3 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

bug Bomb the roachs?

any idea if the bug bombs work?

there is roaches in the house very low population right now

what would be the best way to get rid of them we do have a Dog

do you think they will get killed of in the winter

temps in this area get down in to the mid 20's to low 30's (winter time)

we are clean people but the former tenants were not...

ergibbs
To Be Free

join:2001-03-07
on the ocean

ergibbs

Re: Bomb House

The bombs definitely work. How big is the house? They won't die just because it's winter (even the roaches shop at walmart for winter clothes). You also need to look at things such as how they are getting in the house (cracks, crevices, etc), spraying the perimeter, etc.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

small 2 bed room 1 bath
we went very far food wise also All Food is stored in the refrigerator (except can goods)

ergibbs
To Be Free

join:2001-03-07
on the ocean

ergibbs

yeah, bomb it. I'm sure I don't have to mention that you need to make sure all living creatures that you care about need to be out of the house first. Also, investigate causes why they like your house: food stuff, dirty plumbing, etc.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

3 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

looks like this
there is a septic tank

also will it leave a residue?

looks like the one in the pic

for some odd reason they do not want to hang around my HDTV and 5.1 system or computer 2.1 system

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to Anonymous_

MVM

to Anonymous_

Re: bug Bomb the roachs?

Bug Bombs work very well for the intended purpose, but failure to follow the instructions explicitly, can cause it to literally become a bomb.
You have to turn off all potential sources of ignition that can make a spark, extinguish open flames including stove, furnace, and water-heater pilot lights prior to activating the device or you could potentially burn down the house.
When you set it off, remove everyone from the house, including the dog.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
I've had good luck with the bait traps. The small plastic things that roaches enter, eat poisoned bait, and then take back to the nest.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_

Premium Member

has any one tryed the Sugar and Baking Soda

»www.ehow.com/how_4453803 ··· ing.html

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to Anonymous_

MVM

to Anonymous_
I like the Combat brand roach bait. It seems to work pretty well.

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium Member
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

Locutus65 to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
2 words... BORIC ACID
Can be bought at most hardware stores and department stores (may be called something like Roach Pruf).
Very low cost and works Very well.
If you have pets or children make sure you don't leave any exposed where they can get to it.
Comes in a plastic bottle like the ketchup bottles in restaurants. Just shoot the powder behind fridge, stove, cabinets etc.

Excerpt from the University of Kentucky website.

BORIC ACID

People have been fighting cockroaches with boric acid for nearly a century. Boric acid is one of the most effective cockroach control agents ever developed provided that it is used correctly. Unfortunately, most people use it incorrectly, and in the process waste their money and effort. Boric acid may be used alone or in combination with the baiting techniques previously discussed.

Properties and Advantages

Boric acid is a wonderful tool for controlling cockroaches in homes, restaurants and other buildings. It is effective in extremely small amounts and retains its potency almost indefinitely provided the deposit remains dry. Unlike many insecticides, boric acid has no repellency to insects and, consequently, roaches return to treated areas repeatedly until they die. Boric acid is deadly to cockroaches, but is low in toxicity to people, pets and other nontarget animals. It is also odorless and contains no volatile solvents.

Boric acid is a white, inorganic powder chemically derived from boron and water. Boron is mined from vast mineral deposits in the ground and is used in countless consumer products, including laundry additives, toothpaste and mouthwash. Boric acid insecticide formulations can be purchased at hardware and grocery stores. The powder comes ready-to-use, i.e., no mixing or dilution is required. Formulations sold in plastic, squeeze-type bottles with narrow applicator tips are the easiest to use. (These containers are similar in appearance to the squeezable mustard and ketchup bottles found in restaurants).

Cockroaches succumb to boric acid when they crawl over treated areas. The tiny particles of powder adhere to the cockroaches' body, and the material is ingested as the roach preens the powder from its legs and antennae. Some boric acid is also absorbed through the greasy outer covering of the insect's body. All species of cockroaches are susceptible to boric acid provided the powder is applied into areas where the roaches are living.

