Search similar:

uniqs
McFool
join:2012-10-27
Toms River, NJ

1 edit

McFool

ONT issues?

I've been getting linked to threads on this site for years and always met with resolve and solution of the finest caliber. Today I seek assistance because I've depleted all of my own logic. For several years I have been running Verizon FIOS. The service is great, however I regularly need to reboot my ONT following heavy gaming. Now I have been experiencing this issue for about 3 years, and have tried several methods to attempt to resolve this issue, but none have succeeded. Initially, I had read that this was a fault of a small NAT table within the actiontec router. Reading further I determined that perhaps the alternative westell something router might alleviate my issues. It did not. After several calls to verizon, still some years back, they came out and claimed that they were going to send me a new "prototype" of the actiontec. This "prototype" which is a revision E actiontec mi424wr, also did not resolve my issues. After another year, which takes us to about a month ago, I was pointed to a "double bridge" technique on this site to bypass the actiontec and use a router of my choice for NAT and so on. I acquired a fresh ASUS NT-66RU, and set up the 2 routers in double bridge as per some thread. Everything worked as it should have, TV had full widgets and everything except caller ID, all was well. I got between 30-and 60 clients into a game, and then the internet connection dropped.

What happens is, when i get 30+ connections, my ONT seems to drop from verizon's service. No amount of router abuse, restarts, configuration can restore service. However, a single call to verizon to "reboot" the ont, or manually unplugging and replugging the ont and battery back up restores service. The issue for the past 3 years seems to be this ONT losing connection with verizon at times of heavy load. This load is numerous connections using no more than 3 or 4 mbps up and down. Meanwhile, I can download at 28 mbps for hours on end with no issues. Id assume if it were the nat table the issue would be in router so a router reboot would fix it and an ont reboot would do nothing. I really dont understand at all and I don't know what to do.

I've been planning on a move to verizon business internet but I don't want to pay 120 a month for something that will need its ONT rebooted every day or 2. I'd like to see this hardware work under my standard usage before I commit to a contract that costs 3x as much as my current contract.

Why does the ONT keep losing verizon? How does the number of active connections affect the ONT? Why doesn't the ONT automatically try to reconnect to verizon, or why doesn't verizon try to reconnect to a ONT that has dropped? What exactly is causing this issue? Are there different models of ONT available? What do I do? I'll be heavily monitoring this thread, so please ask me for any information you may desire to help me understand what is going wrong here. Thank you all very kindly in advance. Sorry for the wall of text and my inexperience. Please explain anything complex with simple human words- I am not a trained professional.
Sincerely,
Jay

Edit- I had posted a reply to the user below, yesterday, but I do not see the post anywhere aside from inside my profile. In this reply I had noted that the ONT was a TELLABS but I was not able to determine the model. It uses moca but also had one ethernet port as well as 2 testing ports.
ScrawnyB
join:2004-05-18
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

I don't particularly have a direct answer to your question, but it would be useful to know what model ONT you have.

I have killed my ONT while torrenting with both my Rev.I router, and also with my own router, so there is likely something in my case that kills the ONT under many connections. Unfortunately, I can't say how often this is, because I don't use torrents on a normal basis.

I believe my ONT is the old BPON Motorola 1000-series, with only a 10/100, not gigabit, ethernet port.
McFool
join:2012-10-27
Toms River, NJ

McFool

Ok I have checked out the ONT, the only thing real markings I found were on the inside of the plastic cover:

TELLABS
5210-0144
Rev. 03 x11

None of that information is present on the page »Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the different models of ONTs? so I believe i failed to actually identify my ONT. It is hoked up via moca, but i did see an ethernet port inside the box. I'd go check the box again if you could textually point me towards some branding or location on the ONT which has the make and model.

It has also died once more inbetween the OP and this post, and the remedy was again rebooting the ONT.