spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BrittBrat
join:2003-02-06
Hollywood, FL

2 edits

BrittBrat

AT&T "upgrades" net email" server to yahoo!!! BIG MISTAKE!

What is going through the heads of the CEOs at AT&T? Why do you must change something that works perfectly good?

For an example, for reading emails, I depend on their net mail services: webmail.att.net/ for checking my bellsouth.net email. I have used this for my main source of reading my email and so I feel very comfortable with this idea.

Now At&t supposedly bought out yahoo (Sorry I don't keep up with companies buying out other companies) and now At&t is forcing their costumers to use Yahoo's emailing service instead of the service that they once have.

This is what their giving me for each time I visit webmail.att.net/ now:

Your AT&T Internet service account has been upgraded
Effective immediately, you should go to www.att.net (»elportal.att.net for Spanish)
for logging into your AT&T Internet Service home page or webmail.
To avoid seeing this page in the future, and having to sign in twice,
please update your home page setting, favorite links or desk top shortcuts immediately.
You will automatically be redirected to the AT&T powered by Yahoo! login screen.
Before accessing your new home page and webmail you'll be prompted to:

1. Sign-in using your full AT&T email ID and password.
2. Update your home page profile information.

Get ready for a great new online experience!

With the new att.net home page, powered by Yahoo!, not only will you be able to create a unique home page experience, you'll also get a new email system and some great new features as well.

If you are not automatically redirected, Click Here to sign-in to your new AT&T home page.

So now I'm at »login.yahoo.com/config/l ··· tner=sbc

I type in my bellsouth.net email address with my password that I always use and the results are : Invalid password.
Please try again.

I find it hilarious because the password use to work on their other emailing service!

So much for having that "Get ready for a great new online experience!" Because I became more frustrated then ever!

Has anyone else had any issue with this new emailing "upgrade"? Now I'm force of talking to the damn costumer service rep.

I call this a "downgrade" instead of an upgrade. It seems more appropriate.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

AT&T did not buy Yahoo!, but they do have a contract with Yahoo! to provide email and other services. This happened with the legacy SBC customers a long time ago, and the process was started for legacy BellSouth customers almost two years ago.

It sounds as if you either did not get (or ignored) the warning emails that were sent out, and you got "force migrated" (and it may not have worked properly). The login link you posted requires the full "username@bellsouth.net" or "username@att.net" address to work properly. Just using "username" will not work.

If using the full email address for the username does not help, you might try going to »www.att.com/esupport/new-home/ to see if you can override the forced migration by doing it yourself. Another alternative might be to try to follow the instructions and reset your account password at »www.att.net/AccountPasswordReset Your PPP (DSL login) password is different from your account password, and it can be reset (if necessary) by following the instructions at »www.att.net/NetworkPasswordReset
BrittBrat
Hollywood, FL

BrittBrat

AT&T is one of the worst telephone/online services out there. When AT&T took over Bellsouth was a beginning of a nightmare. Unfortunately I am still a loyal consumer after all of those years that I've paid for their service. I bet if you were to talk to the workers there, especially those in the costumer support (The true victims, since they take the brutal pounding from angry costumers) department that they can probably tell you how much they are ashamed of working there.

I have typed in my full address (blah@bellsouth.net) including my password that I always type in, so I do remember it by heart, and it tells me wrong password. I was on the phone with these people for an hour and 3 mins and all I got in return from the Yahoo experts (yes ever since AT&T contracted with yahoo, they now have a yahoo expert department) was “We'll call you within 24 hours”. In the mean while I was stupid enough to use my ISP address for business. They also mention to me that a lot of other costumers, I included, are also having the same problem.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by BrittBrat:

I have typed in my full address (blah@bellsouth.net) including my password that I always type in, so I do remember it by heart, and it tells me wrong password. I was on the phone with these people for an hour and 3 mins and all I got in return from the Yahoo experts (yes ever since AT&T contracted with yahoo, they now have a yahoo expert department) was “We'll call you within 24 hours”. In the mean while I was stupid enough to use my ISP address for business. They also mention to me that a lot of other costumers, I included, are also having the same problem.
One reason that a lot of AT&T SE customers are having the same problem is that the "forced migration" for customers who did not migrate their email to the ATT/Yahoo! platform themselves did not always work properly. If Yahoo! did not receive your account information from AT&T, then their servers will not be able to recognize you (nor will Yahoo! support be able to help you).

Did you try the links I supplied to enable you to manually migrate your email account(s) and/or reset the password(s), or are you waiting for the callback that is not likely to happen?

If you want something fixed, sometimes you have to fix it yourself.
BrittBrat
Hollywood, FL

1 edit

BrittBrat

Yes I tried going to »attreg.att.net/PortalMig ··· entry.do to manually migrate my account but ended up receiving this message: Sorry, your account is not eligible for migration at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I actually did this before calling and even the customer support was having a difficult time fixing the problem. She ended up resetting my password and everything else. She ended up on the other line with a yahoo tech. So as of now this problem is solely on Yahoo.

Theirs really nothing that I cannot do at this time.

Hopefully the yahoo tech team can fix the major bugs in their system very soon.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

3 edits

NormanS to BrittBrat

MVM

to BrittBrat
said by BrittBrat:

Now At&t supposedly bought out yahoo (Sorry I don't keep up with companies buying out other companies) and now At&t is forcing their costumers to use Yahoo's emailing service instead of the service that they once have.
In the year 2001 AT&T, Bellsouth, Yahoo!, and SBC were all separate companies.

