uniqs

tempnexus
Premium Member
join:1999-08-11
Boston, MA

tempnexus

Premium Member

What's the best way to lock a garage.

I am renting a place with an automatic garage, so I was wondering if there are any locks/blocks you can add to the garage internally that will lock it from being opened from the outside (if you go on vacation etc).

Thanks

Kibbles
Premium Member
join:1999-07-31
Mission Viejo, CA

2 edits

Kibbles

Premium Member

Un-plug it?

Or drill a hole in the rail so the door can't be rolled open.
I assume you can exit the garage from another door?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to tempnexus

MVM

to tempnexus
Aren't there any slide latches on door which slide through the rails?

tempnexus
Premium Member
Boston, MA

1 edit

tempnexus

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

Aren't there any slide latches on door which slide through the rails?
There might be, have to check it more closely when I view the apt again.

Yes you can exit from inside the home, that's why the need for extra lock mechanism.

I really don't want to unplug it since I might use the locking method each night and playing the plug in game would suck....unless I can setup a timer...hmmm.
So there is no force overwrite right? I mean there is no such a method to force the garage to roll open when enough upward pressure is applied or if something is stuck between the "Safety sensors" once the door has closed? I can see someone slim jimmying a tool under the weather stripping and bending it upwards to cut the "Safety sensor" beam.
KirkyInCT
join:2008-11-04
Higganum, CT

KirkyInCT to tempnexus

to tempnexus
A C-Clamp on the track right above the wheels. One side should be fine, both would be better.

eatatjoz
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Mayflower, AR

eatatjoz to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
They'll go through a window or back door before they go through the garage door.
It's just easier that way.

If the opener was made anywhere in the last decade and is decent quality, it should have a rolling code system on it. Most will have a "vacation lock". The only thing you need to be concerned about is if the door has windows and the emergency release rope is still on the opener.
If that rope is on there, cut it off.

No other locks should be necessary. If you lock the door, and the remote or wall button gets activated, you stand a good chance of replacing a $130 top section.

crooks don't go through the garage door. Toyota's and tornados do!

NAK
Boot Failure
Premium Member
join:2000-12-27
Fort Worth, TX

NAK to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
drilling a 1/4"hole in the very center of the door, about 6" from the top, then feeding through a wire with a hook formed on the end is a fairly popular way of gaining access without making a lot of noise...all you have to do is snag the panic release and yank.

Although there are safety arguments against it, I advocate removing the ball on the end of the rope and any knots that might be in it. This will effectively negate the above mentioned method of break in.

With that done, unplug the opener. As mentioned above, it is a pain in the a55 to get into

FYI: clean all the codes from the opener, then re-sync your remotes. Just like keys, there could be old ones floating around that were previously synced to your door.

tempnexus
Premium Member
Boston, MA

tempnexus

Premium Member

sweet thanks all for the advice, now I know what I am looking for when viewing the apt again.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
If it has an automatic opener... isn't it effectively "locked" from the outside anyway? That is, it can't be opened manually.

sdgthy
@optonline.net

sdgthy to tempnexus

Anon

to tempnexus
If for some reason it doesn't have a lock that goes though the tracks, clamp vice grips onto a/both track(s) to block the wheels.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

1 edit

TheMG to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?

join:2001-05-30
Goodyear, AZ

lev to tempnexus

to tempnexus
I have the outlet that the garage door opener uses for power on a switch.

Beats the hell out of unplugging the opener.
happy4ya
Premium Member
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY

happy4ya to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
My dad just puts a padlock through a hole in the track

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
You got alot of good suggestion so far.

Definitely clear all the codes. When my wife and I bought this house, the previous owner "forgot" one of the remotes was in his other car and "promised" to bring it over. That was 4 years ago...

I cleared the memory, reprogrammed the remotes we did have, changed the code for the outside keypad, etc.

I also have the opener plugged into a switched outlet. When we are away, even on a day trip, I flip the switch.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to happy4ya

Premium Member

to happy4ya
said by happy4ya:

My dad just puts a padlock through a hole in the track
Thats what i do. after the car is in or out, place lock through it, go back inside through door to house then out of front door.

tempnexus
Premium Member
Boston, MA

tempnexus

Premium Member

Thanks soo much, That's good to know that getting into the house via the garage is not as easy as I thought it was.

Great!

I will see what I can do about the switched outlet, if not then at least I can put a timer on the garage door mechanism that allows the garage door to turn off during the non-normal use hours. If I want to use the garage during those hours all I have to do is switch the timer overwrite. Meanwhile I will use the padlock etc, idea and cut the safety rope.

That is all assuming I get the place.

Main reason for the questions is that I heard that the community has recent car break-ins and those cars were in the garage...I didn't get any further details beyond that. So I don't know if the garages were opened or not.

THANKS!

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

3 recommendations

cork1958 to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
Just wondering if anybody gets paid by the staff here at dslr for posting such cornball questions?

My gosh! Doesn't anyone know how to think or figure stuff out on their own anymore?

