spc
Search similar:

uniqs
raptorzx3
join:2009-11-28
Montreal, QC

1 edit

raptorzx3

Internet connection interrupts on door buzzer...solution?

ok here's the situation.

I moved into an apartment lately, and the door buzzer (for the door at the entrance) is linked to my phone. (i press 6 to activate the buzzer) Yes i know it's an old system, and the janitor of the place told me that VOIP phone won't work here since i absolutely need a real phone line (like Bell) for the door buzzer to work properly...

-For the phone, i'm with Bell.
-For internet (DSL) i'm with Distributel (which uses Bell connection, difference is unlimited downloads and uploads).

I did used a filter on the phone line as they told me to do, but no filter on DSL cable on the wall.

Ok when it rings at the door downstairs and press 6, it interrupts my internet connection for about 10-20 seconds, which could be crucial if you play online or downloading a file that can't resume its download...

Is there a solution to this problem?

for extra infos, my router is a Netgear WNDR3300, it works fine. The modem is also plugged on my good APC power surge.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

have the bell line switched to the black and yellow pair.

that should solve your problem
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

3 edits

urbang33k

likely not.

Probably the final decision from a techs perspective would be to have the building owner replace the enterphone with one that 'plays nicely' with dsl. Or at very least have the building owner get the company that services the enterphone out to place a filtering device on the enterphone. That works in some cases but not all.

Probably the other solution would be to have a pots splitter installed in the IT by a Bell tech. I will say that the pots splitter install in the IT is also not standard and youd likely have a hard time convincing the Bell tech to do it. It will require the tech to connect a second riser pair for your suit and feed it off the pots splitter in the it - bypassing the enterphone.

In short, the responsibility lies with the owner of the enterphone in my opinion. Combine that with the fact your in an apartment building requiring the placement of the pots splitter in the IT.

xbell
@cgocable.net

xbell to raptorzx3

Anon

to raptorzx3
There have been numerous threads on this in TSI and Canadian Broadband. A search of the keywords from urbang33ks post should bring them up.
raptorzx3
Montreal, QC

raptorzx3

so what should i say to the janitor? (he might be able to send the message to the building owner).

Because you know, net cuts because of the door enterphone when you're playing online is really annoying.

Should i tell him that "the door buzzer cuts my DSL internet connection and it might be because the doors system in the building is not filtered and should be serviced"?
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k

said by raptorzx3:

so what should i say to the janitor? (he might be able to send the message to the building owner).

Because you know, net cuts because of the door enterphone when you're playing online is really annoying.

Should i tell him that "the door buzzer cuts my DSL internet connection and it might be because the doors system in the building is not filtered and should be serviced"?
I'm gonna private message you.
Linix
join:2010-03-09
Saint-Clet, QC

Linix to raptorzx3

to raptorzx3
What happen if you hang up a phone without a filter on it? Internet disconection!

The intercom is probably near Bell terminal at the basement and it need to be filtred. Since the intercom are connected with jumpers, a filter is only compatible with a plug. So you will need a "Pots Splitter" installed right after Bell terminal.
Linix

Linix to raptorzx3

to raptorzx3
__________              __________
|              |»-TIP---»| Line        |
|_________|»-RING--»|              |
Bell Terminal            | Modem    |»--Black Riser--»To your
__________              |               |»--Yellow Riser--»modem
|     IN      |«---TIP--«| Voice      |
|              |«--RING--«|_________|
|              |              Pots Splitter
|              |
|    OUT     |»--Green Riser--»To your
|_________|»--Red Riser----»Phone and equipment
Intercom
raptorzx3
Montreal, QC

raptorzx3

what i also discovered is with a simple phone line tester, the light become red, and what it says for this color on the device is "line may be inverted"

I asked the building manager about this and he said that "i'm asking too much now", like it's going to cost a leg and arm to fix this problem.

i think the building manager want it so everybody are forced to go with Bell for the phone line, and everybody have to use Videotron's cable connection for internet...otherwise you might have problems.
RickStep
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON

RickStep

Premium Member

If by accident, a cable splicer crossed a pair, a reversing shoe (a pre-made cable to interchange the tip and ring) could be installed in the office.

Since the Bell cable pair "seems" to be crossed coming into the apartment building, is may be possible to correct this at the frame in the CO.

Posting in the direct forum may shed some light on how to get the phone line polarity fixed.
Linix
Saint-Clet, QC

Linix to raptorzx3

to raptorzx3
Even if the TIP and RING is inverted, it won't change a thing for your internet.
If you think it is, just invert the GREEN and RED wire on your plug...

To fix your problem it's simple, the intercom need to be filtred or removed from the line.

With Videotron, you won't have this problem since the computer is connected right on the source.
raptorzx3
Montreal, QC

raptorzx3

as i said, the building manager seem like he won't install a filter on the enterphone. I'll try to talk about it to him again later.

He insist so much on the fact that everybody's doing business with Videotron for internet. Videotron sucks, it's very limited on downloads and uploads, they put limits on downloads (not really limits, but a "limit" where you pay after X amount of gb downloaded if you download more than the amount written on the contract). And the faster the connection is, the less amount of stuff you can download before you pay big bucks. The only one with unlimited downloads and uploads with Videotron is Péladeau himself.

for the inverted line...can i simply buy a device that "invert" cable back to normal "non-inverted" state? i just don't want to screw around with the small phone box wires inside...

sunnyday
@mc.videotron.ca

sunnyday to raptorzx3

Anon

to raptorzx3
You need a pots splitter installed on your apartment line only, where there's the intercom and Bell equipments, just pay Bell to do it, that's it! They will install your voice line on one side of the splitter and the modem on a second pair of wires on the other side of the splitter. The pots splitter is just for your line, it's not for the building, why the building owner should pay for that???)

xbell
@cgocable.net

xbell to Linix

Anon

to Linix
said by Linix:

Even if the TIP and RING is inverted, it won't change a thing for your internet.
Polarity won't matter as only one conductor is used anyways.

videotron nice to see you back.
Linix
Saint-Clet, QC

Linix to raptorzx3

to raptorzx3
Asking the building manager is useless because he doesn't know how to do it. To avoid the problem, he is simply telling you to go with Videotron... For a non-tech user, the zillion wire at the intercom/bell-terminal is chinese for them.