In the year 2002, SBC contracted with Yahoo! to provide email, and other services, to the SBC DSL customers. This co-branded service was sold as, "SBC Yahoo! DSL Service". SBC was just one of several ISPs to make deals with Yahoo!. Bellsouth was considering doing the same at one time, as well. The ISPs which currently have Yahoo! contracts, in addition to AT&T (none have bought Yahoo!):

BB Japan (Japanese DSL Broadband service.)
BT Internet (UK ISP.)
Rogers Cable (Canadian cable ISP.)
Verizon (US ILEC and DSL provider.)
Xtra (Telecom New Zealand.)

The point is, SBC made the deal with Yahoo! in 2002, and never looked back.

In the year 2006, the SBC buyout of AT&T took effect, and SBC rebranded itself as, "AT&T".

In the year 2007, the new AT&T (which is the old SBC) took over Bellsouth.

In the year 2010, AT&T and Yahoo! remain separate, but continue the contract which SBC originally made with Yahoo! for their portal and email services.

We, in the 13 state SBC regions have long had the option to migrate to the Yahoo! co-branded service. Subsequent to the Bellsouth merger, that changed from option to mandatory across the entire AT&T ILEC footprint; former Bellsouth, and former SBC.

AT&T changed nothing. AT&T was changed by SBC after the buyout.

And I can assure you, as a Pacific Telesis customer who got bought out by SBC, the post Pacific Telesis Group (AT&T West) telephone company is infinitely better after the fact. It is probably telling that it was SBC that bought the Pacific Telesis Group, and not the other way around.

However, I have no way to compare the consequences of the SBC buyout of Ameritech (AT&T Midwest), SNET (AT&T Northeast), Prodigy, or Bellsouth (remembering that SBC (AT&T Southwest) bought AT&T, so the reality is that it is SBC management policies you are seeing).
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

SBC has been nothing short of a nightmare for the nine states that was BellSouth. It seems to get worse every month. They breakup departments that work well move that job function to some other location fill the new departments with personal that have never done that job. At the same time they are destroying the people networks that kept service good they are cutting the times and personal given to do the job. In the past problems the size of an ant would fall through the cracks now the holes are so big elephants are falling through. Management several levels up are beating their heads against the wall in frustration with the top down SBC attitude of we know best just make it work.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

SmokChsr to BrittBrat

Premium Member

to BrittBrat
You can consider me as another customer that is not happy about the email change. But alas I try to adapt and just deal with it. It was even more confused for me since I had a Yahoo login (not for email) and somehow they managed to link it with my Bellsouth login. It can get really confusing, one night even with loging in via my bellsouth login, it would only give me information on my yahoo acct which didn't have email. Add to that having to go through a 10 page questioner to establish a sub email account that doesn't become active for at least a day was extremely aggravating. In the end what can you do.. "we don't care, we don't have too, we're the phone company!"
BrittBrat
Hollywood, FL

BrittBrat

What do you know. After dealing with this issue for several days now and after resetting my passwords a half dozens of times I thought I had it! Now when I go to »login.yahoo.com/config/login? to login with my full email (blah.bellsouth.net) with my new reset password (I made sure that it's correct, since I was slow as a turtle in typing it in) I am now receiving this message:

Invalid email.
Please try again

Time for me to take this problem one step up and actually emailing the CEO of the company with my problems.

»consumerist.com/2007/08/ ··· son.html

Let's just hope that I don't get an email back, or call with a cease and desist letter like what happen to this poor guy

»www.crunchgear.com/2010/ ··· roubles/

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by BrittBrat:

What do you know. After dealing with this issue for several days now and after resetting my passwords a half dozens of times I thought I had it! Now when I go to »login.yahoo.com/config/login? to login with my full email (blah.bellsouth.net) with my new reset password (I made sure that it's correct, since I was slow as a turtle in typing it in) I am now receiving this message:

Invalid email.
Please try again
Since you have reset your password multiple times, that may be contributing to your problem. Not every ATT/Yahoo system gets updated for a password change at the same time. It can take time (up to 24 hours) for a password change to propagate to every ATT/Yahoo function that needs authentication. I am sure that ATT/Yahoo did not intend for a password change to sometimes take that long to propagate to all their systems, but nonetheless it is the way that it works in reality.
BrittBrat
Hollywood, FL

BrittBrat

I just want to write a follow up on my emailing issues. A guy called from AT&T regarding to my emailing issue earlier today. After a password reset (yet again) my email was accessible.

dslguru
@ameritech.net

dslguru to BrittBrat

Anon

to BrittBrat
And the customer is always right. Especially in this case - he didn't change anything the provider did and it shouldn't have been so difficult to correct. Mergers or not, this was a nightmare scenario and its a shame it took so much effort to correct. I'm happy you got it worked out in the end though!
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow to SmokChsr

Premium Member

to SmokChsr
I like SmokChsr have 2 Yahoo accounts for the same reason one was an old Yahoo account and the other for my BellSouth.net account. I have never had any problem keeping them separate. It goes to which ever user name I log in with. I would never go to the Yahoo ATT e-mail account except to check for good messages that get put in the Spam.
I will say I went around and round trying to get the LOGIN so I did not have to LOGIN then Login again. I finally got it so I was not redirected.