geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
TP-Link Archer C7

geek

Premium Member

Yeah, I love how they say that customers love it when it hasn't even been rolled out to customers yet.

"Customers love the color — coded grid, which helps you quickly identify Sports (green), Kids (light blue) and Movies (purple), from general television programming (blue)..."

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to Camaro305

to Camaro305
I want my I want my I want my PASSPORT GUIDE...I want my I want my I want my passport guide...

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

Eff that, and eff passport.

I want this.

»/r0/do ··· iful.jpg

Now THAT's a grid!
Camaro305
join:2000-10-04
united state

Camaro305

Beautiful!
jjv124
join:2009-11-21
Hanover, PA

jjv124 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

I want this.

»/r0/do ··· iful.jpg

Now THAT's a grid!
HIT!.......wait that probably wasn't the right response. Oh well
schimmy
join:2010-02-18
Castle Rock, CO

schimmy to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

I want this.

»/r0/do ··· iful.jpg

Now THAT's a grid!
So we'll see this in what? 5-7 years?

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65 to Camaro305

Premium Member

to Camaro305
That guide is codenamed "Barcelona". I think it's still running on simulators, but it might be running on a STB. It's a next gen tru2way guide that is even more advanced than "Aspen". Aspen is basically iGuide with spiffy graphics and it works on tru2way devices.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

2 edits

cypherstream

MVM

said by rv65:

That guide is codenamed "Barcelona". I think it's still running on simulators, but it might be running on a STB. It's a next gen tru2way guide that is even more advanced than "Aspen". Aspen is basically iGuide with spiffy graphics and it works on tru2way devices.
It is now running on Motorola DCX set tops. Were closer to reality, and my guess is we may see some small instances of it starting in 2011... but don't quote me on it.

It's been in development for quite some time now. Rolling Tru2Way standards, rolling hardware specifications, Separable security mandate 7/7/2007, and other projects deemed more important (like plant cleanup, HD expansion, DOCSIS 3, Triple Play Push, etc...) all put it behind schedule.

This version will include VOD Search. Your search results can return hits from all sources... DVR material, Live material and VOD content. It also looks to have some sort of "user profile" system like Cox's Trio guide. It is supposed to be more 'modular' in design, so new features and updates will be easier and quicker to roll out.

Hardware requirements are yet to be determined. It's likely that you'll need a newer set top that has the memory and cpu specs to handle it.
Zizoo
join:2010-05-12
PA

2 edits

Zizoo

said by cypherstream:

said by rv65:

It is now running on Motorola DCX set tops. Were closer to reality, and my guess is we may see some small instances of it starting in 2011... but don't quote me on it.

It's been in development for quite some time now. Rolling Tru2Way standards, rolling hardware specifications, Separable security mandate 7/7/2007, and other projects deemed more important (like plant cleanup, HD expansion, DOCSIS 3, Triple Play Push, etc...) all put it behind schedule.

This version will include VOD Search. Your search results can return hits from all sources... DVR material, Live material and VOD content. It also looks to have some sort of "user profile" system like Cox's Trio guide. It is supposed to be more 'modular' in design, so new features and updates will be easier and quicker to roll out.

Hardware requirements are yet to be determined. It's likely that you'll need a newer set top that has the memory and cpu specs to handle it.
Do you have the guide in the pictures above? I was not aware anyone had that guide yet. thats the tru2way guide right?

Edit: I quoted the wrong person.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Click for full size
No, the pictures obtained are from tech demos at various cable & broadcasting trade shows.

However aspen looks like the photo I attached. It's basically an updated "skinned" I-Guide that is available for download into Tru2Way Panasonic TV's in the greater Chicago area.

Unfortunately, I was hoping for you SA/Cisco set top users, your new guide would look more like "Aspen" and not I-Guide. The SA set tops have dual RISC based processors and have been harnessed to do other features like transparencies, animations (element sliding in/out of view) and smooth UI fade transitions. I don't recall if SARA ever had polished transition effects, drop shadows and anti-aliasing, but Passport did and that ran on SA set tops.

I know Comcast wants a "Consistent User Experience", but Aspen is pretty close to I-Guide as to what buttons do what, and where menu elements are. It's just more visually updated with the modern 'skin'.

