uniqs
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

mylowes card?!?!?

Went to Lowe's yesterday to buy a few items for a home project in progress. Upon checking out, the cashier asked me if I had a mylowes card yet. I said no. She grabbed one from the rack, scanned it without asking me, and told me it was to "help me keep track of my purchases", handed me the card and pamphlet, and proceeded to ring out all my items.

While ringing, I asked if this was a rewards program where I could earn points or something like that. She said no, it's just to keep a record of my purchases...

Now I'm not a member of the tin foil hat brigade... but this one just smells of big brother. Anyone else know more about the program or have a mylowes card? Is this a big brother situation or am I being paranoid? This seems pretty suspect at a home improvement store...
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

This might explain part of it:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 4rGYRIWM
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

1 edit

Zach

Premium Member

There is absolutely no doubt this new "service" will provide Lowes some sort revenue stream and the customer some sort of (additional) irritation. The privacy rants will provide endless hours of entertaining reading. Thanks Lowes but I'll stick with my off-line method of "purchase tracking".

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
If the stores are actively pushing it on customers you can bet it benefits them.

Business Intelligence is huge nowadays. Perhaps they want to take BI one step past the store & register level and be able to identify purchasing habits among individual purchasers. Without being able to track habits of the same customer over time this is not possible. The card would allow them to do it.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I've seen the commercials on TV. On the surface it appears it could benefit the consumer. Like the video above shows, it is convenient to look back at your history and be able to replace items with the same thing.

But yes, if they are pushing it, it benefits them somehow, too. They are in this to make a profit, and they are not going to do anything that does not benefit them. Is it worth being paranoid over? I doubt it. Unless you think Lowes finds you appealing enough to single you out from the other millions of customers they have.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to XXXXXXXXXXX1

MVM

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I got one the last time I was there - was confused about what it was for and have not bothered researching it. PrntRhd See Profile thanks for the video. You saved me the effort to figure out what it was for. I wonder if anyone from Lowes monitors this forum. Great marketing ploy where the brilliant minds who post on this forum can't figure out what the card is for.

I keep track of my purchases in various ways - have no need for Lowes to do it for me. Retail business are trying hard to attract repeat customers. Recently I installed a whole house sediment filter. I bought online. One of the things the site wanted me to do was sign up for filter element replacement emails.

/tom
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
This probably won't even help customers. HD and Lowes change their products so often that they seldom carry the same stock for more than a couple of years.

This is the main part of the agreement:

"When you register, you will also have the opportunity to sign up for email newsletters on certain subjects. These newsletters will be sent to you only if you choose to place your name on our mailing list. In order for us to deliver these newsletters, we may need to pass your name and email address to our service providers who supply us this email service. We also use a third-party company to authenticate and validate the information you provide to us. Your registration information is merged with information provided by the third party for our marketing purposes. The information you provide while visiting Lowes.com is combined with marketing research from internal and external sources. The information will be used to determine shopping and informational preferences."

The state that they don't "sell" your information but they can give it to other parties to be used as Lowes allows them. Lowes wants to send you newsletters and emailed promoting their products.

You can opt'ed out.

Personally, if I need to be reminding of something I use Google Calender. All of my reminders in one place.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Yeah, they won't sell your info, but they'll exchange it for something. Either way, it looks to me like your personal info is given to quite a few different entities. I still don't get paranoid about it, but I would get annoyed with the possibility of being added to more junk mail lists.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

Unless I get coupons like 10 off 30, 20% off one item, on a regular basis (like Kohl's), the card is going in the trash.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I've been asked the same thing.... If I had a rental property, yes, I would want to keep track of expenses... But for home, I could care less if I kept track of purchases!!!

Keep track of paint purchases? Yes, I want to register the 3 gallons I just purchased at Menards...... Oh, you can't register paint bought elsewhere???

Don't need it...
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

I haven't setup a "profile" online, but the brochure says,"Create an online place for every space, add room dimensions and keep notes for future plans." Sounds like they want more information so they can go data mining and either try to sell me more stuff or give that info to others who will try.

