Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

phone.shaw.ca and secure.shaw.ca issues

I'm having sporadic trouble loading phone.shaw.ca and secure.shaw.ca. Sometimes it just sits there trying to load, and sometimes it says "We're sorry. There seems to be something wrong."

When I try to change settings on a phone number, I get "Let's try that again. Sorry! We're having some trouble finding your settings. Refresh the page and see if we can get things going."

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I believe both have been retired,

secure.shaw.ca has been redirecting to »my.shaw.ca/CustomerCentre for a while now.

phone.shaw.ca to the same, needing to select Manage Phone inside the Customer Portal.

With the redirect of secure.shaw.ca I thought they might stop it at some point, but it is not like it takes a lot of work to keep it forwarded.

Hope this helps.

-Posted from my phone.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Unfortunately, I still get the "Let's try that again..." message when I try to manage my phone.
Lesaonar
join:2000-07-25
Victoria, BC

Lesaonar to kevinds

to kevinds
said by kevinds:

phone.shaw.ca to the same, needing to select Manage Phone inside the Customer Portal.

Still works here and no redirect.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Weird. I still have the same issue, on multiple computers so I know it's not a caching issue. I'll call in on Monday.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Are you able to access »signon.shaw.ca ?

secure.shaw.ca definately doesn't work anymore - multiple DNS servers, multiple ISP's.

phone.shaw.ca opens for me
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

I can access it and log in, but I still get the "Let's try that again..." message when I try to manage my phone.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Are you able to access the Account Center?

See you previous bill for example. If not, try to register again.

-Posted from my phone.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

I can do that now. I couldn't on Thursday.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds

Premium Member

Might be worth a try to register again anyways.

If it still doesn't work, contact support,

They may want your user/pass to try themselves, so it can be fixed.

-Posted from my phone.

Edit: Maybe not, my account is doing the same thing now. Voicemail circled for over an hour but I don't have voicemail,

Settings gave the Let's try that again
Same thing on both phone numbers (drop down near the top).
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

I didn't get a chance to call in. Now I can manage my phone, except for Call Forwarding. I get this message: "Call Forwarding is temporarily inaccessible from the Phone Portal. You can still setup Call Forwarding directly from your Shaw Phone using *72 to activate forwarding and *73 to deactivate forwarding."

That's useful, except that I'm 1000 km away from the phone line Maybe support could do it for me if I call in; guess I'll find out next time I need to use it.
Mango

Mango

Premium Member

Technical support does not have access to do this. They can send a ticket to their national team that does have access, however this will take up to 24 hours. Unfortunately, that doesn't really help me because I don't typically find out in advance when I need the phone forwarded.

The tech told me the reason for the issue is that some people set up insecure passwords, got hacked, and the hacker set up call forwarding to make long distance calls for free. He states this is temporary but had no ETA of the problem being fixed.
Mango

Mango

Premium Member

I rigged a modem at that location to dial *72 and *73 for me.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
quote:
The tech told me the reason for the issue is that some people set up insecure passwords, got hacked, and the hacker set up call forwarding to make long distance calls for free. He states this is temporary but had no ETA of the problem being fixed.

This seems unlikely, a hacker, a local call to the account holder, hacks into the account holder's phone.shaw.ca to setup call forwarding, to make a free call to somewhere in the US or Canada (webpage only allowing call-forwarding to Canadian or United States phone numbers)

If they were not local to the account holder, the hacker would be paying long-distance to call the telephone number anyways.

Secondly, long-distance is cheap, and not worth the effort to very many.

If this was the case, there would be no intention of ever fixing it, so would not be temporary.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

It could theoretically be that the hacker was calling high-cost areas, that they get compensated for.

I still agree with you though, it doesn't entirely make sense. The only way a hacker could gain access to lots of customer accounts is by brute force password cracking...and that should be pretty easy to stop.
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

AJ102 to Mango

to Mango
It's down for me today as well. Whether accessed via secure.shaw.ca or my.shaw.ca or My Account from the Shaw.ca home page, I just get the unhelpful general message "We're sorry. There seems to be something wrong.". This seems to happen a lot, i.e., secure account access down just when I want to view and pay my bill. It's annoying!
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Now it won't even load. I just get the typical Firefox "Unable to connect" message.
tablo
join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB

tablo

said by Mango:

Now it won't even load. I just get the typical Firefox "Unable to connect" message.

Me too.
mr nobody
join:2004-12-02

mr nobody

Yep it's broken.... thanks for the heads up. tinfoil hat placed back in desk.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Mine now,

Is in the Customer Center with the Phone option on the left side,

Seems to do a frame to phone.shaw.ca

Manage Directory ListingThis page is temporarily under construction. To manage your directory listing information please contact us through one of the options below.
Live Chat
Chat NowChat online with one of our Customer Service Representatives. Customer Chat is available
7 a.m. to 10 p.m. PST, seven days a week.

You can also contact us at 1-888-472-2222

Manage Features:

Call Forwarding is temporarily inaccessible from the Phone Portal. You can still setup Call Forwarding directly from your Shaw Phone using *72 to activate forwarding and *73 to deactivate forwarding Learn more>
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

As of today, there have been some improvements (though not with Call Forwarding.)

Now you can disable 900 dialing, switch between your primary and secondary greeting, and also upload a file with your greeting. This would be good for companies that have professionally-recorded voicemail.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I am curious,

When did Shaw customers get access to 1-900 numbers?

This is the first I have heard of being able to call 900 numbers, and it is to block them.

-Posted from my phone.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Call forwarding is working again!