All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Davexx1
join:2009-01-21
Winter Springs, FL

Davexx1

[ Cable] snmaster.idx File Missing, Can't Connect To AOL???

I suddenly cannot connect to AOL with my one year old Dell XPS M1530 lap top running MS Vista SP 1. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling AOL 9.1 and 9.0 and nothing works.

I occasionally get an AOL error message that says "the snmaster.idx file is missing, please restore".

Sometimes I get a message that files need to be downloaded, then prompted to restart, click OK to both, and those messages just keep coming up time and time again.

I called and talked to AOL Tech Support for two hours and Dell Tech Support for another hour or so and neither could provide a fix or help.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks, Dave

Waynstar
@as43234.net

Waynstar

Anon

I think I have the same issue.

I lost connection one night and tried to reconnect by uninstalling & re-installing AOL 9.0 VR. It was no use and the Router internet light was neither green or red.
In the past, I've been able to fix the router myself with notes I jotted down from previous AOL helpline conversations. This time, nothing worked.
I too on occasion received the error message informing me to repair the snmaster.idx database because it was missing.

AOL have managed to help me get the router sorted but cannot fix the snmaster issue, which now comes up fairly often. IE will not find any web site/page. I can access the router diagnostics but all the boxes are ticked so to speak.

I cannot find the snmaster file on my PC or the AOL installation discs.

Interestingly, when I try to sign in to MSN I receive a different message which indicates that my DNS & Proxy settings are at fault. On checking, these are set as they should be.

I am using Vista Ultimate 64bit, IE7 with all updates to 28 Jan 2009.
AVG Internet Security.
AOL 9.0 VR (though the software only connects via IE - never been able to use the actual software interface).

AOL error reads:
47-AC-3001; 0x84100118
OS Vista-SP1;
ACS 4.7.30.10
TCP/IP Connection using DUN entry
Firewall AVG

I have also tried with firewall off and by reconfiguring the firewall but still get the same problem.

My network controller is NVIDIA (if it's any use knowing).

Have spent over 24 hours on this so I'd very much appreciate it if anyone has a solution worth sharing.

Thanks.

Wayne
Davexx1
join:2009-01-21
Winter Springs, FL

Davexx1

The way my problem was finally resolved was to start the computer in safe mode and download the new AOL version 10.1. This apparently downloaded or repaired whatever file was missing and caused my AOL version 9.1 to stop working.

Since doing that, my 9.1 has worked fine. I don't like 10.1, but leave it there just so 9.1 will keep working and not take any chances of causing a reoccurrance of the problem by removing 10.1.

It was one of the regulars off the AOL Helping Hand message board that helped me after I spent several days trying to fix it myself. He called me and we spent 4 1/2 hours on the phone doing this and that. It was a last resort idea of his so to speak to download 10.1 and start using it, but once 10.1 was downloaded, my 9.1 started working. It surprised us both.

Hope this helps.

Davexx1

Waynstar
@as43234.net

Waynstar

Anon

Thanks Dave, I'll try it out.
Waynstar

Waynstar to Davexx1

Anon

to Davexx1
Dave I couldn't get a full download of AOL for my machine. Only a download link from AOL which was no good to me because I needed a re-install on my other (better PC).

However, I did manage to fix the problem myself. Something AOL should have been able to help with if they knew what they were doing. The help line told me, it was a Microsoft issue, but this is not entirely true.

Also, it was quite simple once I figured it out.

The issue related to the router settings. After the AOL staff talked me thru resetting the router, they failed to mention that the DNS addresses would need to be re registered in my internet settings.

I simply connected to the router via IE and the router address. I have a Speed Touch 585. I ran the connectivity check which returned full successfull results. These results display all the router DNS settings.
I then used these settings to manually set up the "Default" pppoA (UK satandard)settings within the router.

After that, I used the same addresses in "internet settings" by adding them to the advanced config of my PC. Although I still use the auto DNS set, adding the addresses on the advanced page worked a treat, now that they matched those within the router.

Now I know this explanation isn't great for those wanting to follow the same path. I will, given time, retrace my steps and post my work around if I receive email notifications from other users with the same problem.