If a credit card is used, all purchases can be looked up using that card without the need for a receipt for refunds already... so that's a non-starter for this program.

I don't see any other purpose than to just hand over more information to a company that sells me stuff for no benefit in return. I do have rewards cards at other retailers for store loyalty, and some of those programs really save money or reward customers for repeated purchases. I know they keep my information, blah, blah... but using credit or debit cards today is still creating a digital paper trail anyway.

Unless this new program yields the customer some realistic benefits, I think I'll pass on this one..
XXXXXXXXXXX1

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Jan Janowski

Premium Member

to Jan Janowski
said by Jan Janowski:

If I had a rental property, yes, I would want to keep track of expenses..

There are far better ways to track rental expenses ( I have a few rental units). Quicken makes a version of their product that is for rental properties.

No accountant I know of is going to log into your mylowes account during tax season.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

Daarken to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Honestly, I can see the usefullness of this.
I do alot of DIY home improvements, and I am constantly at Lowes.
However, the only problem I have with it, is the fact that in the past 2 weeks I have probably made over $500 in purchases, and but only my wife has the card. Last night was the first night that someone actually said they could look up the account via phone #.
As usual, there where multiple listings for the same phone #.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Daarken:

Honestly, I can see the usefullness of this.
I do alot of DIY home improvements, and I am constantly at Lowes.
However, the only problem I have with it, is the fact that in the past 2 weeks I have probably made over $500 in purchases, and but only my wife has the card. Last night was the first night that someone actually said they could look up the account via phone #.
As usual, there where multiple listings for the same phone #.

The brochure with the cards I was given had one full size card (credit card size) and 2 sitckers that can be affixed to a credit or debit card of your choice that you routinely carry.. Guess they figure as long you have your primary credit card, you've got their card in tow.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Lowe's has been asking for your phone number now for ages (at least in the self-check lanes, which is what I always use), in order to "help with returns", should it be needed. They actually have multiple ways to track you, anyway. If you use a credit card (but they usually have to pay for this info), if you use their card, or if you enter your phone number. And you are always under taped video surveillance (inside and outside), if they want to use that to investigate a particular individual.

BTW, I have a Lowe's credit card, which I've used precisely once. And that was strictly to take advantage of a "50% discount on your first Lowe's card purchase" promotion that they were running at the time, which in my case meant saving $50, so it was definitely worth it.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by scross:

BTW, I have a Lowe's credit card, which I've used precisely once. And that was strictly to take advantage of a "50% discount on your first Lowe's card purchase" promotion that they were running at the time, which in my case meant saving $50, so it was definitely worth it.

I've toyed with getting a Lowe's credit card. My understanding is that you get 5% off every purchase at Lowe's using that card. I have a Target REDcard for that exact reason- I get 5% off every purchase at Target.

The savings add up, especially considering CT's sales tax is 6.35%

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to Jan Janowski

MVM

to Jan Janowski
said by Jan Janowski:

Keep track of paint purchases? Yes, I want to register the 3 gallons I just purchased at Menards...... Oh, you can't register paint bought elsewhere???

Don't need it...

It is even worse than that. If you happen to not have your "My Lowes" card with you at the time of purchase, you can't add the specifics of the purchase later. (ie, the color of the paint)
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I can tell you who indirectly benefits from the My Lowes card ... several of my friends who are employed at Lowes to keep that system running.

Not to say I support said friends because I refuse to get one if their cards.

Now if you want to talk invasion of privacy - the local Harris Teeter here demands your drivers license number before they'll give you one of their frequent shopper cards. I told them to get out of town when I found that out.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to scross

to scross
said by scross:

I have a Lowe's credit card, which I've used precisely once. And that was strictly to take advantage of a "50% discount on your first Lowe's card purchase" promotion that they were running at the time, which in my case meant saving $50

Wow. I wish Lowe's had been around here when I started remodeling. I used my Home Depot card exactly once, but I bought about $1500 worth of stuff that first time, and I don't think I saved more than $150 or maybe $200.
scross
USA

scross

said by ArgMeMatey:

said by scross:

I have a Lowe's credit card, which I've used precisely once. And that was strictly to take advantage of a "50% discount on your first Lowe's card purchase" promotion that they were running at the time, which in my case meant saving $50

Wow. I wish Lowe's had been around here when I started remodeling. I used my Home Depot card exactly once, but I bought about $1500 worth of stuff that first time, and I don't think I saved more than $150 or maybe $200.

