All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

teletone
join:2010-06-07
Toronto, On

teletone

possible to keep sympatico email add. when cancelling bell?

is there any way possible to keep my sympatico email account when cancelling my bell internet services?

my sympatico email address is handled by hotmail anyway. what does it have to do will bell? can't i keep it? is there some sort of payable upgrade for hotmail, like a yearly premium fee, so i can keep the @sympatico.ca address without bell?
BaCkLaSH86
join:2010-11-25

BaCkLaSH86

Sympatico emails are hosted by hotmail, so yes it has to do with Bell since it is a service that Bell provides to you. Your only option is to downgrade to a cheap dialup plan.

teletone
Toronto, On

teletone

said by BaCkLaSH86:

Sympatico emails are hosted by hotmail, so yes it has to do with Bell since it is a service that Bell provides to you. Your only option is to downgrade to a cheap dialup plan.

do they still offer dialup? i tried to look for it on their website but couldn't find it.
BaCkLaSH86
join:2010-11-25

BaCkLaSH86

The probably do, better off contacting billing to find out.
bjlockie
join:2007-12-16
Ontario

bjlockie to teletone

to teletone
It's recommended not to use an ISP's email, get one that is separate.
bjlockie

bjlockie to BaCkLaSH86

to BaCkLaSH86
said by BaCkLaSH86:

The probably do, better off contacting billing to find out.

Ya, there is sympatico dialup, it costs as much as DSL lite.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to teletone

to teletone
said by teletone:

is there any way possible to keep my sympatico email account when cancelling my bell internet services?

When I decided to ditch Videotron, I swear to never ever use an ISP's address as my primary contact to spare myself the trouble of having to do address changes whenever I change ISP.

I second bj's recommendation to avoid doing that. Get the cheapest plan that will allow you to keep your old address for the transition period while you get all your stuff moved so you will never have to worry about it again once it is done.
jyeung
inspiration reality
Premium Member
join:2004-03-30
North York, ON

jyeung

Premium Member

Wow - Bell doesn't let you keep email addresses?

When I was with AT&T, they let you keep your email even after you cancel with them, although it gets transitioned to an ad-supported version of Yahoo Webmail.

- Jason
xtachx
join:2005-11-19
canada

xtachx

said by jyeung:

Wow - Bell doesn't let you keep email addresses?

When I was with AT&T, they let you keep your email even after you cancel with them, although it gets transitioned to an ad-supported version of Yahoo Webmail.

- Jason

Because ATT / SBC teamed up with yahoo to provide the DSL. However the domain owner (the @bell.ca part) is owned by the isp. They dont have to provide you service if you switch (and they wont most of the time). Its not like number porting.

I suggest you switch to gmail.

teletone
Toronto, On

teletone

thanks for all the responses everyone. i guess the big decision that's left is gmail or hotmail? or other?

and what happened to the undelivered message response? bounce notification? do gmail or hotmail offer it? i noticed it's been missing from my @sympatico hotmail account. can you get it with the premium pay service?

another thing i've noticed with my @sympatico hotmail account VS. a free hotmail account is the QOS. the free account i have seems to have more errors when trying to receive mail in outlook express.

MrNobody
@rogers.com

MrNobody

Anon

My current recommendation is to go with gmail. Just because it's reasonably versatile and can be linked to various POP accounts. That @sympatico.ca address you're trying to hang onto is probably more trouble than it's worth. I understand the legacy need for consistency, but that's the selling point also for NOT changing providers. It's actually some work to isolate your identity from the provider of the service and this is the inertia that they count on. Do yourself a favour and move or abandon that legacy.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to teletone

Premium Member

to teletone
said by teletone:

my sympatico email address is handled by hotmail anyway. what does it have to do will bell? can't i keep it? is there some sort of payable upgrade for hotmail, like a yearly premium fee, so i can keep the @sympatico.ca address without bell?

I chose to keep an old email box from an Indie ISP, and they only wanted $5 per month to maintain it, with I think 1 hour of dialup access per month.

The access is unimportant as I reach it thru my TSI DSL anyway, as a webmail box, or thru my email app.

You should talk to a couple of Bell reps if you really would rather hang on to it.

If you don't like their terms, you can still see about one of the other choices mentioned above (I prefer Yahoo, and also have had 2 boxes with them for a long time).
xtachx
join:2005-11-19
canada

xtachx to teletone

to teletone
said by teletone:

thanks for all the responses everyone. i guess the big decision that's left is gmail or hotmail? or other?

and what happened to the undelivered message response? bounce notification? do gmail or hotmail offer it? i noticed it's been missing from my @sympatico hotmail account. can you get it with the premium pay service?

another thing i've noticed with my @sympatico hotmail account VS. a free hotmail account is the QOS. the free account i have seems to have more errors when trying to receive mail in outlook express.

Undelivered msg / bounce - yes, both gmail and hotmail offers it.

I use both gmail and yahoo - i dont get much errors. My yahoo mail account is full of spam since yahoo's spam filter is whack. GMail has an effective filter.

I recommend GMail. (I use GMail since 2004 - in face GMail and Google calendar made me switch to android )
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino

said by xtachx:

I recommend GMail. (I use GMail since 2004 - in face GMail and Google calendar made me switch to android )

Chances of keeping your old ISP addy, no matter who it is, approaches zero. It most often is part of your account. Just like you can't keep the addy of your last house or apartment.

I went through the woes of e-mail addresses several years ago when I was dropping my old ISP. About 8 months before canceling the old ISP, got a gmail address. Wasn't as nice as the one I had with the old ISP, but it is mine for as long as I wish, no matter which ISP I'm with.

