Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

jchambers28

Premium Member

[AR] cox enforcing caps in arkansdas and kansas

Click for full size
Cox will be enforcing caps in Arkansas And Kansas Sept 15
if you go over the caps 3 times in 6 months they will suspend your account After that you will have 3 choices:

1. Tell them you are sorry I did not know cox had caps.
2 Pay more money for a higher tier of service
3 switch to another provider.

If I have a problem I will be doing 1 and 3
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 edit

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Who is the other provider in your area with no caps you have knowledge of? We have AT&T and Cox. There is no way to avoid the upcoming caps.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

2 edits

jchambers28

Premium Member

century link or wind stream. Neither have caps and no plans for them. I live in a apartment Now where century link services I am in the process of finding me a house where Windstream services. I need to hurry up before the housing market Improves. I find renting Is cheaper than owning a house.

azinator
CS is the DEVIL
Premium Member
join:2000-08-12
Texarkana, TX

azinator to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
eeeekkkkk....guess i need to keep an eye on this....lol

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

3 edits

jchambers28

Premium Member

I think the whole cap thing is so cox can get more money out of the customer. It's never in the customers best interest. I saw this coming from a distance so I called cox. Cox knows most people don't have choices for internet services so lets caps them and charge more money. I have some older friends that are not happy with cox move toward caps. They all subscribe to starter Internet. And plan to jump ship. And move to Centurylink and Winstream with no caps.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

If the ISP is xDSL or hybrid fiber-coax based I see caps coming no matter who they are. Once the big companies figure out how to measure usage, inform customers of usage and charge for additional buckets of bytes, the little guys are sure to follow. I think the only ISPs to not do this will be those that are fully FTTH based and boring in the service they offer. We, The Little FTTH ISP, took a GPON line, split it 96 ways, and each of you get 10Mbps symmetrical. Use it all you want. No, there are no faster tiers. No, there are no slower tiers. Yes overhead has been taken into account as 1.244 Gbps/96= 13 Mbps. Yes, it costs 39.99 per month, 10 e-mail boxes included.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
said by jchambers28:

I think the whole cap thing is so cox can get more money out of the customer.

More money? NO.
Protecting overpriced VIDEO, YES!
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

This is a soft cap.. the metered toolbar is to ensure that you are aware of what your using per month. Where's the news that cox will be having hard caps in sept 15th? This has been going on for almost a year.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Well this post, »[GA] Cox enforcing data cap in Middle Georgia, says they are shutting down users today in GA for a 101.5% usage, and making them call in to get restored.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28

Premium Member

Click for full size
It Looks like they got it working a little early. It's cap city now.
I am thinking about spending $5 more a month and get a business account it's 15 MBPS service with no caps.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
$5 more? What tier do you have now?

I noticed they just lit us up with 8 channel bonding(used to be 4) and 64QAM upstream modulation now. What's the point of more speed? So we can blow through our caps faster!

I've got no choices here except for AT&T which also has caps. Only hope is some fiber from another company in talks about doing fiber to the home in this area to compete with Cox and AT&T Uverse. But thats probably years out. I could look at a WISP that's here but I bet they are expensive and more for business use here.

Going to look at if there's anything to do a mesh network with multiple connections to share the caps between 4 or 5 homes that have internet already there. And no I'm not talking about sharing internet to someone that doesn't pay a bill so don't jump on that idea of it being stealing.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

premier Internet.

N10Cities
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Asus RT-AC87

1 edit

N10Cities to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
I live in Lavaca, and if it gets bad enough I guess I could go to Pinnacle and FTTH Internet.

I stayed with Cox because their data speeds are more consistent. So far, not doing too bad. Am on Premier and have only used 17 GB out of 250 for the month. The big spike on the 21st of August was due to me uploading photos to the new 50 GB backup service Cox now has for free! I even stream audio almost 24/7 via Shoutcast and still am not using that much.

Also have a Netflix acct and stream quite a bit...

