uniqs
retired17
Premium Member
join:2007-01-24
Anaheim, CA

retired17

Premium Member

disabling garage door opener at night time

I have a Genie 8600 garage door opener that I would like to disable at night by wiring an off-on switch into the unit. I'm afraid somebody with an universal remote can open the door and enter the house while I am asleep. I'm disconnecting the power by pulling the electrical cord to disable the opener but that is such a hassle. An on-off switch would be more convenient. Thanks for your help.

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake

MVM

Yes?

I don't see a question in your posting. My garage door is on the same circuit as my outdoor motion sensor lights. That circuit is on a switch which I only turn off if there's high winds or we are away from the house on vacation. Otherwise, the garage door opener is on at all times.

The openers now have a couple billion codes to get in. I think the chances of someone getting in with a remote are rather low compared to breaking a window or forcing a door. But if you still want the peace of mind that the door is disabled at night then by all means, wire in a switch.

Another option you have is to plug the door opener into a timer. This will automatically cut power at a given time at night and turn it on at a given time in the morning. The drawback here is that if you lose power, the timer will lose the current time (the cheap ones) and your window of on/off for the opener will be skewed until you fix it.

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Jtmo to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
How about just locking the door from the garage into the house at night.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
Turn on vacation mode, that locks the door and cannot be opened via the remotes.
retired17
Premium Member
Anaheim, CA

retired17

Premium Member

My question was 'is it possible to wire in a switch?' But I like the idea of installing a timer, so that is what I'm going to do. Thanks for your replies.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
You really have nothing to worry about at all. The 8600 changes it's code each and every time it is used. Even if some sophisticated theif used a code grabber to record the current code on your door, it would no longer work to open it for them. The odds of someone being able to use another remote to open it are billions to 1.
quote:
Rolling Code Systems for Garage Door Opener Security

A rolling code system changes your garage door opener code every time you use it. Billions of code combinations are randomly chosen by your rolling code system. This makes it impossible to capture your code into any kind of code grabber system used by a thief.

Read more: »www.doityourself.com/str ··· 5r0mpQoI

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
is this what you want?

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua

Premium Member

Most garage openers plug in to an outlet in the ceiling. I doubt that switch is going to work.
retired17
Premium Member
Anaheim, CA

retired17 to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
I was thinking somebody with a duplicate Genie remote could open the garage door but now I recall the installer had to press a button on the head while holding the remote next to it. I guess that is Genie's way of telling the remote that I will respond to your signal and no other. Thanks again for the replies.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to retired17

MVM

to retired17
The old openers with a few dipswitches (that you match between opener and remote) are prone to people with a remote driving around but as others have said, newer openers really don't have that risk.

In case someone with an older unit wants to do the same, you certainly can wire it through a switch.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Yeah it's so good even my Homelink in my car has a issue with it once in a blue moon.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to retired17

Mod

to retired17
Personally I'd use an x10 appliance module or something if you want.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to retired17

MVM

to retired17
If it were on a timer, it would be a serious PITA if you were out late one night and wanted in. You'd have to get out, over-ride the timer, then go back to the car.

I think Lurch's information should be sufficient enough for your situation.

Nick_L
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Pittsburgh, PA

Nick_L to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
If it were really a problem, you would be reading about it all the time, as there are millions of garage door openers installed in this country. If you really need a little more piece of mind, I would look into a small "local alarm". Something similar to what small retail shops might use to let them know someone has opened the door. Transmitter goes on your door, receiver can go somewhere in the home where it will wake you if you are sleeping.

Here is one example (note: I have no experience with this site or system, it's just a quick google example) »www.specialtyalarms.com/ ··· t/70-524

prag
join:2000-12-19
Sherwood, OR

prag to retired17

to retired17
My garage door opener on the wall looks similar to this. I think this would work well for you. No timers and you just have to press a button to lock/unlock.

»www.bizrate.com/remote-c ··· 942.html
bkjohnson
Premium Member
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL

bkjohnson to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
My garage door opener has a dedicated breaker. When I let my dogs in the garage because of the weather, I just turn the breaker off to prevent someone in the family from opening the door with a car remote thereby letting the dogs loose.
retired17
Premium Member
Anaheim, CA

retired17 to prag

Premium Member

to prag
Prag, I wish I had something like that on my wall, but I don't. All I have is a wired switch with two wires. Press to open, press again to close. I don't have the latest opener head.
retired17

retired17 to Nick_L

Premium Member

to Nick_L
I have lived in my house for over 29 years with no break-in but alas my luck ran out. Was burglarized back in August during the day. He tried the garage side door then two windows before getting in. I'm happy my wife and I were not home. They caught the guy with my stuff so right now he and his gang are going through the slow, slow, justice system. Won't get my stuff back until he is convicted, pleads guilty, or is found not guilty. So I worry when I go out or go to bed. I need the switch for my peace of mind.

mort p mac
join:2000-09-29
AsteroidBelt

mort p mac to retired17

to retired17

Switched extension cord
I used one of these. I used to unplug like you. Quick and easy install...

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to prag

Premium Member

to prag
said by prag:

My garage door opener on the wall looks similar to this. I think this would work well for you. No timers and you just have to press a button to lock/unlock.

»www.bizrate.com/remote-c ··· 942.html

Ya know, that reminded me that my Chamberlain LiftMaster opener has a lock feature too. I never use it so it never crosses my mind. I just press the button and the door cannot be opened with a remote.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
At my old house I put a bicycle lock through the roller channel so it only could lift about an inch then stopped when it hit the lock.

My current house has a dual deadbolt door lock, which serves the same purpose.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to Jtmo

to Jtmo
said by Jtmo:

Have you ever seen some accidentally try and use the opener while its physically locked? EEEEK, it'll bend the door in half.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to DataDoc

Premium Member

to DataDoc
said by DataDoc:

At my old house I put a bicycle lock through the roller channel so it only could lift about an inch then stopped when it hit the lock.

My current house has a dual deadbolt door lock, which serves the same purpose.

You have to be very certain that the lift force on the opener is set really low when you do that or you can ruin the door.

Prevailer
Freeze a poopy.
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Your Mom

Prevailer to toby

Premium Member

to toby
said by toby:

said by Jtmo:

Have you ever seen some accidentally try and use the opener while its physically locked? EEEEK, it'll bend the door in half.

Yes. It's rather ugly for the owner and rather nice for the installer/repair guy. Locking the roller channel would cause some damage also. I don't know that I would even trust a low force with it. Use the lock on the opener or unplug the unit. If you have a keypard, you'd be more likely for someone just to see which four numbers are worn off and then take a few seconds to try the combinations until one opens. If the numbers are starting to wear, change the code.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
said by retired17:

So I worry when I go out or go to bed. I need the switch for my peace of mind.

Then get an alarm system...

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
My chaimberlain opener can be 'locked' via the hardwired opener on the wall, just hold down the 'Lock' button and it disables any wireless remote from opening the door.

Does the Genie not have something like that?
mikefxu
join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

mikefxu to retired17

to retired17
Just lock the entry door and be done. Or purchase one of those cheap wireless alarms and set it up on the garage door.