Using Boric Acid Like a Pro

The key to success with boric acid is proper application. For best results, the powder should be applied in a very thin layer barely visible to the naked eye. Piles or heavy accumulations will be avoided by foraging cockroaches much as we would avoid walking through a snow drift. To apply a fine layer, shake the container and puff a small quantity of the powder into the target area. Manufacturers of boric acid often fill their containers too full of powder -- by using a container which is no more than two-thirds full, an airspace is created at the top which allows the dust to be puffed more easily (A few pennies or pebbles placed inside the container helps prevent the powder from caking). The trick is to give the container a shake, then puff a very light dusting of the powder into the area you wish to treat.

Avoid applying a heavy layer, and never apply the material with a spoon.

Where the powder is applied is just as important as how it's applied. Cockroaches prefer to live in cracks, crevices and secluded areas close to food, moisture and warmth. Kitchens and bathrooms are the most common areas to find cockroaches, although any area of a home may become infested if the infestation is severe, or if species other than the German cockroach are involved. Key areas for treatment include under/behind the refrigerator, stove and dishwasher, into the opening where plumbing pipes enter walls (such as under sinks and behind the commode, shower and washing machine), and into cracks along edges and corners inside cabinets and pantries. Oftentimes, there is a void (hollow space) under kitchen and bathroom cabinets which becomes a hiding place for cockroaches. This area can be accessed and treated by injecting powder through any existing gap at the top of the kickplate, or if none is present, by drilling a few small holes.

NEVER apply boric acid onto countertops or other exposed surfaces, especially those used to prepare food. Any visible residues should be wiped off with a damp cloth. Boric acid can be used alone or in combination with other cockroach control products. An effective way to augment the activity of boric acid is to place containerized cockroach baits such as Combat(R), Raid Max(R) or Roach Ender(R) brands, as discussed earlier. Avoid dusting over, or in the immediate vicinty of your bait stations, as this may reduce the attractancy of the bait. Used correctly, this dual approach will produce results comparable to a professional exterminator.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

1 recommendation

cowboyro to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
Boric acid +1
Cheap (some $4/lb) and effective. Oh, and safe for humans and pets. About as "toxic" as table salt...

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium Member
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

Locutus65

Premium Member

said by cowboyro:

Boric acid +1
Cheap (some $4/lb) and effective. Oh, and safe for humans and pets. About as "toxic" as table salt...
True you would have to ingest quite a large amount to be toxic but I just wanted to be safe

Based on mammal median lethal dose (LD50) rating of 2,660 mg/kg body mass, boric acid is poisonous if taken internally or inhaled. However, it is generally considered to be not much more toxic than table salt.[3] The Thirteenth Edition of the Merck Index indicates that the LD50 of boric acid is 5.14 g/kg for oral dosages given to rats, and that 5 to 20 g/kg has produced death in adult humans. The LD50 of sodium chloride is reported to be 3.75 g/kg in rats according to the Merck Index.

Rxdoxx

join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD

Rxdoxx

Another vote for Boric acid.
Relatively speaking, it is incredibly safe.

In case the word 'acid' concerns you, consider another acid... acetic acid, that we have in our kitchens called vinegar.
LD50 3,310 mg/kg. But you'd have to drink 1/2 gallon of it.

To some people it can sound scary to use, especially in the kitchen, but it is the safest you can go.

You can use the bombs if you want to, they are definitely effective, that will take care of the immediate problem. Then use boric acid as a preventative.

You don't say what type of house, but if it is NOT stand alone (duplex/condo/apartment...) then the neighbors probably have them also, and they will come back. Best to co-ordinate the extermination with the neighbor(s) but if not possible, boric acid use is essential even with bomb use.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
I have used the Raid Roach bait in an old apartment. It comes in a syringe, and is a brown paste. It seemed to work extremely well as you can put it in all the little areas that they would frquent.

Willy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-24
USA

Willy to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
The bug bombs work fine just follow the directions.
Boric acid is excellent also.

Is this a single family house?
If it isn't they'll probably come back if you don't seal up any place they could get in.

