All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Quibble28
join:2009-12-03

Quibble28

Re: [Credit Card Fraud] Unauthorized Charge for $39.71 from the

Even though the scam started in July 2010, it is still going strong with a flurry of recent fraudulent charges. Same routine, same shell site, same bank runaround yet it goes on.

Here's just one discussion with recent complaints:

»whocallsme.com/Phone-Num ··· 890108/5

I filed a complaint at the fbi.gov site, I know others did too, yet nothing has happened. I wrote John Leyden with the Register about how prevalent this is and hope he chimes in since it involves organized crime using UK addresses.
whoisbid
join:2011-01-08

whoisbid to Quibble28

to Quibble28
I have noticed an increase in credit card fraud. There seems to be lots of companies cheating people out of pennies and dimes cause they probably figure people won't go after them
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to Quibble28

to Quibble28

Re: [Credit Card Fraud] Unauthorized Charge

I haven't read this entire thread yet, so forgive me if this has already been suggested, but virtual card numbers are ideal for preventing this type of problem. I use them almost exclusively for all of my internet shopping (including purchases via PayPal), and so far I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). A lot of people will turn up their noses at using virtual numbers because they don't see the need; that is, until they or someone they know gets burned.

I know that Bank of America has ShopSafe and Citibank has VAN (Virtual Account Numbers). American Express and Paypal both had something similar at one time, but I'm not sure if they still do or not. There are probably others out there, too.
danp007
join:2011-03-02

danp007 to Quibble28

to Quibble28

Re: [Credit Card Fraud] Unauthorized Charge for $39.71 from the

forgive me for being simple and sorry if this has already been answered but i to found this charge on my credit card statement this month - are the banks unable to stop this charge? and do they know it is an adult site? little embarrasing if they do...thanks for any help in advance. Dan

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Second question first, I doubt very much anyone at the bank is even aware of this charge, the entire process is automated (and the computers handling the charges don't concern themselves with moral or value judgements).

As for your first question, I doubt that these can EASILY stopped, or stopped with "moderate" difficulty, but I'm sure they could be stopped with a concerted, coordinated effort of the banks, Interpol, the national and local police forces of countries on several continents. Likely to happen? Yeah, I'll hold my breathe, too.

These operations are run by well-connected organized crime rings with connections very deeply held within the entire credit card processing system. Some cards that have never been used for anything have had fraudulent charges appear. Others that have been charged were part of the multi-million card number thefts that we hear about from time to time.

In any case, you must now get a new card -- the old number is actively being used by the criminals and they won't stop until the charges are denied.
Quibble28
join:2009-12-03

Quibble28

Gary is right: get a new card. Seems like the lower-end cards are letting this charge go through. I thought at first it had something to do with subscribing to an adult site but one's internet habits seem to have little to do with it. The latest victims find charges on unactivated, never-used on the net, debit, and even welfare cards.

I'm still mystified why this scam has picked up speed nine months after first reported. For every one who bothers posting on a message board, there's at least 100 who don't. Only 25% even pursue a small fraudulent charge according to one gov study.

Since it costs banks and credit card companies to do a chargeback - I've heard anywhere from $15 to $100 - they may not be that cooperative. I went through hoops with Bank of America and closed one of my oldest accounts because of it.

I expected my credit score to go down significantly (due to many and various scoring factors) but remarkably, it went up ten points. So just having a Bank of America card hurts the score? (the exception would be for those establishing credit, or with low to average credit scores - any card usually helps because you want more available credit, better debt ratio, etc...)

Back to the topic: I've seen a recent upsurge in comments on 800notes about lafincs even though it was never a phone call. Many are just realizing they have been victimized for several months with the same recurring charge, google, and find message board complaints and add their story.

I hope more people report this to the fbi.gov internet crime link. A complaint only takes 2 minutes.
Sloan6
join:2011-03-24

Sloan6 to Quibble28

to Quibble28
Lived in the UK all my life and just checked my debit card online statement to see that ive been hit by lafincs.com with a £25.19 charge along with a £0.74 commission fee. Have asked bank to cancel and chargeback and they will do so but will changing the last 4 digits on my card really stop them or do i need to change the account number too now?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Sloan6:

but will changing the last 4 digits on my card really stop them or do i need to change the account number too now?

They change the entire account number, not just the last 4 digits.

geo
@irishbroadband.ie

geo

Anon

100% sure this is the same scam / company as LAFINCS.COM under a different name i.e LEBOAID.COM:

They were charging me multiple charges a month and i contacted them and got them to stop and refund but they just continued to charge. I rang my bank and they said the only thing they could do was block the issuer from charging my account but only if iu sent a written letter to them - they were more or less blaming me and saying it was my fault and if you give your card number online then tuff luck.. not helpful at all.
I haven't seen charges for months but just this month I got charge from LAFINCS.COM -i know i haven't joined anything new in months so it is fraudulent. Below is my collected info on the scam merchant:

»aabbt.net/support/index.html
CANCEL SITES HERE
They added to »bjblowout.net without with concent.

www.kacey18.com

»trpay.com/cancel.php

Your credit card will be charged as: EPGBILL.com/NetholeServi

* VIP Membership Includes the following:
1. Bing Teen DVD's Free 3 Day Trial Recurs
Automatically at $34.76 unless Canceled
2. Reality Teens Free 2 Day Trial Recurs
Automatically at $39.99 unless Canceled

Nethole Services LTD Strovolou 77, Strovolos Center, Flat 204, Nicosia, P.C. 2018, Cyprus
Sampson Investments AVV holds the Trademark & Copyright.

You have a membership with the following site(s)
wowreality.com (Inactive)

fullasspass.com (Inactive)

tinyteenpass.com (Inactive)

07/07/10 EPGBILL.COM.NETHOLES 8.05

06/08/10 EPGBILL.COM.NETHOLES 7.71

20/08/10 EPGBILL.COM.LEBOAID. 29.55

»aabbt.net/support/email.html

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Customer Service Management Company, the global leader in
Internet customer service. Your subscription #90358821, #90357931 , has been
cancelled and you will not receive any further charges to your account regarding
this membership.

Your account has been refunded in the amount of $29.95 and $39.95 and $1.25 .
Please allow 7 - 10 business days for the funds to reach your financial institution.

Thank you,
Johan L.
Customer Service Management Company

Customer Service available when you need it:
Self Service: »aabbt.net
Email: cs@aabbt.net
Toll Free in US/Canada 1-866-905-5126
Outside US/Canada 1-954-379-3280