Search similar:

uniqs

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

AT&T Account login vs Yahoo email login?

I ported my main email address to my new U-verse account. Pop3 worked fine with the same password I had been using.

I created a new ATT account for bill viewing and paying access. The name it wanted to use for that login was the same as my main email address. It asked my security questions, and it asked me to create a password (not asking for the existing password on the email). So I made one I will call NewPass. I was able to do my business on the ATT website.

I then saw that my POP3 email program on two different computers was failing due to a bad password. So I changed the email program server info to NewPass. The POP3 access still showed a password error. I suspected that the problem was because the old password would have been tried many times, so I might have the password disabled already. I disabled automatic checking of my POP3 for the main email account on the computers. I left checking a secondary account (which is most of my email) to happen, and that still works I decided to go back to the ATT.com login, and say I forgot my password. After the security questions, I "changed" my password to NewPass. I proceeded to Yahoo web mail login for my main email login. NewPass got me in to that. I was going to change the password for Yahoo to something else, but I found myself back at ATT during the process. There clearly was interaction.

I re-enabled POP3 using NewPass on one of the computers. It worked. I figured that there may have been a propagation delay earlier. So things "work" now, but want to get some information.

What is the relationship between the login for billing etc vs the login for my main Yahoo email account? Ideally they would be separate logins and/or passwords. They were different when I was on DSL. That main email address is what is used to log into AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspots, for example. What should I do?

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by StillLearn:

What is the relationship between the login for billing etc vs the login for my main Yahoo email account? Ideally they would be separate logins and/or passwords.

The yahoo email account login and login for billing etc. can be the same..... with the login for billing you can create a att access ID

said by StillLearn:

That main email address is what is used to log into AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspots, for example

This is still true.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

Thanks. I created an att access ID. However this did not seem to help in that
1. I can log in to that access id with the email address instead of the access ID name.
2. The email address password is still the same as the access ID password.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

I'm not aware of a way to have/setup a seprate passwords for the primary email or att access id.

I've never used the site to pay the bill dsl or voice
I've had a account at the site since 2003 and for a long time it had a unrelated login id/password.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by wayjac:

I'm not aware of a way to have/setup a seprate passwords for the primary email or att access id.

I've never used the site to pay the bill dsl or voice
I've had a account at the site since 2003 and for a long time it had a unrelated login id/password.

I also had the unrelated passwords for years also, but not as long as you. You can imagine my shock.

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to StillLearn

to StillLearn
When you ported your main email address to the new Uverse account, that email address became the login ID associated with the paid Uverse account. You could have just logged in to pay the bill etc. with that email address.
Sounds like when you.. "created a new ATT account for bill viewing and paying access. The name it wanted to use for that login was the same as my main email address." .. you accidentally made your email address an ATT access ID, reseting your email password and security questions.
The email password and account security settings for a paid email address are stashed behind ATT's walled garden on the billing side @att.com, even though the billing stuff and email server are separate. So if you ever change the billing password you'll have to update the pass in the client mail programs, or if you ever need to just change the email password you'll get redirected to att.com.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by Forosnai:

When you ported your main email address to the new Uverse account, that email address became the login ID associated with the paid Uverse account.

I think you are saying that I had no way when I moved to U-verse with a new account to have what I had with DSL-- the main email address and the administrative account having each different logins --as long as I did not want to lose that main email address.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by StillLearn:

I think you are saying that I had no way when I moved to U-verse with a new account to have what I had with DSL-- the main email address and the administrative account having each different logins --as long as I did not want to lose that main email address.

At one time the att account manager website was only for phone service management it had a login ID/password that was separate from the dsl primary id/password.
dsl account management was done from the att yahoo portal pages.

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to StillLearn

to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

said by Forosnai:

When you ported your main email address to the new Uverse account, that email address became the login ID associated with the paid Uverse account.

Yup. You could have just created a new @att.net ID with the Uverse registration, but then your old email would have defaulted to a "free" account and you lose the few perks that come with ISP support.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to StillLearn

MVM

to StillLearn
Sometime in the past the login for the account management website was changed, it was about when att took over some of the account management options from the att yahoo portal.