uniqs

markymark137
Premium Member
join:2003-02-01
Appleton, WI

markymark137

Premium Member

Old Magic Jack to Magic Jack Plus???

I renewed my old magic jack a few months ago. I want to upgrade to plus, so I can plug right into my modem w/o the PC application running all the time. How do I upgrade and keep my same magic jack phone number?

TIA

mm:)

bitstopjoe
join:2009-08-02
Pen Argyl, PA

bitstopjoe

When you plug the Plus into your PC and go through the registration you have the option to keep your old MJ number. After that you can then plug it into your router.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

1 edit

BlueMist

What MJ does not seem to tell customers (at least not to my knowledge) is that they do not transfer any left over account activation time from your old MJ account to your new MJ+ box.

If that policy has publicly changed I'd be glad to see a MJ web site link to where that fact is stated.
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino

Yes they do.

»magicjack.com/faq/

Type in the question:
Can I transfer my existing magicJack years to magicJack PLUS?

And the answer is "no".

bitstopjoe
join:2009-08-02
Pen Argyl, PA

bitstopjoe to BlueMist

to BlueMist
Nope it has not changed, all one can do is use both devices ( old MJ and new Plus) with the same number but with different expiration times. So the time isn't lost, per se. Not the best solution by far, but all one can do until MJ comes to their senses ( HA, I crack myself up sometimes) and allows one to transfer their remaining time to the Plus.
vintagewino
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino

Guess the best thing is to let your old MJ account almost expire before switching its # to the MJ+, since they don't allow the old MJ account remaining time to be moved to the new unit.

Even though both units likely have different account #s, but share the same phone #, I'll bet you cannot use both devices simultaneously (kids at home with the MJ+, you on the laptop on the road with the old MJ).

I think that's where BlueMist was pointing towards.

webtechy
join:2002-02-28
Fremont, CA

1 recommendation

webtechy to markymark137

to markymark137
Click for full size
There is an email that I received just today to original magicjack customers being sent out that says there is a 48-hour sale for the magicjack plus like the one they already had back in Dec 2011.

However, this one says that you can now choose to transfer all of your years from your original/old magicjack to a new magicjack plus account.

MagicalPig
join:2008-07-25

MagicalPig

Got the same email. Looks like I will be pulling the trigger and xfer my time over. One question is - will I get the additional "free" year added to my account when I purchase the MJ+ and xfer my remaining time?

PS - Android app out in June (yay)
netnow66
join:2012-06-02

netnow66 to markymark137

to markymark137
They were so adamant about NOT letting us transfer our old MagicJack account time to a new Plus account originally. But, for convenience sake, I went ahead and got the Plus, leaving behind at least a couple of years of old MagicJack time.

So, us early adopters are gettin' ripped yet again. In some situations, I expect it but I didn't seeing it coming here.

Yes, I contacted their "live person" support (the only way I've ever found of getting in touch with them) and the person was only able to give a stock response (as usual), this time being something along the lines of "this offer is only good for those who have not upgraded to MagicJack Plus."

Dan Borislow. CEO magicJack, Inventor and Founder, is the name that appears at the end of the new email.

Thanks for nothing, Danny boy...
vintagewino
Grimsby, ON

3 edits

vintagewino

Yeah, got the same email. But ... If you check in the faq's, the answer to the transfer is still "no".

Check the fine print - "offer available only through purchase through this page". Pretty vague on whether you get that extra year or not, if you transfer your # to the new unit bought elsewhere ...

Looks like the new unit comes with the year's use.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to markymark137

to markymark137
I got the same letter with the 48 hour offer.
That don't seem like much time to figure out what one should do.

In my case i am not going to keep using MJ, because everyday more numbers can not be called so i still need to have a real phone that can dial any number and not just some numbers.

Time to get a service that works correctly.