Not meaning to be sarcastic or trolling, but sheesh, this is like the third absolutely ridiculous topic I've seen already this morning, and I'm only looking at the sidebar topics!!

MnR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-27
Iron Mountain, MI

MnR to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
Hi,

All of these suggestions made here are only going to keep the HONEST PEOPLE OUT......

If you have something in your garage or house they will get it.

Just do the things that were suggested. It will give you peace of mind...

MnR

tempnexus
Premium Member
Boston, MA

1 recommendation

tempnexus to cork1958

Premium Member

to cork1958
said by cork1958:

Just wondering if anybody gets paid by the staff here at dslr for posting such cornball questions?

My gosh! Doesn't anyone know how to think or figure stuff out on their own anymore?

Not meaning to be sarcastic or trolling, but sheesh, this is like the third absolutely ridiculous topic I've seen already this morning, and I'm only looking at the sidebar topics!!
I understand that the question might seem ridiculous to you. However, I never owned a garage, and I have not moved into the place yet so I had no time to fully check it out nor "figure stuff out". I was fishing for ideas that other people have done or if something out there exists that is COTS and no need to make some newfangled contraptions to turn a nice garage into something out of the Texas chainsaw massacre.
After all innovation comes from seeing what others have done and enhancing it, why need to re-invent the same wheel over and over again when it's already been invented?

And yes the moderators pay me 50 toolpoints for posting stuff like that.
Langning
Premium Member
join:2003-04-28
Marlborough, MA

Langning to MnR

Premium Member

to MnR
said by MnR:

Hi,

All of these suggestions made here are only going to keep the HONEST PEOPLE OUT......

If you have something in your garage or house they will get it.

Just do the things that were suggested. It will give you peace of mind...

MnR
Totally agree. My advices are:

* Keep valuables out of sight.
* Hire a house sitter.
* Have your friend(s)/relative(s) drive by occasionally.
* Most importantly move to a safer neighborhood/wealthy town where property crime is non-existent.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

1 edit

djrobx to eatatjoz

Premium Member

to eatatjoz
if something is stuck between the "Safety sensors" once the door has closed? I can see someone slim jimmying a tool under the weather stripping and bending it upwards to cut the "Safety sensor" beam.
If the garage door is closed, breaking the safety sensor beam doesn't do anything. The safety sensor only comes into play while the door is in the process of closing.
51019512 (banned)
join:2009-05-19
151 Front St

51019512 (banned) to tempnexus

to tempnexus
And most openers if you disconnect the sensors that will stop it from working as well.

On mine you can override the sensors by pressing the holding the manual button inside the garage. The remotes wont do it but the hardwired button will.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan to eatatjoz

Premium Member

to eatatjoz
Dont cut the rope it's there for a reason..
Austinloop
join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

Austinloop to tempnexus

to tempnexus
Tempnexus, my garage door opener has a vacation button on the box on the wall with the open/close button. When moved to the vacation position, it allows the button to function, but the radio activated portion will not operate. You must operate from the button on the wall.

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
Do you have the manual or can you find one? Many garage door openers have a locking mechanism on the push button panel (inside to open the door).

On mine, it's a button that you push and hold for 3 seconds. The opener won't open then. Push and hold for 3 seconds and it returns to normal operation.

In fact this is my second opener, and a different brand from the first. Both had this mechanism.

Are you concerned with someone "guessing" the code to open it from outside? If so, many openers also have coding options. Old Genie openers had an 8-DIP switch. Set those and the same on the remotes. Many newer openers have a program button that links it with each remote and uses a rolling code. Guessing is unlikely at that point. The only probable way someone could get in then would be if they had one of your linked remotes.

You may either have nothing to worry about or already have a viable solution. No point in re-inventing the wheel if you don't have to.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Langning

Premium Member

to Langning
said by Langning:

* Most importantly move to a safer neighborhood/wealthy town where property crime is non-existent.
Flys go to honey, criminals go to rich neighborhoods because thats where the money is.
AVD

1 edit

AVD to Austinloop

Premium Member

to Austinloop
said by Austinloop:

Tempnexus, my garage door opener has a vacation button on the box on the wall with the open/close button. When moved to the vacation position, it allows the button to function, but the radio activated portion will not operate. You must operate from the button on the wall.
That doesn't help much when the criminal is inside the house and wants to take your projection TV out through the garage.
Austinloop
join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

Austinloop

The OP said that they were interested in stopping opening the garage door from the outside (see original post), not from the inside. As that stands, then none of the other methods, except putting a padlock in the track would work, so adious to the projection TV.
cooperaaaron
join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL

cooperaaaron to Langning

to Langning
Never had anything stolen from me and I have stayed a lot of places, poor and rich, I just knew what to do when keeping my stuff mine and mine only..

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Austinloop

Premium Member

to Austinloop
said by Austinloop:

The OP said that they were interested in stopping opening the garage door from the outside (see original post), not from the inside. As that stands, then none of the other methods, except putting a padlock in the track would work, so adious to the projection TV.
sorry, I was going to endorse the padlock as a really good idea.