Never thought of trying this, but you could try youraddy.youroldISP@gmail.com if your addy has significance.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to teletone

Mod

to teletone
I'd avoid Hotmail.

Somehow, my hotmail account has been hacked twice in the last few months, but this time, Hotmail did something about it ... they froze the account. I can't get them to release it because I can't provide sufficient proof to them that I'm the owner.

Gmail let's you "POP" your messages off like a conventional email service at least. I use a web hosting service for my mail and couldn't be more satisfied.

teletone
Toronto, On

teletone

this time, i want to do it right the first time.

i've been thinking about google & webhosting service. both give me some concerns though.

when your google POP mail gets downloaded to your machine and also after you send email, does it delete the copy on the server?

as for webhosting, how do you know if a registrar/hosting company can be trusted?
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino

You can set the options to delete the mail from the gmail.com server once the d/l is complete or keep it on the server and manually delete it afterwards, depending on your desires.
lrafarl
join:2007-09-14
North York, ON

lrafarl to teletone

to teletone
gmail +1

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to teletone

Premium Member

to teletone
I like Yahoo Mail.

They've been doing it longest, and no down time in over 10 years, not that I have noticed.

But it IS technologically possible for Bell to let you keep what you have if you wish.

The REAL question is one of policies and politics, and only asking THEM will answer THAT.

Anyone can operate just a Mail server for you, and that would essentially be all that you were asking them to do.
lrafarl
join:2007-09-14
North York, ON

lrafarl to teletone

to teletone
Also forgot to mention. Gmail has this great import option when you switch email to gmail. My mom did it in no time and she's like got no computer skills at all. All it will do is import all your contacts and emails from your bell account.
Give it a try! ITS FREE!

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to teletone

Premium Member

to teletone
BTW, did Google recover those 1000's of Gmail accounts which they lost a few days ago ?
Ssid Silver
join:2010-11-04

Ssid Silver to teletone

to teletone
Gmail is nice for the minimalist interface vs hotmail, it is a bit creepy to see the ads relating to your 'private' message contents though. Not that other 'free' webmail services are necessarily better for privacy, they all have to cover costs somehow. Some webmail services claim to offer better privacy (e.g. hushmail) but I don't have experience with them personally.

There must be tons of users who stick to an ISP for the email address, not to generalize too much but they tend to be older users in my experience. ISP emails can be handy for e.g. signing up for certain sites that don't allow 'free' addresses, but if you have been using one for general purposes it really is pretty painless to send out a message to all your contacts that you are switching to a new address.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to teletone

Mod

to teletone
I don't trust any big corporation. The webhosting company I use has their own suite at 151 Front. Mailing their support gets a reply from one of the owners. Previously I dealt with several hosting companies who were resellers for cheapo services in the US ... so when things went wrong, it would take days to repair. There are some discount Canadian companies too who are exceptionally difficult to deal with ... but no more than hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc.

bellusage
@rogers.com

bellusage to teletone

Anon

to teletone
drop to the cheapest dial up account for a month forward your mail to the new address then cancel after the month and stop giving bell money

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by bellusage :

drop to the cheapest dial up account for a month forward your mail to the new address then cancel after the month and stop giving bell money.

Well YES !

Disclaimer : My earlier answers were issued with a 'Hate BHell filter' temporarily installed into my brain.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

I don't trust any big corporation. The webhosting company I use has their own suite at 151 Front. Mailing their support gets a reply from one of the owners. Previously I dealt with several hosting companies who were resellers for cheapo services in the US ... so when things went wrong, it would take days to repair. There are some discount Canadian companies too who are exceptionally difficult to deal with ... but no more than hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc.

sbrook, for your domain and hosting, how much do you pay a year/month for the service?

Mine has their hosting facilities in Vancouver, and I think in the now almost 5 years that I've had their service, I've had an email outage for twice, for a total of about 30 minutes each, 1 hour over 5 years is pretty good, my renewal is coming up, and including everything is $52.42/year including taxes...so $4/month is piece of mind enough for me.

They're canadian, so I'm happy, I was happier when I didn't have to pay PST, but those greedy people make me pay it now *grumble* lol.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

I pay more than that, but then I also host a number of domains, a couple with fairly heavy traffic, so I can't actually price out the cost of email but I'm satisfied for now.

Before hosting the domains, my cost was about $8 per month for the email.

I did have facilities too in Vancouver through a colo service, but the service and the colo provider got into mega billing arguments and seized the systems ... so I had to change!

For now, though I'm happy ... and considering it's at 151 with links through Torix, for me on Rogers with its link to Torix, it's just like having super service right on Rogers network!
shepd
join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON

shepd to teletone

to teletone
If you don't want to end up in this problem again, buy domain ($10 or less a year), and get email service setup for that domain (Between free if you can get google to host it to less than $5 a month if you have to pay).

As long as you keep paying the $10 (or less... if you buy a crappy domain) a year for the domain, you can never lose your email address.

teletone
Toronto, On

teletone

i've been trying out gmail, both POP3 & IMAP. the thing i don't like about IMAP is if emails are moved or deleted in the gmail web interface, they are also affected in outlook express. with POP3, deleting in the gmail web interface doesn't affect mail stored in outlook express. though outlook express downloaded mail doesn't stay in the inbox on the gmail website, it moves the the gmail website's deleted folder & the sent mail stays in gmail's sent folder.

is there any way for no emails to remain in any folders on the gmail website when i use my outlook express? i'd like for my sent & received messages to be stored in outlook express on my end but for the web interface of gmail, no copies. i understand that emails must stay in gmail until they're downloaded by outlook express.