Search similar:

uniqs
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

1 edit

GusHerb

Can't Get DD-WRT To Work On WNR2000v3 EDIT: Figured Out Why

Totally new at flashing firmware to routers and stuff, but I've soaked up a ton of info in the past 24 hours about the subject.

I had a spare WNR2000 V3 laying around so I thought I'd give DD-WRT a shot.

I've followed all the basic instructions, done a bit of research, it appears as though alot of the instructions floating around don't apply to me here. Also, it's nearly impossible to sift through the massive amount of info on the DD-WRT forum so I'm presenting my issue here.

I assume my issue is something stupid or really obvious.

I'm able to upload the DD-WRT firmware through the Netgear web GUI, also works just fine using the TFTP client as well. What happens is once it's loaded into the router it just goes into an infinite bootloop. I can't get it to stay on long enough to even attempt to access the interface.

I'm also able to re-flash the stock firmware back to the router via the TFTP client after every time I attempt to flash DD-WRT on there. I did try a previous version of DD-WRT, I may try going back even further. It all takes some time though, as it's about 10 minutes every time I flash something.

Have I missed something totally simple or am I looking at a compatibility issue here? Of course I've made sure I'm downloading the specific DD-WRT firmware for the WNR2000 v3...

Thanks!

rlocone
Honor Our Heros, Our Armed Forces
Premium Member
join:2002-04-10
Kokomo, IN

rlocone

Premium Member

Re: Can't Get DD-WRT To Work On WNR2000v3

Sounds to me like a hard reset is in order. Anytime you are flashing in between firmwares a reset is a must. NVRAM setting can remain and cause havoc with a new flash.

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· 30/30/30
GusHerb
Chicago, IL

GusHerb

Hard reset doesn't do a thing. Anytime, the second I flash DD-WRT it just goes to a bootloop, also I don't think it's even booting all the way before it shuts off again. Like it can't get past a certain point in the booting process.

Also holding the reset button puts it into recovery mode.
GusHerb

GusHerb

Can't Get DD-WRT To Work On WNR2000v3 :EDIT: *Figured Out Why*

Found the solution to the issue myself... It was a compatibility issue.

The last version of DD-WRT to work on the Netgear WNR2000 v3 is r18777 released 3-19-12.

There wasn't a single bit of info on the web pertaining to this particular model router and DD-WRT even remotely referring to what I just stated above. I had to do all the research, trial and error, and testing myself.

After literally an entire day of trying to get this to work I now have successfully flashed DD-WRT onto a router for the first time!

Darth Taylor
@comcast.net

Darth Taylor

Anon

Re: Can't Get DD-WRT To Work On WNR2000v3 :EDIT: *Figured Out W

I have the same router and its doing the exact same thing. It bootloops. i try to tftp the factory firmware back on to it, but it reboots before anything can stick. i've tried to hold the reset button and it stops the bootloop, but i can't tftp anything to it? i can ping the router. it comes back with ttl=64 over and over. so i know there's something going on in there, but im stumped. can anyone help??
GusHerb
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

GusHerb

Re: Can't Get DD-WRT To Work On WNR2000v3 EDIT: Figured Out Why

Did you assign your computer a static IP? (such as 192.168.1.2)

I was able to TFTP stock firmware back on by holding the reset button down til the power light flashed, and started the TFTP WHILE I was holding the reset button, and as soon as it started uploading, let go of it (Don't think it has to be done in that particular fashion but it worked for me every time that way)
xtpottx
join:2013-07-30

xtpottx

hi GusHerb94. im sure i didnt assign my computer a static ip. and im stuck in bootloop and attempted hard reset. aka 30 30 30
still not sure what to do. cant connect routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1
first attempt help me pls!?

Xfade
@telia.com

Xfade

Anon

I have the same problem with my WNR2000v3.
It gets stuck in a boot loop, if I hold down the reset button for a while the power led starts blinking green and I am able to ping it and tftp firmware to it. But here is my problem... nothing happens after i upload the firmware, it says tat the transfer is successful but the router keeps in flashing green. I left it like this over night but nothing happened.... Any ideas how to save my router? =)

I use a static IP on my computer, since I don't get one from the router.
I have tried 30/30/30 with no luck and well, pretty much everything I can think of and everything I found online I also tried four different TFTP applications, Windows built-in, tftp2.exe, Mac OSX built in and an app called TFTP Client for OS X.

somedude_99
@telus.net

somedude_99

Anon

I have the exact same problem as above. After holding reset and the power blinks green, I can upload many versions of firmware and it says its successful but it continues to blink green and remains bricked. During this time I can always ping and get TTL=64 reply. Help us much appreciated...

Xfade
@telia.com

Xfade

Anon

I think I found the reason to our problems, and a solution if you have the right tools at home :P

In the last post in this thread a user says that there is a bug in the firmware on the router that says that all files you upload to it is the wrong one, so you need to connect to it with a serial cable

»www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/vi ··· p=702539