All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

PamA
@windstream.net

PamA

Anon

[Help] Use of someone else EZ Pass in the state of PA.

Can you use someone else EZ Pass or does it have to be registered to the owner of the vehicle name?

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 edit

EGeezer

Premium Member

You probably can, but whether it's legal or not is another question.
11. You agree not to assign the obligation or the benefits of this agreement without the express written consent of the PTC E-ZPass CSC.
Source: »www.paturnpike.com/ezpas ··· erms.htm

Based on the above text, it appears the registered user needs to get written permission to allow someone else to legally use the transponder. You can always confirm the conditions by contacting PTC;
»www.paturnpike.com/contact.aspx

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

south1178 to PamA

Premium Member

to PamA
We've used EZ Pass in a bunch of different cars. Legal or not, it will work.

way2evil
Premium Member
join:2007-09-14
New York, NY

way2evil

Premium Member

said by south1178:

We've used EZ Pass in a bunch of different cars. Legal or not, it will work.
This.

lew_b
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY

2 recommendations

lew_b to PamA

Premium Member

to PamA
I just logged in to my EZ pass account and there is a place to add vehicles. I guess the owner can add your vehicle.
Having said that, my SWAG is that it doesn't matter unless something goes wrong when you pass thru the toll.
I once took a trip from home to Atlantic City and back while my transponder was on the fritz (toll gates said contact EZ pass). As my car was registered, nothing happened. My account did show the tolls. I believe that since the photo of me passing thru EZ pass had the registered plate, all was good.
If for some reason the transponder doesn't register at the toll, the photo of your plate won't match the EZ pass records and then the fun will begin

FordTech1
Premium Member
join:2005-06-22
Katy, TX

FordTech1

Premium Member

Who's to say your not riding with your buddy and decide to bring the ez-tag along?

lew_b
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY

lew_b

Premium Member

said by FordTech1:

Who's to say your not riding with your buddy and decide to bring the ez-tag along?
I just took a quick look at the EZ pass Guide book pdf. It does say that you can't use the EZ pass in another vehicle of a different 'class' than what it's registered for. I'm not seeing anything about a different vehicle of the same class.
This may take further scrutiny (and more coffee, it's early).
GdotMikeL
join:2001-04-23
West Chicago, IL

GdotMikeL to PamA

to PamA
Here in Illinois, if you use someone else's I-Pass and your vehicle is not listed on their account you will get fined. It will take them a while to find you, but they always do.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to PamA

Premium Member

to PamA
wow why did my post get deleted? All I said was just make sure it's not a different class vehicle that you are going to use it on.

You can use it in any car

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

The site went down, the DB got snafu'd, and they had to use an old backup.

It wasn't you.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

oh ok.. that would explain the garbled PM i got.

Earleyp
join:2008-07-05
West Sayville, NY

Earleyp to PamA

to PamA
All I know that Sunpass allows switching car to car as long as you entered the info on the cars when you signed up. If you didn't add the info when you signed up, you gotta do it online and it takes like 24 hours before you switch cars. I wonder if EZ-pass in a diffent state has diffent rules and doesn't aply to other states. (the switching thing)

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to PamA

Premium Member

to PamA
I wouldn't worry about and I doubt they would care unless as stated it was used in a vehicle of a different class. Like a EZ pass registered for a regular passenger car and being used in a tractor trailer, since the two vehicles pay much different toll rates.

pa3lsvt
join:2009-03-21

pa3lsvt to PamA

to PamA
EZ Pass in PA does not try to match EZ Pass Transponder #'s with vehicle license plate #'s. It's perfectly fine to use your EZ Pass in whatever vehicle you want. I rent cars all the time and use my EZ Pass without any issue.

The only reason they want you to give them your plate # is so that if your tag malfunctions (or you forget to put it back in the car) and they snap a "violation" picture, they can trace your license plate and just charge you the proper toll.

caveat: Don't switch vehicle classes, as noted by others.

OvrQualified
Slightly Ahead Of Time
Premium Member
join:2002-01-27
Winter Park, FL

OvrQualified to Earleyp

Premium Member

to Earleyp
said by Earleyp:

All I know that Sunpass allows switching car to car as long as you entered the info on the cars when you signed up. If you didn't add the info when you signed up, you gotta do it online and it takes like 24 hours before you switch cars. I wonder if EZ-pass in a diffent state has diffent rules and doesn't aply to other states. (the switching thing)
Also in Florida, the Orlando Orange County Express Authority (E-Pass) allows transponders to be moved, but the transponder must be *properly mounted*--they look for tags on the windshield in the VES, and if an unregistered car shows a transponder they're a lot nicer in the violation notice than if there isn't one.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to pa3lsvt

Premium Member

to pa3lsvt
Click for full size
said by pa3lsvt:

EZ Pass in PA does not try to match EZ Pass Transponder #'s with vehicle license plate #'s. It's perfectly fine to use your EZ Pass in whatever vehicle you want. I rent cars all the time and use my EZ Pass without any issue.

The only reason they want you to give them your plate # is so that if your tag malfunctions (or you forget to put it back in the car) and they snap a "violation" picture, they can trace your license plate and just charge you the proper toll.

caveat: Don't switch vehicle classes, as noted by others.
I got snapped only because my card stopped linking and the sign said pay toll.. Not allowed to back up..

Nice of them to send a B&W picture of me by email :P

Had to pay the toll and admin fee.
Expand your moderator at work

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to PamA

Premium Member

to PamA

Re: [Help] Use of someone else EZ Pass in the state of PA.

I've used my FasTrak on a difference vehicle from mine and nothing happened. But what's been said, I wouldn't use it on a different class vehicle (2 axle vs 4 axle).