Yeah, if I hadn't been in a hurry and the store about to close for the night (plus I was wearing a suit at the time; I don't remember why), I would have shopped around for something more expensive to buy. But I had stopped in to just grab one item, and the discount was completely unexpected at the time - a sweet promotional thing, and maybe just for that particular store, since it was hurting for business at the time.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to Camelot One

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

It is even worse than that. If you happen to not have your "My Lowes" card with you at the time of purchase, you can't add the specifics of the purchase later. (ie, the color of the paint)

I took a lengthy (Zzzzzz) survey on this program a long time ago, probably pre-launch. I could see the advantages, but most of the benefit would be if one considered Lowe's their sole supplier. Obviously that's what they'd like, but that doesn't happen in my world. So I gave them the big ho-hum.

I have this cool little device called a Sharpie that I use to mark the room and date on a paint can. If I throw the can away, I write the info on the lid and, you guessed it, I put it in my "lid file" in the paint cabinet.

Friday at Sherwin-Williams the cashier was asking the guy next to me if he wanted to list a room in the computer for the paint he was buying. So you know a bunch of MBAs think this will make some money for them. Stay tuned.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by ArgMeMatey:

Friday at Sherwin-Williams the cashier was asking the guy next to me if he wanted to list a room in the computer for the paint he was buying. So you know a bunch of MBAs think this will make some money for them. Stay tuned.

Actually, if you like Sherwin Williams paint (and I am definitely in that camp), that makes sense, especially if you are color matching a chip from another store or sample you brought in to them. If you need a custom color remade, they don't need another sample, the computer will have that record. It is pretty convenient.

Sidenote: A pro painter gave a painter's secret away to me on how to get the best prices on Sherwin Williams paint and wring out as much profit in a job as possible about a year ago. I was in a Sherwin Williams store and needed a quart made up, and he was in front of me with no one else in the store. He let me cut him and said his order would be really big. I was having my paint made up, and the next sales rep took his order. He ordered something like 170 gallons of paint. I thought he hit the jackpot for a job (times are pretty slow for builders in the last few years). So I asked him what big job he got. None he replied. I said then why are you buying so much paint... he said he waits for the 40% off sale and buys in bulk during that sale- AND HAS NONE OF IT COLORED! Then, when a customer hires him, he brings whatever he needs back to the store to be colored at no charge in the future. When he bids jobs, he factors the full price of the Sherwin Williams paint into the bid, and makes sure the customer knows that it's Sherwin Williams that he'll be using (which is notorious for crazy high prices when not on sale). It helps him hedge against price hikes, and allows him to squeeze more profit out of his fewer jobs by pocketing the 40% discount he got during the Sherwin Williams sale. He said as long as you keep it in an area that doesn't freeze, the paint will keep well for quite some time.

Pretty slick actually...

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to ArgMeMatey

MVM

to ArgMeMatey
said by ArgMeMatey:

Sherwin Williams has been doing that for years. As far as I know, they don't sell the info, it is just a helpful service for the customer.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by ArgMeMatey:

Actually, if you like Sherwin Williams paint (and I am definitely in that camp), that makes sense, especially if you are color matching a chip from another store or sample you brought in to them. If you need a custom color remade, they don't need another sample, the computer will have that record. It is pretty convenient.

