Search similar:

uniqs

jeisenberg
New Year's Eve
join:2001-07-06
Windsor, ON

jeisenberg

Email sent to AOL is timing out

Over the past 24-48 hours, I've had all email sent to AOL recipients returned as "Delivery Expired (Message too old)" - corresponding to code 5.4.7

Is there anything in Cogeco's email profile or transmission method that could be affecting delivery to AOL?

As a test, I will try sending from Hotmail to AOL.
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer

Premium Member

Looking into it I'll let you know.
Marcer

Marcer

Premium Member

Issue is impacting a portion of the e-mail to certain providers (Yahoo, Rogers, AOL confirmed so far) but the majority of mail looks to be going through. Issue appears to be on our side and we're working on it.

Krispy1
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
the stix

Krispy1 to jeisenberg

Premium Member

to jeisenberg
Thanks Jeisenberg, I did receive an escalation about Yahoo/Rogers (Yahoo does Rogers email so when Yahoo blocks you Rogers is blocking you too) and it seems one (of our multiple) webmail gateways is currently being filtered by Yahoo so I'm working on that right now.

I didn't receive anything about AOL but looking through logs I do see some errors but it would greatly speed things up if I had a specific message to look at so if you don't mind providing me a few details I'd appreciate if you could PM or email me a few more details such as the Cogeco email address you were using and the approx date you sent the message and the full bounce AOL sent you if possible.

jeisenberg
New Year's Eve
join:2001-07-06
Windsor, ON

jeisenberg

I'll check to see if I kept those. If I did, I'll forward them to your email addy with full headers.
oblender
join:2003-07-31
Toronto, ON

oblender to jeisenberg

to jeisenberg
My mother uses cogeco and has been experiencing the same issue since September. She's had multiple emails bounce back from a webserver in the UK.
nybble
join:2005-12-07
Hamilton, ON

nybble to jeisenberg

to jeisenberg
noticed this at work as well. AOL seems to be backed up.

Looks like it has cleared up though.

Check here: »postmaster-blog.aol.com/

Krispy1
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
the stix

Krispy1 to oblender

Premium Member

to oblender
said by oblender:

My mother uses cogeco and has been experiencing the same issue since September. She's had multiple emails bounce back from a webserver in the UK.

If you're talking about talktalk and/or tiscali I resolved those issues yesterday (at least I think I did!).

'Black Friday' (aka: American Thanksgiving) is spamapalooza time so typically mail servers get nailed globally this week - as usual we're trying to stay on top of it to avoid any major problems but just a big spammy time of year right now with all the botherders doing their best to obtain and abuse infected hosts.
oblender
join:2003-07-31
Toronto, ON

oblender to jeisenberg

to jeisenberg
Yes I was referring to tiscali. My mother's had problems since september but glad that things may have been resolved.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Krispy1

Premium Member

to Krispy1
Still an issue, in case you were not aware:

Generating server: fipsb03.cogeco.net

Messages from 216.221.81.193 temporarily deferred - 4.16.55.1

Any possibility of moving businesses to secure email services so they're not affected by this? Time sensitive emails often do not receive a delivery failure notification until the business day has ended, depending on various configurations.

CoreyDel
@yourtimearound.com

CoreyDel to jeisenberg

Anon

to jeisenberg
Working fine here, no errors.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by CoreyDel :

Working fine here, no errors.

Happens only sending to certain servers, such as AOL and Yahoo and only from certain outgoing Cogeco servers it would seem, since this client successfully received an email from me earlier in the day.

The above message I believe was from mail.re2.yahoo.com sending to a Rogers client (Rogers uses Yahoo for their email).

nevertheless
Premium Member
join:2002-03-08
St Catharines, ON

1 recommendation

nevertheless to jeisenberg

Premium Member

to jeisenberg
While AOL et al are still blocking some of our outbound IP addresses, we're attempting to get delivery through.

As of nowish most email has been or is in the process of being delivered to the remote end and Cogeco is trying to alleviate the root cause of these latest issues.
nevertheless

nevertheless to jeisenberg

Premium Member

to jeisenberg
The root cause here has been fixed. It may take a few days for remote sides to retrust us, but things should return to normal shortly.

Please let us know if you encounter any new issues.

Elephant99
join:2010-12-02
Waterdown, ON

Elephant99

Not sure if this is related, but think it could be - this issue is not resolved. A Rogers customer is sending email to my Cogeco account, but it never arrives. It bounces back with the following message:

Connected to 216.221.81.26 but connection died. (#4.4.2) I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

Note 216.221.81.26 times out on a ping or trace.
There are multiple messages sent over the past 1-7 days that have not yet bounced back to the Rogers customer. The most recent bounce we're aware of was on an email message sent on Nov 24. This finally bounced back to the Rogers customer with the above message sometime in the last 24 hours. Note it did go though the server implicated in the thread above (Namely smtp102.rog.mail.re2.yahoo.com ([206.190.36.80])

Not all emails from the Rogers customer bounce; some arrive with no apparent problems.

Any help would be appreciated - these are business-related emails.

nevertheless
Premium Member
St Catharines, ON

nevertheless

Premium Member

Inbound mail to us isn't related to the issue at hand, but if you'd like to PM me the email addresses in question and rough timestamps of when they were sent I'll investigate possible issues with Rogers (Yahoo) sending to us.

