uniqs

Andy5000
join:2001-12-20
Parsippany, NJ

Andy5000

My Latest Work

Click for full size
Click for full size
I thought I would share some pictures of a small network I recently put together for a 5 person office. Here are some photos of the back room. I installed everything you see here which includes the data and phone system. This was a blank freshly painted wall when i got there. Hope you like it.

Vaprotan
Vaprotan
Premium Member
join:2002-07-03
Kingsport, TN

Vaprotan

Premium Member

Really clean and organized setup. Good job
jbcg2
join:2001-09-15
Milwaukee, WI

jbcg2 to Andy5000

to Andy5000
Nicely done. Thanks for sharing this. What do the wall plates in the office look like? Is this all Cat 5 or Cat 6?

Andy5000
Parsippany, NJ

Andy5000

Silentwolf/jbcg - Thank you both for the kind words. The wiring and wall plates are cat5e for the voice and cat6 for the data.

The telephone service is provided by the cable company. The modem on the left provides ethernet and four voice lines. The modem on the right provides two additional voice lines.

The phone system is an Avaya Partner r8 and the router is a Netgear FVS338. There is also an APC UPS which is not shown in the photo.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to Andy5000

Premium Member

to Andy5000
holy crap! you actually grounded the Partner. i'm impressed.

Andy5000
Parsippany, NJ

Andy5000

LOL! I wasn't taking any chances on that for sure!

jeffmoss26
join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26 to Andy5000

to Andy5000
While your work does look clean, that is about all I can say that is positive.
I'm not sure why you used wall plates instead of 66 blocks and patch panels which is the proper way to do it. Must be an IT guy thing.
If someone ever wants another phone at their desk, or a fax machine, or anything else, it's going to be a lot of fun getting extra pairs out of those fancy wallplates.
If it were me, the voice cable would be on a 66 block; the data would be on a 12 port patch panel, and everything would be on the backboard, not down at the bottom of the wall. But that's how me and every other phone guy does things.
brianl703
join:2004-02-26
Nokesville, VA

4 edits

brianl703

I would punch everything down to a 110 block..and run cross connects as necessary.

That way, what is an Ethernet cable today can be a phone cable tomorrow, or vice-versa, as needs change.

To the OP: If you ever do need to split pairs out of this installation (for putting the extra line for a fax machine in, etc), use a patch panel. It should be obvious how this task can be accomplished with one.

Andy5000
Parsippany, NJ

Andy5000

Thanks to all for the feedback, and the cross-post to the Sundance forum.

As both a voice and data person, I agree with mostly all of your comments. Here are a few general replies:

- I had planned to use a patch panel and had one ready to install. Much to my surprise when I returned to do the install, the electrician had terminated all the jacks and installed these faceplates stating that they had to do this to pass the electrical inspection.

- The Avaya Partner ACS was purchased from an Authorized Avaya Business Partner.

- Yes, it all works.

- The six phone lines are provided as RJ11 output from the cable modems. I did not see any reason to split them out on to 66 or 110 blocks since the Partner only accepts input on RJ's.

Cheers.

jeffmoss26
join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26 to Andy5000

to Andy5000
Sparky always throws a wrench into the works. I think that's BS saying the plates were needed to pass inspection though...