Sidenote: A pro painter gave a painter's secret away to me on how to get the best prices on Sherwin Williams paint and wring out as much profit in a job as possible about a year ago. I was in a Sherwin Williams store and needed a quart made up, and he was in front of me with no one else in the store. He let me cut him and said his order would be really big. I was having my paint made up, and the next sales rep took his order. He ordered something like 170 gallons of paint. I thought he hit the jackpot for a job (times are pretty slow for builders in the last few years). So I asked him what big job he got. None he replied. I said then why are you buying so much paint... he said he waits for the 40% off sale and buys in bulk during that sale- AND HAS NONE OF IT COLORED! Then, when a customer hires him, he brings whatever he needs back to the store to be colored at no charge in the future. When he bids jobs, he factors the full price of the Sherwin Williams paint into the bid, and makes sure the customer knows that it's Sherwin Williams that he'll be using (which is notorious for crazy high prices when not on sale). It helps him hedge against price hikes, and allows him to squeeze more profit out of his fewer jobs by pocketing the 40% discount he got during the Sherwin Williams sale. He said as long as you keep it in an area that doesn't freeze, the paint will keep well for quite some time.

Pretty slick actually...

That goes against my 3 P rule. Never hire a preacher, poet or painter.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I do the same thing. When I know we're going to paint I buy the paint on sale with no color in it. After the wife figures out the color we take it back and have it colored. Nothing wrong with saving as much $$$ as possible.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
they track you with your credit card anyway.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:

Unless I get coupons like 10 off 30, 20% off one item, on a regular basis (like Kohl's), the card is going in the trash.

Agreed, except with Kohl's 'read the fine print'. Bought new home, needed home stuff (towels, kitchen appliances...) and Kohls had a sale. Gal at register is like, "Sir, do you have Kohl's card?" nope. "Well, as new customer you will get 50%-75% off this purchase!" Deal. 2 weeks go by and statement shows up, ok. But, it is due in THREE days! Fine, pay it off, send in. Next month, they send me a LATE FEE! After hour on phone (hold, supervisor, hold...), they "forgive me as a new customer". Apparently, it is less than 25 days (more like 20) from billing, but that includes the time it takes to get to you... not knockin their deals, but never again use their card.
PS. Went to Lowes at lunch to get some paint/caulk. Sure enough, cashier was like "Do you have a Low---" NO THANKYOU!
"But it.." NOPE. Ring it up pal. Not for me. "But..". Boy, they must get a commission on how many they give out because he was persistent.
dmagerl
Premium Member
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

dmagerl to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

said by ArgMeMatey:

Sherwin Williams has been doing that for years. As far as I know, they don't sell the info, it is just a helpful service for the customer.

I just bought paint at Ace Hardware, their house brand. The guy did the same thing. He started asking me all sorts of questions about what room I was painting, its dimensions, my phone number, etc... I thought it was really annoying and invasive so I just grunted at him and told him to just mix the paint. I cant believe people would give away that much info just for a can of paint.
scross
USA

scross to cableties

to cableties
said by cableties:

said by Gbcue:

Agreed, except with Kohl's 'read the fine print'. Bought new home, needed home stuff (towels, kitchen appliances...) and Kohls had a sale. Gal at register is like, "Sir, do you have Kohl's card?" nope. "Well, as new customer you will get 50%-75% off this purchase!" Deal. 2 weeks go by and statement shows up, ok. But, it is due in THREE days! Fine, pay it off, send in. Next month, they send me a LATE FEE! After hour on phone (hold, supervisor, hold...), they "forgive me as a new customer". Apparently, it is less than 25 days (more like 20) from billing, but that includes the time it takes to get to you... not knockin their deals, but never again use their card.
PS. Went to Lowes at lunch to get some paint/caulk. Sure enough, cashier was like "Do you have a Low---" NO THANKYOU!
"But it.." NOPE. Ring it up pal. Not for me. "But..". Boy, they must get a commission on how many they give out because he was persistent.

I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember Grant's Department Stores (they went out of business decades ago), but one of the primary reasons they disappeared was because they got a bit too generous with their credit terms. So while I'm as happy as anyone else to get a 5% to 50% (or more) discount on occasion, I'm glad to see that they usually don't go overboard anymore. On the other hand, smart shopping is smart shopping (coupon use, bulk purchases during sales and such), so more power to the people who are clever about this.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W. ··· _closure

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to ArgMeMatey

to ArgMeMatey
The mom and pop paint store I use has done this for years. It's why we have done business with them for years. All you need to know is your name and the room and you can walk out with a matching bucket of paint.