All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cerdan
join:2008-01-02

3 edits

cerdan

Googleapis safe to keep it permanently unblocked?

I know it's related to Google but is it a semi-spysite that tracks your online activity? I have to unblock it with NoScript or some sites won't operate. Any idea?

swhx7
Premium Member
join:2006-07-23
Elbonia

swhx7

Premium Member

API = application programming interface. The Google APIs are a way for maintainers of the site you're looking at to provide Google-powered apps on the page, such as a mini version of Google search, maps or other web applications you would normally use on a Google site.

Whether this is "safe" or acceptable for you is for your judgment. Malware is not a concern with Google APIs, as far as I know. However, Google's business model is in part to collect a lot of data about what the public are doing online. So if you allow it, Google will record what you're looking up, your IP address, and your browser info, and correlate it with any other data they have about you.

The services may also need to set and read cookies in order to work right. You're more "exposed" in terms of what Google knows about you if you have picked up a Google cookie before, or if you accept and keep them when using Google apps; and especially if you've signed up for an account with real name, etc.. If you delete the Google cookies you're probably starting fresh with them (tho they may be able to make weaker links to your online activity by IP address).

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

They also host several well known Javascript frameworks like jQuery and jQuery UI on their content delivery network.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to cerdan

Premium Member

to cerdan
You could find Google API's serving anything

The Akamai of today