All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
artisticcheese0
join:2004-11-09
The Colony, TX

artisticcheese0

How to find out which telco owns phone number?

Hello,

Is there a way to find out which telco owns a phone number? Like it's possible to find which ISP owns IP address.

Greg
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

For US numbers, »tnid.us/ (not completely reliable but usually correct).

If the number hasn't been ported, »www.telcodata.us/search- ··· e-detail (IMO completely dependable)
artisticcheese0
join:2004-11-09
The Colony, TX

artisticcheese0

Thanks. Can not find anything for (469) 456-XXXX on any of those.
Stewart

Stewart

This is a tough one. »www.localcallingguide.co ··· &npa=469 doesn't show it either. Perhaps you have the number wrong, it's bogus (e.g. from a spoofed caller ID), or it's a newly assigned prefix.

Can you reach someone at the number?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

The current official data from NANPA show that this combination of area code and exchange is not in use.

»www.nanpa.com/nas/public ··· eryModel

(Look under Texas).

ajhaji
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Etobicoke, ON

ajhaji

Premium Member

Is there any way to know who owns a telephone number that HAS been ported? I ported my Bell Canada landline to VoIP.ms a year ago and it still shows as "Bell Canada" on the various lookup tools.
Stewart

Stewart

said by ajhaji:

Is there any way to know who owns a telephone number that HAS been ported?

I'm not aware of a free one for Canada -- tnid.us works fairly well for the US.

CWU has a lookup that is highly regarded. At $0.0003 per query, that's almost free, though of course you still need a funded account. »www.callwithus.com/API#lrn .
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to ajhaji

Premium Member

to ajhaji
said by ajhaji:

Is there any way to know who owns a telephone number that HAS been ported? I ported my Bell Canada landline to VoIP.ms a year ago and it still shows as "Bell Canada" on the various lookup tools.

1) VoIP.MS is your provider. But if you want to know who the CLEC is, one way is to sign up with Call With Us (CWU) and do a North American Number Lookup (small fee).

2) If you want, you can IM me the number and I'll look it up for you.

3) But that's a SEPARATE issue from outbound Caller ID name (CNAM). If you are in Canada and calling to Canadians, your outbound CNAM should generally match your Voip.MS account (unlike the USA CNAM procedures). But if you are having CNAM issues you can also ask Voip.MS to help you with LIDB population.

4) But if you are NOT talking about CNAM, but rather about how you appear with online lookups such as »www.whitepages.ca/ then YOU can handle that yourself. Just go to HELP and follow the directions.

5) However, for »www.canada411.ca/ you need to contact Voip.MS to see if they can help.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

5) However, for »www.canada411.ca/ you need to contact Voip.MS to see if they can help.

Indeed. To be listed on this site you must have your provider set up a "directory listing."
trog
join:2001-03-25
Scarborough, ON

trog

With voip.ms there is a one time charge of $4.50 for the listing. I had opened a support ticket and learnt that through the response.

ajhaji
Premium Member
Etobicoke, ON

ajhaji to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Thanks for the information. I signed up for a CallWithUs account and put $5 on it. That should be more than enough to look up all the numbers I need to.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

When using the CWU North American Number Lookup, be sure to start it with a "1".

Also with CWU, to keep the account from being made dormant, you need to make one paid call every 3 months. I don't know if doing a number lookup qualifies or not for this purpose.

ajhaji
Premium Member
Etobicoke, ON

ajhaji

Premium Member

Ah, well, I guess I can call myself once every 3 months to keep the account alive.

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
If the account becomes inactive due to inactivity, what happens with the remaining balance?