Search similar:

uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

[FireFox] How to add Scroogle context menu search?

I use Scroogle from the address bar and got rid of the search bar. (How come when I deleted every engine that was in that search bar drop down that did not remove them from "browser.search.order")?

When I highlight a term on a web page, and right click on it, the context menu only has Google as a search engine. How do I add Scroogle? On Opera, with the same setup, Scroogle is the search engine offered on right click. I am not sure why it isn't on Fx since I have no other search engine.

I figured out, just now, how to get "Search Scroogle" on the context menu. I changed "browser.search.default engine name;Google" to "Scroogle". That put Scroogle instead of Google on the context menu. However, that ALSO made Google the search engine used from the address bar instead of Scroogle. Strange and UGH.

So, I guess I need a way to ADD Scroogle to the right click context menu rather than replacing Google on that menu with Scroogle. That way I can just choose Scroogle each time and I will still have Scroogle search from the address bar. So, how do I do this?

Also, is there a way to add Wikipedia and dictionary of choice to the right click context menu like Opera has?

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc

Premium Member

I've added search engines from »mycroft.mozdev.org/searc ··· nes.html and the selected site in the search engine list becomes the one offered in the right-click.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I don't use the SEARCH BAR. I got rid of it. I search from the ADDRESS BAR only. The link you gave adds the engine to the SEARCH BAR. I already have Scroogle added there and ALL OTHER ENGINES DELETED. But I got rid of the search bar. It is redundant and unneeded. So, your solution won't work for me.

It is so simple to do in Opera. I don't see why Fx makes it a huge deal to search from the address bar and seems to make it very difficult to add the default address bar search engine to the right click context menu. I MISS having tons of Options/Preferences. Opera has spoiled me in that regard. Fx appears so simplistic after using Opera for quite awhile.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Try this:
»addons.mozilla.org/en-us ··· -search/

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
How about this:
»www.dkszone.net/how-to-c ··· -firefox
midway down in page.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

chachazz to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

It is so simple to do in Opera. I don't see why Fx makes it a huge deal to search from the address bar and seems to make it very difficult to add the default address bar search engine to the right click context menu. I MISS having tons of Options/Preferences. Opera has spoiled me in that regard. Fx appears so simplistic after using Opera for quite awhile.

Try this: »www.opera.com/browser/
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
Thanks. That works GREAT. I had to switch back to the default theme though for a bit because Scroogle SSL is installed in the Search Bar Search engines and I just want regular Scroogle so Proxo will filter out the highlighted colors that I find distracting rather than helpful. So, I had to reinstall the search bar so I could install plain Scroogle search engine.
Mele20

Mele20 to DataDoc

Premium Member

to DataDoc
I already had changed that keyword.url but that is a good page to bookmark as a reference.

I used your link earlier in this thread to add plain Scroogle search engine to the list of search engines so I now have both Scroogle and Scroogle SSL to choose from. It still doesn't make much sense to me why I need to switch to the default theme and then re-add the search bar to Fx so that I can then add a search engine to be used only from the address bar or from the context menu. That seems a bit odd but that is what I finally had to do, so your link way up in this thread turned out to be very helpful. It is a very comprehensive listing of search engines.
Mele20

1 edit

Mele20 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
said by chachazz:

Try this: »www.opera.com/browser/

Not sure why it bothers you so much but I use BOTH browsers. Lots of folks use more than one browser. I also use Iron but not very much. I think a LOT of users would just love to be able to take what they feel are the best things about two browsers (or three) and combine them into their own "perfect" browser!

edit: I said yesterday in Opera forums that I wished Opera 11 had the favicon in the address bar and the bolding of the text like Fx4 so, never fear, I am not just complaining about Fx!!!

growup
@frontiernet.net

growup to Mele20

Anon

to Mele20
Click for full size
Why do you feel you need to act like a child yelling? Do you actually think people will want to help you if you act like this? Please grow up, or remove yourself from the internet if you feel you must act like this.

I was able to do what you wanted quite easily, you just keep screwing it up. I added the search, made it the default using the mouse using the search bar, and it made it the context menu search.