uniqs

NYR 56
Premium Member
join:2000-12-05
Smithtown, NY

NYR 56

Premium Member

[Vista] Save Desktop Icon Positions

I've been looking for a while now for something that will save the locations of the icons on my desktop. Every once in a while Vista will crash and my desktop will get all mixed up. Everything I've tried so far has not successfully saved the order of the icons. Has anyone found anything that has worked for this?

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

1 recommendation

SoonerAl

MVM

I use Icon Restore 1.0 free from...

»www.download.com/Icon-Re ··· 499.html

Sundog
I'm an analog man in a digital world
Premium Member
join:2003-12-12
Tucson, AZ

Sundog to NYR 56

Premium Member

to NYR 56
Another program is Desktop Restore:

»www.midiox.com/desktopre ··· tore.htm

Yukon
Have a Shot and Relax
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
Fallston, MD

Yukon to NYR 56

Premium Member

to NYR 56
NYR 56 I use Fences by Stardock. It's free!
Here's the link: »www.stardock.com/product ··· /fences/

Mike

beefy
It's A Dog's Life
join:2001-02-04
Burlington, ON

beefy to NYR 56

to NYR 56
This workd too

»www.annoyances.org/exec/ ··· e/layout

NYR 56
Premium Member
join:2000-12-05
Smithtown, NY

NYR 56

Premium Member

Thanks guys, I'll give those a shot. That Fences program is pretty neat, thanks Yukon. It's different and although I generally don't like change for my computers, I might stick with it.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to NYR 56

Premium Member

to NYR 56
DeskSave is great.
Supports Windows 98, 2000, XP and Vista, 32 and 64 bit
(182 kB - non-install)
»www.desksave.de/index.ph ··· ?lang=en
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to beefy

Premium Member

to beefy
It's nice to see that layout.dll which was initially offered in 1996 as a part of "Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit" now sounds like "Layout.dll for Vista"

That's how programming should go - 13KB of size (try to find any contemporary product with this size in Vista) and it's still to be very useful.
ChiTang
MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA

ChiTang to NYR 56

MVM

to NYR 56
I group the icons by functions (except system Icons) and put them different folders, then create shortcuts for the folders in the desktop.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

Is there any reason why you create shortcuts for the folders containing those icons on the desktop and do not use them (folders) direclty as simple toolbars?
ChiTang
MVM
Alhambra, CA

ChiTang

MVM

Data seperation.

It comes handy when OS partition need to be reformatted and reinstalled. The shortcuts to the folders are couple of clicks away. The content of all shortcuts are untouched.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

Then try this. Right click on Taskbar, go to Toolbars | New Toolbar. Then in opened dialog box point to your folder with shortcuts (icons). This will make on Taskbar new toolbar with all your shortcuts (icons) inside. It's easily accessible from taskbar, doesn't take space on desktop, and it works like a menu...

Do you know that you may put any number of subfolders inside that toolbar's folder to make nested submenu? Try it too. All your different folders that you group your icons by functions may be put as submenu in one main folder. I use it as a replacement for "Start" menu and to keep desktop free from extra icons. And, as you've mentioned the data separation works well when I need to reformat OS partition, but keep old environment ready to go quickly.
ChiTang
MVM
Alhambra, CA

ChiTang

MVM

I hear you. It is just another way to skin a cat.

Making new toolbar is nice but have undesirable side effect.

If the shortcuts are put under "All users" desktop, it is always available to all users. New taskbar cannot do it.

If new taskbar has too many levels, user might as well access it through from the "START" button.

Not trying to argue with you, just sharing point of view.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

Good.

If you keep your folder with icons (shortcuts actually) in your personal profile folder, than it could be a problem to use it as a toolbar for another user. To avoid this problem you should save it in a folder that all users have access to. Then they (users) may add it (if they need it) to their taskbars accordingly.

If you need some group of shortcuts to be accessible for all users at the same time - put shortcut to that folder in "Start Menu\Programs" profile for all users.

The main difference between putting shortcut to a folder containing grouped shortcuts on desktop and putting shortcut to taskbar or Start area of taskbar (see paragraph above) is in its convenience to use. In case if it's managed by taskbar (as a new toolbar or part of Start menu) you do not have make clicks to open submenu, you point to the submenu, wait for about 300 ms and it opens for you automatically. In case of shortcut on desktop you have to make mouse clicks if you want to open subfolders inside (or you have to keep multiple sortcuts to multiple folders each keeping a group of your targets). That's why I've asked you if there is a reason to place shortcuts to folders on desktop and not using them as a part of menu (conveniently provided by taskbar functionality).