy.
Cartel

Cartel to katarina2

Premium Member

to katarina2
said by katarina2:

FWIW, I have always had the auto complete features in the IE Content tab de-selected, so what appears to be historical searches showing up now is very bizarre.

I realize I should be able to delete them (and I will), I just am very uneasy that they are appearing at all ... especially since many are definitely not anything I ever entered.

Edit: OK ... I was wrong. Even when using the IE tool to delete browsing history, these entries do not go away. They are not my entries. I intentionally made a typo in an entry and my entry does not appear on subsequent visits. The exact same entries in the Google search box in the middle of the page exist on two separate computers.

FWIW, I am using XPHome SP2 and XPPro SP2 and IE7 on both machines. Please ... someone tell me it is not something that is isolated to my network.
would having Google in Trusted sites have anything to do with it?