uniqs
cissado
Premium Member
join:2008-01-14
Clifton, NJ

cissado

Premium Member

Is there any way to clean a dryer vent without moving the dr

Moving the DR. That's it! jk Ran out of space in the title bar.

If I have to move the dryer, I will, but I'd rather not because it's fit tightly in an enclosed, built-in space.

It's a front load Whirlpool duet. It has the 1 inch wide screen that pulls straight up from the front of the machine at the bottom of the door to clean the lint. The hose is flexible metal and is about 10-12 ft. long.

Can I vacuum it from the outside through the hose with some kind of extension on a shop vac or regular vac? Some type of snake? I'd love to stick a snake of some kind into it from the dryer side, but don't want to break anything in the dryer.

Can I used compressed air from inside the dyer-out?

Actually, after reading this, I may want to just move the damn thing. lol. Any suggestions?

mudturtle74
join:2007-06-29
Killen, AL

mudturtle74

I just bought a vent cleaning kit at Lowe's. It worked pretty good. Link:
»www.lowes.com/pd_37653-5 ··· 1&rpp=24

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to cissado

Premium Member

to cissado
I use my leaf blower inside the dryer and then use my vaccum on the vent outside!

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to cissado

MVM

to cissado
I have that lowes kit and it's really good. You can go outside and feed the thing in from outside while running the dryer and it should do a pretty good job.
cissado
Premium Member
Clifton, NJ

cissado to mudturtle74

Premium Member

to mudturtle74
said by mudturtle74:

Thanks for the replies, but how would this work if it is only 36-42" long? I guess I could try the leaf blower and brush combo option.

I was originally thinking of getting a pull string from one end to the other and pulling one of these over sized brushes through the whole length of the 10-12ft. pipe.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

1 recommendation

nunya to cissado

MVM

to cissado
You have to move the dryer. Otherwise, your not going to do much good.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

My son-in-law just replaced the heating element on a Whirlpool Duo stacked. He went online and performed the whole job from the front including the lint plug that caused the element to burn out. I told him to be on call since I had a duo also stacked.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to cissado

Premium Member

to cissado
said by cissado:

said by mudturtle74:

Thanks for the replies, but how would this work if it is only 36-42" long? I guess I could try the leaf blower and brush combo option.

I was originally thinking of getting a pull string from one end to the other and pulling one of these over sized brushes through the whole length of the 10-12ft. pipe.

I have the same kit. Bought it recently from Amazon.com ($23.18 and eligbile for free shipping if you buy something else from Amazon to put that order orver $25) and used it two weekends ago. Worked great. I did move my dryer out from the wall, unhooked the flexible duct from the back of the dryer that goes to the wall, had a helper hold my electric leaf blower into that duct. Then I went outside and used the brush and drill to feed inward. Worked great. Lots of lint extracted.

Then I took the electric leaf blower and blew inside the dryer through the opening that the lint takes toward the exit at the back of the dryer and got additional lint from there. Then put everything back together.

mudturtle74
join:2007-06-29
Killen, AL

mudturtle74 to cissado

to cissado
That kit comes with 4 sections of 3' rod. You screw them together as you need them further into your vent. So, you have 12' of rod total, and if you need more, they sell more sections separately.
cissado
Premium Member
Clifton, NJ

cissado

Premium Member

said by mudturtle74:

That kit comes with 4 sections of 3' rod. You screw them together as you need them further into your vent. So, you have 12' of rod total, and if you need more, they sell more sections separately.

Oh, OK. Great. Thanks everyone. I think I'll try it first with that kit and go from there.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba to cissado

MVM

to cissado
said by cissado:

after reading this, I may want to just move the damn thing. lol. Any suggestions?

Just move the damn thing, anyway else would be half ass and clogged dryer vents are fires waiting to happen.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to cissado

MVM

to cissado
said by cissado:

I may want to just move the damn thing. lol. Any suggestions?

How else will you be able to retrieve all the clothing that has fallen behind the washer and dryer since the last time you cleaned it unless you move it out of the way.

Plus you may find out, much to your surprise, that a mouse decided the vent right at the dryer the dryer was a great place to have a family.

/tom

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro to The Pig

Premium Member

to The Pig
Leaf blower lol that reminds me of Tim Allen.

benecewicz
Premium Member
join:2005-04-08
Parkville, MD

benecewicz to cissado

Premium Member

to cissado
I recently replace the heating element in my dryer and was absolutely shocked at how much lint/crap was built up back in there. I would think the best option would be to pull it out and do a thorough cleaning/vacuuming that way.
cissado
Premium Member
Clifton, NJ

cissado

Premium Member

Lol, OK, you guys win. I'll pull the darn thing out and clean it that way. I needed the push in that direction, I guess. thanks!

I'll let you know how it went. I still need that brush kit though.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to mudturtle74

Premium Member

to mudturtle74
said by mudturtle74:

Everyone, please forgive me if I am hijacking this thread. I have question on this lint cleaner. I haven't cleaned the dryer since I moved in my house in 2007 and would like to know if this can be used for a vent that goes through the roof.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I have this one and it works great on the roof. Just run the dryer on the fluff or low heat setting and work the brush from the roof. Plumes of lint and the brush will easily follow the vent all of the way to the dryer.

»www.ebay.com/itm/25-FEET ··· 14ce02fb
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to cissado

to cissado
said by cissado:

Moving the DR. That's it! jk Ran out of space in the title bar.

If I have to move the dryer, I will, but I'd rather not because it's fit tightly in an enclosed, built-in space.

Take off the front panel, might be alot more work than just pulling it out. Youtube up some videos. I suggest just dragging it out. Use a hand truck to lift 2 of the stands off the ground and get 1/2 the load onto the hand truck's wheels. You could also just coat the floor in oil or dry handbar soap to reduce friction then drag it. Wipe up the oil so it doesn't make a flammable situation under the dryer when you push it back . If you plan on pulling it out often, put the dryer on 3/4 ply and bolt it to the 3/4 ply and screw some castor wheels to bottom side of the 3/4 ply. Might have a portable space heater now if you have an electric dryer. One person I know heats their, umm, I can't say home, shack is a better word, with a portable electric dryer, no clothes inside. Dryer's cord is 10/3 romex. Code violations galore.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

I have this one and it works great on the roof. Just run the dryer on the fluff or low heat setting and work the brush from the roof. Plumes of lint and the brush will easily follow the vent all of the way to the dryer.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Camaro

Premium Member

to Camaro
said by Camaro:

Leaf blower lol that reminds me of Tim Allen.

*grunt grunt grunt* MORE POWER!

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

2 edits

jabarnut to cissado

Premium Member

to cissado
Fwiw, I read recently in the March issue of consumer reports that the two home appliances responsible for the most fires are Ranges and Clothes Dryers. Ranges for the obvious reasons (left unattended, grease buildup, and automatic cleaning controls and timers.
And for sure, the lint buildup in Dryers.
So it's really good you're cleaning it out. I think it's something many people don't even think about much. Heck, I've seen people who rarely even clean the lint trap!
For that reason, it's hard for me to see a Dryer in someones house without checking the lint trap. Heh...just a weird habit I've developed over the years.
The duct material is important too. I remember years ago many people used that cheap soft white plastic stuff. Pretty much against code now, if you can even buy it. (That stuff was the absolute worst).
I've seen some dryer hookups in my day that have horrified me.
Some of the more rigid flexible 'accordion' type metal stuff is better, but still not great because it can sag and allow for more lint buildup.
The best of all is a rigid solid metal duct, with as few elbows as possible....and yeah, clean them out once in a while.