negativeduck
Premium Member
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA

negativeduck to mjr

Premium Member

to mjr

Re: [Newsgroups] "Unable to connect to news.rcn.com:119"

Yea, you could say it's official. The news (nntp) service as provided by RCN is being phased out. In large part due to non usage yes there were a few (and by few I mean an incredibly small number) customers who used it however, several times that are using nntp service from a third party.

Additionally for the same reasons that other MSO's are discontinuing the service we are going in the same direction.

jsolo1
Premium Member
join:2001-07-01
PRIL

jsolo1

Premium Member

Bryan,

I suppose it would have been proper to give customers at least a 30 day notice before terminating the service [instantly].

I reviewed several months of past statements. Could not find any indication of impending service changes.

It's like one of the cell companies removing a feature and informing the customers after the fact.
bilsky8
join:2008-07-25
Waltham, MA

1 edit

bilsky8 to negativeduck

to negativeduck
Or at the very least a post on the RCN official pages.

I was a daily newsgroup user. Very sad to see them gone. It was one of the things that separated them from the other ISPs that I could choose from. Now, not so much.

-jason
fhaber
Enhanced For Lynx
join:1999-11-23
New York, NY

fhaber to negativeduck

to negativeduck
Everyone's doing it. Everyone else gives notice. This was pitifully handled.
kcblack
Premium Member
join:2000-09-11
Chicago, IL

kcblack

Premium Member

Honestly folks,

Did you actually expect them to handle this in a professional courteous manner or to give you advance notice?

The only good thing I have to say about them is the offering of 20/2 speed, even if it was at a very high price.

I'm done with them as of 9/0/08 and I still can't get them to straighten out my last bill. I told them well in advance that to terminate my service on a certain date. I've got one side of RCN telling me not to pay my bill until they get it corrected, then I have the other side sending me dunning email and phone messages telling me they are going to cut off my service. Good lord,is it too much to ask to tell them to get their act together?

Oh, and BTW, them cutting newsgroups is to provide you better customer service.

Goodbye, farewell, good riddance RCN.

Kevin

jsolo1
Premium Member
PRIL

jsolo1 to fhaber

Premium Member

to fhaber
fhaber,

Per your other thread where you post it's back. news.rcn.com resolves now to giganews, but it still wants a login/pass to gain access, so not really back.
fhaber
Enhanced For Lynx
New York, NY

fhaber

1. I'm getting data.

2. Mine always needed authent, even from an RCN IP.

3. I never tried to slam RCN with a third connection - it's so slow it's easy to be a gentleman (g).

jsolo1
Premium Member
PRIL

jsolo1

Premium Member

What are you using for youro authentication info?
rcn/rcn?
fhaber
Enhanced For Lynx
New York, NY

fhaber

username@rcn.com
mailpw
mjr
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Bethlehem, PA

mjr

Premium Member

I get "502 Access Denied via @rcn.com auth server" when I try my email addy/password