Unless you are seeding and Dl'ing a lot of 'linux ISOs' via torrents, you will probably be OK..

Who knows, maybe Pinnacle is better now. Been 3 years since I had them last...

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

I am west of you in Alma. Thanks for reminding me I need to move the files from media store and share as well.

N10Cities
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Asus RT-AC87

N10Cities

Premium Member

You're almost right across the river from me, actually....if I didn't have to go back to Van Buren to get across the river, I could get to Alma in about 5 minutes... LOL

Oh yea! I can't remember the drop dead date, but they will nuke the data if it is still out there.

Funny, they used to have the 25 GB store and share for $2.50 a month, now they have 50 GB for free. At least the backup client works a lot better...
said by jchambers28:

I am west of you in Alma. Thanks for reminding me I need to move the files from media store and share as well.

voidster
join:2009-02-13
Bentonville, AR

1 edit

voidster to jchambers28

to jchambers28
WHAT THE @#$@#$@#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now...wouldnt a normal company with normal working human beings at least send out a LETTER, an EMAIL about this change of plans? Mine isnt even listed ast september 15th , it apparently started in april! (the tracking, not enforcement.)

This changes a TON of stuff! HD videos? Audio streaming, gaming all this stuff that I do on a constant basis now i have to worry about a cap as well??

its just another way of cox trying to get more money out of people. Now i have to watch what i do like a hawk, even using basic things like uploading Youtube vids, all my freelance artwork (which easily hits 20 gig or more every month). Let me guess the PC response is, spend more money. Great. Terrific. Thanks for slapping your users in the face cox, you should have sent out an email. Oh wait, you dont do that, it might help someone.

Thats the final straw. Ive got to find someone else. Maybe i can find an ISP that has the man parts necessary to TELL me when policy's change instead of letting me run into a invisible brick wall then say "oh yea, we put that in yesterday..sorry..oh ya gotta pay more to get past it. "

ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki to jchambers28

to jchambers28
Yeah, I have noticed that Cox was planned to put the data allowance tab in it of an user account in Kansas here.

first of all, I have no issues as long as i am under 250GB usage average in all of down and up traffics that I am using the Networx app to containuous the monitoring my network incoming and outcoming a traffics on my premier tier here.
voidster
Bentonville, AR

voidster to jchambers28

to jchambers28
apologies for the anger, (to the community, not cox). i hate it when they pull massive changes and dont even mention a thing. IM going seriously check into AT&T. At least with them i wouldnt have to pay for basic cable, that i never use.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

apologies excepted.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki to voidster

to voidster
AT&T have cap also too. if you go over the cap then they will cut you off for sure.
voidster
Bentonville, AR

voidster

yes ikyuaoki but i dont have to pay for basic *censord* cable that i never use. Ive also heard they actually tell people when there are major changes coming up.

whatever.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

If you want to stay with cable still, You can obtain the Networx app for free to monitoring your all of data traffic down and up containuous to keep you stay out of the trouble. also use wired between your cable modem and your computer only, I recommended no wireless router carried out to share with anyone else.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

I am going to blow threw it this month and see what happens I am wondering if I were to get a warning letter.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

Well, You'd going to be fall into this consequence issues if you've go over the cap limits, NOT me, don't blame me if you go over the cap limits of consequences. I am more responsible man.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to davidhoffman

MVM

to davidhoffman
I suspect dvd536 See Profile has it nailed. I've got ADSL2+ with no caps; nor any in the foreseeable, per the CEO. They differ from AT&T in that they do not have a direct video offering. I am wondering if that will change when they get approval for video (they have filed for it from the state regulatory agency). The companies in the video delivery business have to satisfy their Hollywood Masters above all.
NormanS

NormanS to ikyuaoki

MVM

to ikyuaoki
said by ikyuaoki:

AT&T have cap also too. if you go over the cap then they will cut you off for sure.