I can't see why they'd have a queue sending to us and this if the first I've heard of potential issues with inbound mail.

Elephant99
Waterdown, ON

2 edits

Elephant99

Thanks very much, have just sent the header to you. (Let me know if I did this correctly, I'm new to the web forum experience...)

I talked to Cogeco tech support and said that there was a known issue with bounce backs between Rogers and Cogeco customers. The individual was unaware of the IP address referenced in the bounce timing out, however.

We're also aware of at least one email that was sent from us to the Rogers customer that they haven't received. It was sent at Mon 11/29/2010 10:11 PM.

Thanks again for your time.

Edit - 12-3 @ 13:05

Just became aware of a new bounceback that was originally sent on November 26 (Bounce back received by the Rogers customer this morning). Header PMd to you as well. Looks pretty similar to the first one I sent you earlier.

nevertheless
Premium Member
St Catharines, ON

nevertheless

Premium Member

From the looks of it Yahoo (Rogers) had similar issues in regards to the reputation of their outbound email servers, and our inbound mitigation techniques dealt with them the same way they dealt with ours. :P

Things have begun to normalize now and delivery from Yahoo is looking decent enough now, so this is quite possibly all just blowback from the normal Black Friday spam blitzes.

Try again and let me know if you still have latency in either direction.
nevertheless

nevertheless to Elephant99

Premium Member

to Elephant99
said by Elephant99:

Edit - 12-3 @ 13:05

Just became aware of a new bounceback that was originally sent on November 26 (Bounce back received by the Rogers customer this morning). Header PMd to you as well. Looks pretty similar to the first one I sent you earlier.

If you can get me full headers from this one I'd be interested in seeing it. We're not really blocking any of their outbound mail exchangers as far as I can see, so if there's an issue it may be on their end and I'll have to reach out to their mail admins.

Elephant99
Waterdown, ON

Elephant99

I'll do that, but need help with the concept of a 'full header' - is that different from what I sent you via PM?

Thanks

nevertheless
Premium Member
St Catharines, ON

nevertheless

Premium Member

What you sent was sufficient for this use.

Elephant99
Waterdown, ON

Elephant99

Update Sunday afternoon 12-05 3:40PM

Significant latencies still being experienced.

Rogers customer sent an email to the Cogeco account at 6:27 AM today, and copied a Yahoo account we also have - The Yahoo mail was received pretty much immediately, still haven't received the one sent to the Cogeco account.
Elephant99

Elephant99 to nevertheless

to nevertheless
Another bounce from a message originally sent November 29th. Bounce received this afternoon by the Rogers customer. Full header PM'd to you. All emails bounce due to connection with Cogeco IP 216.221.81.26 failing; Network-Tools.com still shows this IP timing out when pinged.

Any luck so far? Thanks again for your help.

nevertheless
Premium Member
St Catharines, ON

nevertheless

Premium Member

We've talked with our contacts at Rogers who basically told us to talk to Yahoo.

This appears to be an issue with them coming to us, as we're absolutely accepting mail from them.

We're attempting some mitigation on our side but without a dialog with them it's difficult to know what's going on as their servers are simply complaining they can't contact us for 7 days, when we absolutely see inbound mail from that server on a constant basis.

Elephant99
Waterdown, ON

Elephant99

Hmm..

Meanwhile, just today we've become aware of three more bounces (same type) from mails originally sent on the 30th of November, exactly 7 days ago. We also continue to be aware of at least one email a day from the Rogers customer that doesn't make it to the Cogeco account.

Do you want me to send you the headers from the emails?

Also, no one has been able to explain why pinging the IP address referenced in the email results in a timeout. Doesn't that implicate the Cogeco server somehow? It's definitely a Cogeco IP address.

nevertheless
Premium Member
St Catharines, ON

nevertheless

Premium Member

said by Elephant99:

Also, no one has been able to explain why pinging the IP address referenced in the email results in a timeout. Doesn't that implicate the Cogeco server somehow? It's definitely a Cogeco IP address.

The server is up, it's just not responding to ICMPs.

I'm going to try some stuff on our end in a bit, gimmie a bit.
nevertheless

nevertheless

Premium Member

said by nevertheless:

I'm going to try some stuff on our end in a bit, gimmie a bit.

OK, let me know if you get any more bounces.

Elephant99
Waterdown, ON

Elephant99

Will do. Would we expect past messages that are still in cyberspace to suddenly make it through?

Thanks again for your time to try to figure this out.

nevertheless
Premium Member
St Catharines, ON

nevertheless

Premium Member

said by Elephant99:

Will do. Would we expect past messages that are still in cyberspace to suddenly make it through?

Thanks again for your time to try to figure this out.

Messages you have not yet received the final bounceback for could still be delivered. It really depends on where the holdup is.

Elephant99
Waterdown, ON

1 edit

Elephant99

Rogers customer received another 7 day-old bounce yesterday. Header PM'd to you.

Edit 12-10-2010:

Rogers customer has received 2 more bounces, both originally sent Dec 3. Headers look the same.