Not magic
@rr.com

Not magic to webtechy

Anon

to webtechy
I was looking at this "offer" and got into the order page to find no options to cancel, remove items or modify the order ONLY ADD more crap. I closed to page and received an email a few minutes later about my order "Important: Please reply to this email within one hour if you would like to modify the order below. You do not have to take any action if you do not want to make any changes." Pretty poor - I now hate Magic Jack and the "Magic Jerk" Dick Bore-us-low. How to sue for deceptive practices?
viafax999
join:2000-06-03
Westford, MA

viafax999

And what was on your order?
Mine had 2 MJ+ The one that I ordered for immediate payment and the one that they offer as a free trial. Still trying to work out how to get rid of the free trial one.

Bethybee
@comcast.net

Bethybee

Anon

I bought the deal offered in the e-mail the other day and my magicjack plus came today and is now installed and working. (I didn't have to add more time, or products, and it let me transfer over all my existing time, though it hasn't added a year, i guess it didn't come with an additional year? :-p) Happy so far, at least i can turn off the computer when i want to now and still make calls.

One question - what do you mean "everyday more numbers can not be called so i still need to have a real phone that can dial any number and not just some numbers." We've not run into that issue and now i'm worried! :-p

Devilish
@charter.com

Devilish

Anon

I also purchased a mj plus because the ad said we could transfer out existing service over to the plus unit. The ad states that the plus comes with a years worth of service. The terms of service does not state that we lose that year by transferring our old service. The ads do not state that we lose that year and the live person did not say that we lose that year. She only stated that once we transfer the service, we cannot transfer back to the original magicjack. There was a disturbing clause in the terms of service that I should point out
"YOU AND MAGICJACK, YMAX, AND VOCALTEC AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY, AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. "
Well, I'm asking any and all to spread the word about this to other mj users and future users. If we pay for something that is advertised we are entitled to that. It is wrong for them to pull something away without advanced proper disclosure. If this doesn't get rectified, I'll not continue with their service after my contract expires and I implore others to do same. Thank you.

tiked
@rr.com

tiked

Anon

just found this on wikipedia, while trying to find out where to reach this snake Dan Borislow.

thought some might be interested before getting sucked in.

"In 2009, Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum investigated a claim that Borislow falsely marketed the magicJack as having a free 30-day trial of the product. In reality, the customer must specifically cancel the trial prior to the 30-day mark, otherwise the credit card would be automatically billed. While Borislow maintained that his company's actions were not illegal, he reached a settlement on April 15, agreeing to pay the state of Florida $125,000 for the cost of the investigation. He said the company resolved over 500 complaints and added a disclaimer on the website clarifying the misconception"

grrr
Premium Member
join:2001-06-16
Toronto, ON

grrr to webtechy

Premium Member

to webtechy
said by webtechy:

There is an email that I received just today to original magicjack customers being sent out that says there is a 48-hour sale for the magicjack plus like the one they already had back in Dec 2011.

However, this one says that you can now choose to transfer all of your years from your original/old magicjack to a new magicjack plus account.

I got five of these 'offers' in my email. I have all my other email accounts forwarded to my Gmail account and I guess I used some of these addresses for my magicJack account at some point.

After receiving all of these wonderful 'offers', I put in an order.... actually about nine orders, because at the end of each transaction there was an error, so the order never went through to some degree, so I kept trying and then I got an email from my bank, "Fraud Alert!" Apparently, nine orders went through, even though I didn't get 'one' order to work. I had to call the bank to release my account and made sure that there were no orders on my account, and I know it's crazy, but I 'still' wanted the half price deal, so I got on 'dead' help line to see if I could rectify this situation and get my unit at half price. This 'person' asked me the same question three times, then she asked me another question three times and this just kept going around in circles. I kept asking for a supervisor, but she just asked me more questions in order to deflect. Excellent deflection. I deflected my cursor to the close chat button and that was that.

I know this is stupid, but I still want the new Plus unit. I like magicJack, the product, but magicJack the business practice and 'tech' support sucks. This new plus unit will be a great addition. Just plug it into my router and I'm good. I have two of the old units, one still working very well and the other one isn't being used at this time, but it's just a pain in the arse to keep a computer running for the phone and I've bought family who are going to school in the US one each so they can save money on calling home. I just hate dealing with tech support. The last two that I typed to barely seemed to speak, or understand English.

It looks like I'll be spending $70 at a local retailer, just do I don't have to deal with the circus at magicJack.