Probably not. Unless you don't pay. Their caps are 150 GB for ADSL service, and 250 GB for U-verse (probably both VDSL and ADSL2+). Their plan for exceeding caps is to bill the customer on the third month going over; at the rate of $10 per 50 GB over. Best guess seems to be fractional usage will be billed: I.e., on 50.0 GB over, $10 extra on the bill, on 50.5 GB over, $20 extra on the bill.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

Best guess seems to be fractional usage will be billed: I.e., on 50.0 GB over, $10 extra on the bill, on 50.5 GB over, $20 extra on the bill.

Sounds like the AT&T i know. they're the "rogers of america"

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

BryanInPHX to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
I just noticed Cox has posted Data Usage Allowances FAQs, when I looked a few days ago there was nothing published yet.

»ww2.cox.com/residential/ ··· 0000000}
quote:
What happens if I go over my monthly data usage allowed by Cox?
Cox notifies customers if they exceed their data usage allowance -- and works with them proactively to resolve the problem. In some cases, customers do not even know they are exceeding the allowance because their computers are infected with a virus that is spewing spam or otherwise consuming data. In others, customers choose to reduce their data consumption or select a different Cox High Speed Internet package that better fits their needs.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28

Premium Member

Dear Cox High Speed Internet Customer,

We'd like to take this opportunity to announce the availability of the Data Usage Meter. This new feature provides an easy way to check monthly household high-speed Internet data usage at any time. Monthly data usage is the amount of data that users send, receive, download or upload each month for movies and videos, photos, web surfing, email, gaming, and other files.

Each of our packages has a specific data usage amount. The amount depends on your Cox High Speed Internet package and corresponds to the speeds provided with the package. Our speediest package provides the highest usage amount. You are currently subscribed to the Premier Package which has a monthly data usage amount of 250 Gigabytes (GB). This is equivalent to streaming about 138 standard definition movies, or 83 high definition movies in a month*.

The vast majority of our customers do not exceed their usage amount in a month and Cox does not charge you an additional fee if you exceed it. However, if you find that you are exceeding the usage amount for your package, you should check for the following potential causes:

An unsecured wireless home network. If your wireless router does not have security enabled, others outside your home may be using your Internet service. Cox provides a free tool to test the security of your home network. The Home Network Security Check can be accessed by logging into your account via myaccount.cox.net which will place you into Internet Tools. From there, simply select the Home Network tab

A computer virus. If your computer is infected with a virus, it may be transmitting large amounts of data without your knowledge. Cox strongly advocates Internet safety and security. That's why we offer all of our High Speed Internet customers free security software that will help protect your computers. Cox Security Suite Powered by McAfee® will shield you from many viruses, spam, phishing and spyware. It even comes with parental controls.

To download your copy in just a few minutes, simply visit myaccount.cox.net and select the Security Suite tab in Internet Tools.

If after checking for these problems you find that you are still exceeding the usage amount, you may want to consider upgrading to another package that more closely matches your use of the service. Cox's top High Speed Internet package includes 400 GB per month.

To view your current data usage, follow these easy steps:
1. Visit myaccount.cox.net
2. Sign in with your primary Cox username and password
3. Select the "Data Usage Allowance" tab on the left bar

The Data Usage Meter shows daily and monthly usage for your account starting with the beginning of your billing period. The monthly view shows the usage by month determined by the date of the end of your billing period. Over time, you will be able to see your household usage over the previous 12 months. The Data Usage Meter is only available to primary account users and secondary user accounts with billing access.

If you would like to learn more about the Data Usage Meter and how it works, please click here. To view the Cox High Speed Internet Acceptable Use Policy please visit.

You can also contact your local Cox customer service center for more information. Visit to find your local Cox contact number.

Thank you for choosing Cox

* Based on 1.8 GB for a Standard Definition Movie, 3 GB for a High Definition Movie.

Any one get one of these.

The Beer
I Love It When A Plan Comes Together
Premium Member
join:2001-07-24
Lincoln, NE

The Beer

Premium Member

Yea I just got the email from Cox Omaha, NE