spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JediPing
@comcast.net

JediPing

Anon

[general] Can't get linksys router to work with WildBlue

I have been trying to get my linksys wireless router to work with WildBlue for a few days. I have a WRT54GS2 hooked to the Satellite Modem. I can access the router's page and do everything with that. I can also hook the SM directly to the laptop (running windows7 and have tried WindowsXP) and it will work correctly. When it is connected to the router (wired or wireless) I get a correct IP from the router,and I can check the router to verify that is getting the correct IP from the SM. I just can't surf when connected. I called WildBlue, and the person there was no help.. All she said was "we don't support that" so I called Linksys, and I spoke with a person that wanted to replace the router. I took the router to another location that has Cable Modem and it works no problem. Please help

DrStrangLove
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLove

Anon

1. Master Reset of Router

2. Check Subnet Mask IP

3. Look at Router's current "status" screen

LAN:  
   (MAC Address: 00-0F-66-xx-xx-xx)

IP Address:192.168.1.1
   Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
   DHCP server:Enabled

WAN:  
   (MAC Address: 00-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx)

IP Address:70.xx.xxx.xxx
   Subnet Mask:255.255.252.0
   Default Gateway:70.xx.xxx.1
   DNS:12.189.xx.xx

DHCP Remaining Time:1:38:17

JediPing
@comcast.net

JediPing

Anon

I have performed the Master Reset (via button in the back) also I have updated the firmware.

DrStrangLove
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLove

Anon

said by JediPing :

I have performed the Master Reset...
Can you copy/paste your Status screen, like I did?

PS: X out the following, like this example:

WAN:
(MAC Address: 00-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx)

IP Address:70.xx.xxx.xxx
Subnet Mask:255.255.252.0
Default Gateway:70.xx.xxx.x
DNS:12.189.xx.xx
WB49
join:2008-03-03
Englewood, CO

WB49

There is a compatibility issue with the Cisco/Linksys WRT54GS2. Cisco/Linksys has a process in place for replacement routers, which is why they offered to replace it when you called them. Try calling their support directly for instructions on their replacement process.
alhanson
join:2006-01-29
Barneveld, WI

alhanson to JediPing

to JediPing
JetiPing
The Linksys router that works best with satellite is the wireless N – series. It has an Application Layer Gateway which will drop any UDP packets that doesn’t have an Application that is not running on one of the client computers on your LAN. It keeps a routing table of what computer the Application are running and sends the UDP packets there. This is how I have the Main Router page configured.
Under Basic Setup!
Automatic Configuration DHCP
Host Name and Domain Name can be left Blank.
MTU “maximum transmit unite” Manual size: 1472
IP Address 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server Enabled
Starting IP Address 192.168.1.100
Maximum Number of Users 50
Client lease Time 0 (one day)
Next I use Open DNS with the third DNS field filled in
Under Wireless!
Enable wireless Security by permitting only the following Mac Addresses of my choice to access the wireless router.
Under Security!
Enable the Firewall on the Router
Checked filter anonymous Internet request and filter Multicast
You will need to, configure your Personal Computer to connect to the router. Control panel/Network connections/ Right click on {the active Internet connection the modem is using] and go down the drop down menu and click properties. In the drop down menu of the properties box see if ‘Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)’ is check and click on it. A new (TCP/IP) properties box will appear. Under general set the radio button to ‘Obtain an IP Address Automatically’ and ‘Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically’.
You will also need to, configure your router to not detect the Proxy ‘any proxy’. Tools/Options/Advanced under Connection click on settings and select radio button No Proxy. Wild blue sends you two things your Dynamic IP Address and their DNS address. The DNS Address is a proxy for their DNS and also static route to their web acceleration sever. Thus if you do not want to use their web acceleration you set your router to obtain it DNS from the cloud out on the Internet. The web accelerator is old technology from the days when web pages where written in static HTML and computers had 200 MHz processors. Today web acceleration is written in the code through using Java Script, Cascading Style Sheets, and Ajax using today’s Browsers. The Cascading Style Sheet is sent once and cache by the browser it is use to format all the pages though out the site. Thus less data is moved over the internet connection enough to cut ones usage by at least a third if not up to a half.
The way to configure the DNS is to first use the Wild Blue DNS in the top blank with Open DNS as the second and third. Have the Browser try to resolve a non existent web page, thus it will use DNS 1 then try DNS 2 and finally use DNS three before displaying page not found. Now set the first two DNS to Open DNS or the ones you want to use with Wild Blue DNS as the third. Then lastly replace the Wild Blue DNS with anything other than Wild Blue DNS like 4.2.2.2. It is important that all the DNS fields are full and not blank or Wild Blue will fill it with theirs and you will still be statically connected to the web accelerator server.
To manually configure MTU increment up by 2 from 1400 pinging Google each time until the ping times out. The last increment of 2 that doesn’t time out is your MTU. Window automatically calculates the MTU. However some times it keeps calculating the MTU every few seconds ‘the bug’. Setting it statically in the router will fix this problem. This can be the difference of a useable satellite connection and a really bad unusable satellite connection.
By checking filter anonymous Internet request – you are setting your router to not respond to pings from anyone.
By checking filter Multicast – you are setting your router to drop any Multicast from Wild blue.
The anonymous Internet request and the Multicast can be use by Cyber Criminals and Social Engineers against you.

