WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

1 edit

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

[TiVo] Cable Card not authorized after Tivo clear and delete

I have a Tivo Premier. With all the new shows coming up, I wanted to reformat my Tivo, and did so. Now, even though it is the same CableCard, same Tivo box, I get the not authorized message. Had a refresh sent to my box from the automated system, and then spent some time on the phone with a CSR, but she was unable to assist. Now I have to wait until Friday for a tech visit?? What the heck??

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

2 edits

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Re: [TiVo] Cable Card not authorized after Tivo format

By reformat of your Tivo did you mean a clear and delete?
You might need to have the tivo repare the cards. Just go to the the card page and then call Comcast and tell that you need to repair the cards.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

Yep, a clear and delete. The lady I spoke with didn't seem to understand really what a CableCard even was. She didn't ask me for any of the numbers or device ID at all

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

When you do clear and delete you do not reformat the drive. The pairing information should still be there.
Call back again you might get lucky and get some one that knows.
If that does not help you an go to this page.
»Comcast Direct

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

That is what I figured as well. I'll give it a shot later, bout to head out. Thanks for the info.
lynxexp
join:2010-08-17

lynxexp

said by WoofieInPC:

That is what I figured as well. I'll give it a shot later, bout to head out. Thanks for the info.
Just need to call up and have the rep send a PAR hit to the box. That will resync everything.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

said by lynxexp:

said by WoofieInPC:

Just need to call up and have the rep send a PAR hit to the box. That will resync everything.
Is that different from the hit the auto system sends? I had it do that. And would the rep know what I'm talking about?
WoofieInPC

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

I did call back, asked for the PAR hit. Transferred me to the local call center, lady did at least ask me for the numbers, but was unable to change whatever she needed to change. So for now, I just yanked out the card to prevent the constant pop-ups telling me the card isn't authorized. What a pain in the butt this turned out to be.
Comcast_AL
join:2010-09-06
Jewett City, CT

Comcast_AL to WoofieInPC

to WoofieInPC
is it coming up "Not Authorized" for all channels or just a few select channels? A refresh hit through the 1-800 is different than the hit/restage the cable cards need to receive. Let me know, maybe we can get you back up and running before Friday.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

said by Comcast_AL:

is it coming up "Not Authorized" for all channels or just a few select channels? A refresh hit through the 1-800 is different than the hit/restage the cable cards need to receive. Let me know, maybe we can get you back up and running before Friday.
That would be wonderful, my old lady is ready to rip me a new one! I could get some channels, but ESPN (for one) was unauthorized.
WoofieInPC

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

And at least for the moment, it IS out of the box. So should I put it back in? Problem is, when it is in and unauthorized, the Tivo pops up a screen every couple of minutes telling me so.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger to WoofieInPC

Premium Member

to WoofieInPC
Ask in this site. It isa tivo help forum.
»www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· =30&f=67

retiredqwest
join:2005-04-01
Spokane, WA

retiredqwest

from the TIVO support page. Searched for 'clear and delete'
quote:
By performing the procedure below, you will return your TiVo DVR to its factory settings, which means that you will erase all Season Passes, WishLists and settings.

This process can take several hours to complete.

WARNING: If you have a DVR with CableCARD(s), you will need to have each CableCARD paired (bound) again after the DVR completes the Clear & Delete Everything process. A screen will pop up to notify you that you need to contact your cable provider if you tune to a copy-protected channel. Analog, unencrypted, and encrypted channels that are not copy protected will be viewable without having the cards paired.

To delete or clear all recordings and preferences:

* TiVo with SD menus: Go to TiVo Central > Messages & Settings >Restart or Reset System > Clear and Delete Everything.

NOTE: As a safety measure, you will need to press THUMBS DOWN three times and then ENTER to proceed.

* TiVo with HD menus: Go to TiVo Central > Messages & settings > Help > Restart or Reset System > Clear and Delete Everything.

NOTE: As a safety measure, you will need to press THUMBS DOWN three times and then ENTER to proceed.
Back to the TIVO support page and search for cable card and the 'Troubleshooting CableCARD activation and channel issues' is what you want. It tells you how to troubleshoot the cable card.

And since you reset the TIVO you will probably have to run the 'guided setup' again.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

That seems to be what happened. I knew, and didn't mind, having to re-reun Guided Setup, but didn't realize it would lose pairing. CableCARDs seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by WoofieInPC:

That seems to be what happened. I knew, and didn't mind, having to re-reun Guided Setup, but didn't realize it would lose pairing. CableCARDs seem to be more trouble than they are worth.
When I bought my s3 in Sept of 2006 I installed 2 s-cards with no problem July of 2009 I exchanged the Hard drive to a 1tb drive. Since I exchanged the hard drive I had to repair the cards.
In April 2010 I bought my premiere I took the s-cards back and got a m-card. I installed it and so far no troubles.
You only hear the bad not the good on the internet.. For me they been working flawlessly.
From what I asked in the tivo help forum a clear and delete does not cause you lose pairing.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

Thanks. I didn't think so either, or I wouldn't have done that. This is my first experience with the cards, and it's been a pain from the get-go. My first Premier died, and I thought I just had to plug the card into the replacement, and I was wrong. THAT I can understand, but this one I can't.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

It sill sounds it did lose pairing. You will have to get a Comcast cs that knows what pairing is. My area knows what it is when you call. I called mine in twice, once when I changed the hard drive and when I bought the premiere. Your area might require a tech vist which i think is bs.
I can not remember if I ever did a clear and delete on my s3.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

Yep, it definitely did. I've browsed through the CableCard screens, and shows a bunch of *stuff* I don't get, but not pulling an IP, and not authorized. THAT I get, LOL.

retiredqwest
join:2005-04-01
Spokane, WA

retiredqwest

I just went thru this last week as I replaced my hard drive in my THD.

I went to the cable card menu 'CableCARD Pairing' screen and wrote down the Host ID and Data ID.

After I had them change the data ID I rebooted the THD and checked the 'conditional access' screen.

3 items to check.

Con: Yes, Val: V and Auth: S.

The VAL is supposed to goto V when it is paired, but it was a '?'. They sent a hit to activate the premium channels and I got the Val: V. I checked the channels the Encore channels and most of the rest. I dropped the Comcast call and then ran the guided setup so it would know what channels were activated and would start loading the guide data for them. It's been running the last 8 days without a burp.

The problem for a CSR is the CC is one-way so they receive no data as to it's status.

Oh and when I called Comcast, they have the voice response system here and when it asked me what I wanted to do I said 'Cable Card'. Don't know if that would apply in FL.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to WoofieInPC

to WoofieInPC
said by WoofieInPC:

And at least for the moment, it IS out of the box. So should I put it back in? Problem is, when it is in and unauthorized, the Tivo pops up a screen every couple of minutes telling me so.
My Moxi did the same thing, Comcast needs to take the card off the account and put it back on, like a new install. This usually will require a support visit.