Search similar:

uniqs

streetmedik
Just an Ole Streetmedik
join:2004-12-17
Henryetta, OK

streetmedik

[DIRECTV] USB port

On the back of the directv standard and HD receivers there is a USB port. What is it for? what can I do with it?
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc

you can charge your cell phone or Mp3 player other than that it was intented for OTA at one time. Not offered anymore.

The Other port (esata) sp is to connect a esternal Hard drive for more storage-but you already knew that .

streetmedik
Just an Ole Streetmedik
Henryetta, OK

streetmedik

WHat is OTA?

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Over The Air (OTA)

streetmedik
Just an Ole Streetmedik
Henryetta, OK

streetmedik

So basically, it is a useless port?

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven to westdc

Mod

to westdc
The AM-21 OTA receiver is still offered and available.

See near the bottom of this page:
»www.directv.com/DTVAPP/c ··· receiver

BuckarooB
Beware Lectroids from PlanetX
Premium Member
join:2001-10-27
Cloverdale, VA

BuckarooB to streetmedik

Premium Member

to streetmedik
I charge my PS3 controllers and Mic with that port...

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 edit

maartena to streetmedik

Premium Member

to streetmedik
The USB port is used by DirecTV to upload the software to it for the first time, or to do updated to it that are not downloaded from the satellite. As mentioned above, it can also be used to connect an OTA tuner to the device.

I believe it also accepts a USB keyboard, but not sure what you can do with it.

From a users point of view, yeah it might be fairly useless unless you need a USB port to charge a device.

If you are looking to add storage to the receiver, it has an eSata port for that. USB is a tad bit to slow to record two HD shows at once, AND watch another show at the same time, so they opted to use eSATA which is as fast as native SATA. (3Gbps on SATA vs 480 Mbps on USB)

denb45
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04
Albuquerque, NM

denb45

Premium Member

Couldn't you use a USB-keyboard on that instead of that lame as remote to type-things- into the search-box?

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by denb45:

Couldn't you use a USB-keyboard on that instead of that lame as remote to type-things- into the search-box?

Well.... try it? I only have a wireless keyboard, it is USB.... but since it required drivers, it won't work. A wired USB keyboard, just might.
sven_kirk3
join:2002-07-23
Lithia Springs, GA

sven_kirk3 to streetmedik

to streetmedik
On my Directv branded Tivo (Samsung SIR S4080), I have it connected to my network via USB/network adapter.
It does not run out of the box that way.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to streetmedik

MVM

to streetmedik
So you can't use USB 2.0 hard drives to add storage space? I thought you could (but I never tried it). I haven't seen an external drive with eSATA - just USB 2.0. 480mbps would be good if HD is 19mbps, no?

denb45
Premium Member
Albuquerque, NM

denb45 to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
It works, that USB keyboard on my HR24

streetmedik
Just an Ole Streetmedik
Henryetta, OK

streetmedik

What "typing things" can we do on the receivers? And can these things only be done on certain receivers?

denb45
Premium Member
Albuquerque, NM

denb45

Premium Member

said by streetmedik:

What "typing things" can we do on the receivers? And can these things only be done on certain receivers?

With DIRECTV's new Smart Search, finding exactly what you're looking for on TV is faster and easier than ever. You can search for movies, shows, sports, people, channels and more. Your search results start appearing as soon as you enter the first letter. But there's so much more.

Here's how it works:

* Click the MENU button on your remote, and then select "Smart Search." You'll see a letterpad, as well as Suggested Searches highlighting new and interesting shows and movies.
* Use your arrow buttons to navigate the letters on the letterpad and press SELECT, or use your number keys in the same way you would text on a cell phone.
* Results start to appear as soon as you enter your first letter.
* When your title comes up, you can set your recording options, see detailed cast info, pictures, filmographies and bios of actors and actresses — plus see upcoming movies and shows they appear in.

That's not all. The more you use Smart Search, the smarter it gets — it saves all your recent searches to help you find what you're looking for the next time.

Try Smart Search today — the easiest, quickest and smartest way to find your TV entertainment. Available to customers with the HD DVR or DVR (R22 or higher) receiver, compliments of DIRECTV*.

*Some customers with the HD DVR or DVR (R22 or higher) may not yet have access to Smart Search, but it will be coming very soon.