Search similar:

uniqs

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2

Premium Member

What causes uTorrent "Error 10061" peer errors?

I've been using uTorrent 1.8.5 for years and in general I have no problems downloading stuff with it.

But something that I've seen for quite a while is that for some torrents where I might be the only seed, and where it appears that there are a handful of peers - none of them connect to me to download. Or perhaps 1 or 2 will connect to me but the others don't.

For example, right now I'm seeding 9 torrents. For one of them, there are 2 seeds listed, and 8 peers. I'm uploading to only 1 peer (at 50 kb/sec). For the other 8 torrents, there are from 1 to 8 seeds listed for them, and anywhere from 1 to 40 peers - and none of those peers are downloading from me. For 4 of them, there's only 1 seed listed (presumably - me!) and anywhere from 1 to 18 peers - and none of them are connecting to me.

DHT, Peer Exchange and Local Peer Discovery is enabled for all 9 torrents. At the bottom of the uTorrent window it says "DHT: 345 nodes".

When I look at the logs, I see lots of these:

1.2.3.4 Connecting: source: TH
1.2.3.4 Disconnect: Peer error: Error 10061

2.3.4.5: Connecting: source H
2.3.4.5: Disconnect: Connection closed

3.4.5.6: Disconnect: Peer error: offline (time out)

In the Trackers tab, I've removed all the trackers that give errors (many of these errors are also 10061) so that I'm down to about 6 or 7 working trackers for each torrent (along with DHT, Local Peer Discovery, and Peer Exchange - which are all working).

So what exactly does this "10061" mean, and why are the peers for these some-what rare torrents that I'm seeding not wanting (or having problems) connecting to me?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Any number of things can cause it. Just make sure you're connectable (port forwarding, firewall configured to allow incoming connections for your client) and that's it. You could try disabling DHT to see if it has any effect, since it may be overrunning your router's NAT table.

sm5w2
Premium Member
St Thomas, ON

1 edit

sm5w2

Premium Member

All the stuff about ports and forwarding is fine.

The part about the NAT table size could be the issue. How would I find out if my router (Linksys BEFSR81) has an "acceptable" size for the NAT table?

Edit: Ok, according to a linksys 2-page product flyer, the BEFSR81 has a "1k MAC Address Table, means both auto-address learning and aging" - what-ever that means. The tech specs listed on some vendor websites seem to confirm "1k entries" for the MAC address table size.

So -> is the "MAC address table" also known as the "NAT address table" ???

Is 1k table size (mac/nat) an acceptable amount these days for trouble-free torrent functionality

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater to sm5w2

MVM

to sm5w2
I bet error 10061 is referring to Winsock error 10061 i.e Connection refused.

»support.ipswitch.com/kb/ ··· EM01.htm

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to sm5w2

Premium Member

to sm5w2
You dont have peer block or peer guardian running do you? I think that is an error that will show up when it prevents a connection that matches the block list it is using.

sm5w2
Premium Member
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to Napsterbater

Premium Member

to Napsterbater
If this was a "connection refused" error, then which machine is doing the "refusing" ?

I've read some vague comments in other forums where the reputation of an ISP is somehow taken into account or used by some peers when they decide to connect (or not) to a given seeder . If this actually happens (and it's not a block based on the seeder being a right's-monitoring/legal firm), then how or where do people (or their torrent client) become aware of these reputations? And what sort of "bad" stuff happens when you connect to a seeder who is using one of these ISP's?

In other words, if "Acme Residential Internet" has a bad or negative reputation in the torrent world, to the point where some people don't want their torrent client to connect to any seeds hosted by Acme, then what would Acme have to be doing in order to get this bad reputation?
sm5w2

sm5w2 to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
>You dont have peer block or peer guardian running do you?

I used to run peer guardian several years ago, but not since then. To my knowledge I've disabled all connection-blocking.

Would these "10061" entries in the utorrent log screen indicate if it was the result of a rules-based connection block?

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by sm5w2:

>You dont have peer block or peer guardian running do you?

I used to run peer guardian several years ago, but not since then. To my knowledge I've disabled all connection-blocking.

Would these "10061" entries in the utorrent log screen indicate if it was the result of a rules-based connection block?

The only reason i know about that error is because some of the IPs for our US usenet servers are wrapped up in the peer block / peer guardian block list.

When a user tries to connect with their newsreader that error gets displayed (same number too) and it is because of one of those programs running.

sm5w2
Premium Member
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2

Premium Member

I asked:

> Would these "10061" entries in the utorrent log screen indicate
> if it was the result of a rules-based connection block?

Now that I think about it (and correct me if I'm wrong) - uTorrent doesn't have any sort of functional or operational connection to peer guardian. In other words - if peer guardian is blocking something that uTorrent wants to connect to, uTorrent doesn't know why it can't connect to the machine in question. right?

But that's a tangent, because I'm not running peer guardian...

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by sm5w2:

I if peer guardian is blocking something that uTorrent wants to connect to, uTorrent doesn't know why it can't connect to the machine in question. right?

Right. You could see in my example, that peer guardian can prevent connections originated from any program that tries to connect to an IP in its block list.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater

MVM

These errors are actually coming from winsock which is part on windows.

sm5w2
Premium Member
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2

Premium Member

> These errors are actually coming from winsock which is part on windows.

So again I ask, is this happening because the router's MAC table is being over-run because I'm connected to too many DHT nodes?

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater

MVM

I be live this should only.come from the destination computer. NAT overload will be drop silently I believe... although you could use wireshark to look at the packets and see what device IP is sending the errors.