If it's a 2 family or multiple dwelling the whole building should be done or they'll be back.

dark_star
join:2003-11-14
Louisville

1 recommendation

dark_star to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
Avoid bug bombs. They deposit poison on every surface. Table, floors, chairs, counter tops, everything.

Use the roach bait instead. It is very effective, and if you keep it out of the reach of pets and children, very safe.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
Another vote for boric acid.

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL

CUBS_FAN

Boric acid works .. but it wont clean itself up. How are you going to conceal it if you have company over?

Boricua
Premium Member
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

I suddenly have roaches and from whence they came I have no idea. According to my roommate, she saw some in the back yard as well. I'm attributing this to the beer bottles, cans and plastic bottles lying around in the garage (in bags) and in the back yard. I told my other roommate to get rid of them to the recycling center (as plastic bottles, glass bottles and aluminum cans are recyclables for money). I don't see how I have to worry about company coming over and seeing anything.
c4junk
Premium Member
join:2004-05-08
Orlando, FL

c4junk to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
I use to use boric acid but if it gets wet it is done -I have switched to Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth ( DE ) Powder which will dry out and keep working, seems to work on everything, we have also had good luck with the little bait packs you put under frig, range, dish washer, etc- but now mostly just DE. I got a 5lb bag (big bag)at a feed store as it is used on farm animals for about $10-12 also got a pump sprayer made for dry at same place. I use it house, garage, on the dogs back all seems to work, saw 1st roach in over a year just last night, think he came thru open patio door.
Read up on boric acid and DE -make a choice.
61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

61999674 (banned) to CUBS_FAN

to CUBS_FAN
said by CUBS_FAN:

Boric acid works .. but it wont clean itself up. How are you going to conceal it if you have company over?
You don't have it where company can see it unless they go snooping around, and it is put out in a small dusting, not piles.
Expand your moderator at work

SLD
Premium Member
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

SLD to Locutus65

Premium Member

to Locutus65

We used to buy "Chinese chalk" when I lived in Mexico. It was the same product, but in a chalk stick form, wrapped like a crayon.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
A vote here for combat roach control bait. Stuff works fantastic for getting rid of the critters.
The Antihero
join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA

The Antihero to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
Another recommendation for the bait traps. I tried the bombs once, and didn't have much luck with it. Wrapped and packed everything up, loaded the cats into the car, set off the bombs, and stayed elsewhere until the next day.

No roaches to be found when I got back, but they returned a week later. All that hassle for nothing. Tried the bait traps next, and before long there were no more roaches.

Boricua
Premium Member
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

said by The Antihero:

Another recommendation for the bait traps. I tried the bombs once, and didn't have much luck with it. Wrapped and packed everything up, loaded the cats into the car, set off the bombs, and stayed elsewhere until the next day.

No roaches to be found when I got back, but they returned a week later. All that hassle for nothing. Tried the bait traps next, and before long there were no more roaches.
The problem with bombs is what have been said about those little bast*rds. Even an A-bomb or H-bomb won't eradicate them. Somehow them thing become immune after a while, that's why it's not good to use insecticide.
dipweed23
join:2009-07-21
Ypsilanti, MI

1 edit

dipweed23 to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
The bug bombs leave an oily residue on everything, and all ignition sources have to be eliminated before using them. They work, but will only kill the visible insects.

You should follow the advice of others here about using the boric acid properly. You can also entice them to crawl around in the stuff by placing baits around too.
If the infestation is too bad, and you can't get it under control, call in professionals. Some infestations are just so bad there is no other option but to tent the place up.

Professionals usually spray a residual, then use an irritating fogger to get the bugs active so they have to walk through the residual. They also use bait gels affter to keep the population down.
I'd recomend using professional products, rather than stuff common at home depot and the like. Just be careful with them and follow all directions carefully.
Delta dust for knock down
»www.epestsolutions.com/1 ··· ust.html
Bait gel
»www.epestsolutions.com/a ··· %29.html
90day residual - highly potent
»www.epestsolutions.com/1 ··· ide.html
Demon WP 20 year residual
»www.epestsolutions.com/1 ··· ide.html
Don't bother ordering most of these in NY unless you are a licenced professional, even then they may not be legal.
If you are worried about products being toxic to family and pets, you aren't confident enough in yourself about following directions and applying it correctly. Typical professional application there is only about a 1% chance of pets or people comming into contact with the chemicals in concentrations large enough to cause harm. Do be careful tho, a buddy's resperator got knocked loose while treating an attic with delta dust and he ended up spending a few days in bed sick after a trip to the ER.
The links are only given as an example of the products (and prices) I would recomend, and not an endorcement of the company. I have never had a problem ordering through them, but YMMV.
Edit: Roaches are not immune to the products, their strength lies in numbers alone. For every one you see, expect 50-1000 hidden from view! They breed FAST and established populations are hell even for professionals to get rid of.
severach
join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI

severach to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_

They call me 'The Cleaner'

If you live in a place where it is too warm then roaches are an ever present pest because travel is too easy. Once you are tired of bombing and spraying you budget for a pest control service.

If you live where it gets cold, and 20*F should be cold enough, roaches can be eradicated because the snow prevents them from traveling and hiding outside and the dry air eliminates most condensing hidden water sources. Black Flag Roach Ender was the best off the shelf but that isn't available anymore. Fortunately the Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) chemical that does the dirty work is still available. Get some Zoecon Gentrol IGR. Archer has an IGR that is probably just as good but I haven't tried it since my spray can of Gentrol is still 70% full and my Black Flag Roach Ender cans are unused.

Nothing sold in stores works like Gentrol and IGR products are not available from or used by any pest control service. While Gentrol is available in several packages I only buy the aerosol which allows me to cover all the roach areas while avoiding food and traffic areas so I don't need to clean or quarantine. I also do not apply any poison since that is harmful to the cause for multiple reasons. The roaches avoid the poison, it makes the dead roach remains poisonous for pets, and it kills the roaches. You think you want them dead but you don't. Roaches that die make a mess and don't help spread. Live roaches steadily spread the IGR to every nest. Study up on roach habits and life cycle to understand. You don't get the immediate satisfaction of dead roach piles but they trickle away without making a mess and eventually disappear and don't come back.

Application is simple and a single can will last for many applications. You might do some free house calls for the neighbors. Spray all floor edges in the kitchen, bathroom, and any other water or food source. Concentrate on the floor if the floor sees no foot traffic or animal traffic can be blocked. Otherwise concentrate most of the spray on the vertical surface. This keeps pets, hands, feet, and food away from the IGR. Scrap food heavy areas like the stove and extremely wet areas such as dishwashers or under the sink need an extra dose.

The roaches will handle the rest.

The goal here is to cover the most valuable roach real estate with the least amount of spray and the least amount of coverage of your food and traffic areas. Application takes about 10 minutes and there is no cleanup or quarantine.

Under the sink: heavy coverage all over

Sink: wall and thin counter line behind the faucet

Behind the toilet: all over, try to get some between the toilet tank and the wall, spray the floor if pet traffic can be blocked

Along the foot recess under cabinets: Spray the wall and floor. Where feet are expected spray only the wall above where toes could touch.

Stove: Spray under, around, behind, and inside on all non food surfaces such as under the raised top and under the drawer. Do not spray the stovetop, oven, or hand controls.

Dishwasher: heavy coverage all over, pull out the dishwasher if possible.

Washer and Dryer: light coverage all over

Refrigerator: Clean and spray the condensate catch pans

The pantry and food cupboards shouldn't need spraying since there should be no open food or water sources here. Open food or water should be sealed, cleaned up, and disposed of properly.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_

im poor, i admit it,in our old place we let the roaches run the place because of the cost of the insectisides, and we couldnt find boric acid at any of the local shops for some reason. after a few years i had had enough. we tryd the bug spray that suposadly lasts 6 months, it didnt work. we tryd a few brands. finally gave up. UNTIL i saw a gardening in georgia episode that showed how to use the gel. bought it, it works, maxforce i chose the slow kill formula as the infestation was so bad, after a few days there was a noticiable difference, after about two months no more bugs! sure it costs more. but it works wonders.

tomj1225
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Allentown, PA

tomj1225 to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
Try doing the dishes and taking out the trash.