Like "sunnyday" says, just call BellSurf 310-SURF. A tech will come fix your problem without any charges. You can also ask him to change polarity right at the terminal.
raptorzx3
Montreal, QC

raptorzx3

so a pots splitter should solve my problem?

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1 to raptorzx3

MVM

to raptorzx3
A pots splitter could solve your particular problem as long as there is a secondary riser pair coming up to your unit from the inside terminal. The splitter would divide your line into two segments, one being the voice going through the enterphone console (in and out) then up to your unit on the existing pair. Then the DSL feed coming from the pots splitter "modem" port and attached to a separate riser pair up to your unit and placed on one specific separate jack where the modem would be plugged in. If you cannot do this yourself or the building manager then you should ask Bell to do it for you. Ask the building manager if there is normally 2 separate feeds or riser pairs to each and every unit. Then go for help from Bell. I cannot tell you whether there will be a charge or not.
raptorzx3
Montreal, QC

raptorzx3

i know that some places in the apartment, it have a phone box with 2 connectors on it (1 with phone, and 1 with computer it seem)

Glen1
MVM
GTA Canada

Glen1 to raptorzx3

MVM

to raptorzx3
Some buildings have enterphone systems that are easier to wire with respect to DSL signals...instead of every unit going to an "in and out" panel there is a single telephone line that the enterphone utilizes to call the telephone number of each apartment/condo and that doesn't affect the DSL service of the units. These units are newer and therefore would be a cost that most building managers would have to justify. Once again it comes down to who is going to pay for it.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to xbell

to xbell
said by xbell :

said by Linix:

Polarity won't matter as only one conductor is used anyways.
ADSL uses differential signaling to improve noise immunity... it cannot work on a single wire, the signal will get drowned in ground current noise.

xbell
@cgocable.net

xbell

Anon

said by InvalidError:

ADSL uses differential signaling to improve noise immunity... it cannot work on a single wire, the signal will get drowned in ground current noise.
Hmmm. Seen it many a time.

»www.physicsforums.com/sh ··· 2&page=2
»mybroadband.co.za/vb/sho ··· one-wire
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As ··· ber_Line
raptorzx3
Montreal, QC

raptorzx3

i'm with Distributel for the DSL connection.

i'll call them later today (this Friday) when i'll have time.
andrewsfm
join:2004-07-16
Toronto

andrewsfm to xbell

to xbell
said by xbell :

said by InvalidError:

Hmmm. Seen it many a time.

»www.physicsforums.com/sh ··· 2&page=2
»mybroadband.co.za/vb/sho ··· one-wire
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As ··· ber_Line
I've seen it work too, but every time I have, the signal was garbage.
DSL is "capable" of functioning with only 1 side connected, in certain circumstances, but to say only 1 conductor is used, is completely false.
andrewsfm

andrewsfm to raptorzx3

to raptorzx3
How often do people buzz you?

The building is not going to pay to get an enter phone upgrade just so your DSL will work on the odd occasion when someone buzzes you from downstairs.

The POTS splitter installed in the main telephone room is the only solution.

Whether or not a second line up to your unit just for the DSL is available, is another question.

If you did get it done, you'd probably have to pay since you're not a Bell DSL customer.
raptorzx3
Montreal, QC

1 edit

raptorzx3

so this will have to be installed in my apartment?

i have something similar installed in the living room and the bedroom:
»www.greenknight.com.tw/n ··· logo.jpg

Glen1
MVM
GTA Canada

1 edit

Glen1

MVM

Actually no the pots splitter will have to be installed in the telephone terminal in your building where the Enterphone unit meets the Bell wiring. The Enterphone needs to be "filtered" just like those devices you have in the picture for your individual telephones. If there is a spare pair of wires coming to your apartment then those individual filters (in the picture) won't be necessary as the pots splitter will do all the work in separating the frequencies: ie: Voice vs DSL.

Edit: The cost of the pots splitter alone is $75 (the one Bell uses) so there is a good chance you will be billed for this request.
raptorzx3
Montreal, QC

raptorzx3

i just checked a box like that picture in my previous post, there's one in the living room.

i used my tester on it, the Phone plug gives a red light ("line may be reversed") and the Computer plug gives a green light ("like OK").

Does that mean i could use this as a filter for the enterphone buzzer?
babybunnies
join:2010-01-17
Kelowna, BC

babybunnies to raptorzx3

to raptorzx3
You shouldn't need a landline, just to have the phone wired in.

So long as the phone lines are actually connected to the front door, you'll be fine.

I live in an apartment with a door buzzer and recently ditched my landline for a bell cell phone, and my landline still works fine to open the door.
babybunnies

babybunnies to raptorzx3

to raptorzx3
Oh, and just to add, if you have internet through cable from Shaw your internet connection doesn't get interrupted when the door buzzer goes, and doesn't slow down when you watch tv.
raptorzx3
Montreal, QC

raptorzx3

we don't have Shaw here in Montreal, Quebec...

and the enterphone absolutely need a phone line, but i heard some made their door buzzer work with their cell phone...