I bet Guide S25.2 for your platform won't take advantage of any of SA/Cisco's video acceleration features, and your menu's will simply 'pop' on screen (ie, no transparencies or animations). It's an upgrade from SARA, but a downgrade from Passport.
jjv124
Hanover, PA

jjv124

The downgrade from Passport is what kind of bugs me about this. Now if they can port over all of the a28 features into the s guide I'll be a bit happier. I also recognize that I'm one of the few users still using passport in the company and I guess I have to take the hit in this case to make others experience better but I am hoping that this is the first step and not the last step in this guide transition.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Camaro305

Premium Member

to Camaro305
i like how many are on the grid. But that guide hurts my eyes. I dont like the blue at all.
Zizoo
join:2010-05-12
PA

Zizoo to Camaro305

to Camaro305
They just ported the moto guide by the looks of it.
jjv124
Hanover, PA

jjv124 to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

i like how many are on the grid. But that guide hurts my eyes. I dont like the blue at all.
Color doesn't bother me.....being colorblind helps!

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to rody_44

MVM

to rody_44
Well it would be nice if you can change the font size (and subsequently it would change the grid size). Then if you could pick a color scheme (perhaps you want red grids instead of blue?)

But it's so preliminary that no one outside of Comcast's very secret guide dev team actually knows anything about it.

I'm curious how it will crop on a 4:3 TV using S-Video, Composite or RF connection.
cypherstream

1 edit

cypherstream to Camaro305

MVM

to Camaro305
Here is what it looked like in 2008 running on a simulation. The blue grid looks darker. Either that's the PC's different color pallet, the TV, the guide revision at the time, or the camera.

images C/O Endgadget »hd.engadget.com/2008/01/ ··· ast-dvr/
cypherstream

MVM

to Camaro305
Article now up on Engadget HD!
»hd.engadget.com/2010/05/ ··· -iguide/

Attached is this funny blurb between BenD at Endgaget and Jeremy Hammer from Ceton.
LeftyJR
join:2008-02-19
Avis, PA

LeftyJR

At least they are confirming EBIF features ARE available on this platform...
Camaro305
join:2000-10-04
united state

Camaro305

Another article regarding S25: »www.multichannel.com/art ··· oxes.php
tacitus8
join:2005-08-23
Ellicott City, MD

tacitus8 to Camaro305

to Camaro305
I didn't see where the new guide filters out the channels you don't get. Or at least color code it. Also, warning us now when its 80% full instead of 95% full is rather annoying.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

MVM

to Camaro305
Notice in that article..

"And on a separate track, Comcast is continuing to develop and test "Buckeye," the code name for its IPG optimized for 16-by-9 high-definition TVs. That guide, expected to enter trials in late 2010 with deployments next year, is supposed to include advanced search and discovery capabilities across TV listings, VOD and DVR recordings, among other enhancements."

Buckeye? I thought it was called J-Guide, or Barcelona. Buckeye, like »www.buckeyecablesystem.c ··· dex.html the Cable company with the logo that mysteriously resembles Time Warner?

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

Typo?

Barcelona is out now, in trials/labs/expos only. It is supposed to replace Aspen later this year with larger footprint deployments next year... what is "Buckeye"?
hussle87
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06
Sykesville, MD

1 edit

hussle87 to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
what is comcast's plant clean up project?
MorphiusFayd
join:2006-07-19
Lubbock, TX

MorphiusFayd to geek

to geek
They say customers love it because it's the same Guide that's been in use in Motorola areas for years. Just now it's been ported to the Cisco/SA equipment.

pjsbar
@comcast.net

pjsbar to Camaro305

Anon

to Camaro305
Will "Comcast Central" channels be added and will they work with a cable card?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Camaro305

to Camaro305
when the heck am i going to see this, and is this going to be pushed through on the legacy SA devices like the SA8300
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to Camaro305

to Camaro305
what bothers me is when Comcast goes around and touts their TiVo software on their Motorola boxes, but forget that a majority of their customers have Scientific Atlanta boxes. In their advertisements and "how to videos" they always use Motorola on screen guides, never SA, making the videos useless.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to Zizoo

to Zizoo
See to be blunt, I mainly use my MOXI, which has a really good user interface and on screen guide, as well as the grid style. »moxi.com/us/hd_interfaces.html I get all the features, with the exception of on demand, but thats a limitation of the cablecard technology, not the device.
LeftyJR
join:2008-02-19
Avis, PA

LeftyJR

The rumblings that I've heard state that mid-late June is when we'll have our S.25 put in place.