al

JediPing
@suddenlink.net

JediPing to WB49

Anon

to WB49
WB... I've already had this router replaced about a month ago, so I doubt replacing it again will do anything. Alhanson: I will try your setting suggestions, and I will also take my N series router to that location and try it there.
WB49
join:2008-03-03
Englewood, CO

WB49

Jediping, did you replace it with the same make and model? If so, you'd need to replace it for a different model. That particular model # is having the problem, but others should be OK.

DrStrangLove
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLove to alhanson

Anon

to alhanson
said by alhanson:

To manually configure MTU
Its highly unlikely twitching MTU will make a difference for most all users these days. I would leave it on Auto or 1500.

In early days of internet, there were internet routers that could not handle anything bigger than 576 MTU, which is what dialup uses. So, you had to use MTU 576 to visit some sites, mainly overseas...in the early days of internet...NOT NOW.

If you are a gamer, you would want 576 MTU, but over satellite with about 1400 ms latency...it ain't going to make a difference. But, if you download large files, you want 1500 MTU.

Hence, 1500 MTU is the setting most all users need, and for gamers, latency not MTU affects your game experience...but we can't change the latency...hence, 1500 MTU...PERIOD.
alhanson
join:2006-01-29
Barneveld, WI

alhanson

DrStanglove you don’t know what you are talking about. The MTU is set automatically by you running system on your computer. The running system calculates the MTU for your connection. Social Engineers, Cyber Criminals, and Trolls that pick on little kids can exploit the Auto calculator can increase the size of the MTU in the Auto mode by 2 bytes thus causing the Auto mode on the to reset it self every few second. By statically setting the MTU you can protect your self from these kinds of people and there denial of service attacks. It is interesting how this so Fascinates you.

DrStrangLove
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLove

Anon

said by alhanson:

DrStanglove you don’t know what you are talking about.
For Window Vista Users:

1. To check Vista MTU setting

a. GoTo Admin DOS Prompt and enter:

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface

Whatever it says, is what it is, according to Microsoft. Unless the individual user has changed MTU, it will say 1500.

2. TCP/IP Configuration Settings

At your own risk, read this:

»download.microsoft.com/d ··· _Reg.doc

Yes, with a 1500 MTU setting, your OS can send a smaller packet when needed. But, you can also lock in a smaller packet size, and maintain this packet size via OS (set Value Type: REG_DWORD—Boolean to 0 in registry, at your own risk).

But, when downloading files, it will take longer with a smaller MTU like 576.

3. If you want to verify what is happening:

Debug the MTU values between you and a host.

»www.elifulkerson.com/pro ··· oute.php

I've been down the MTU road since early 90s....in today's world, just leave it alone to default is my opinion for most all users on satellite.