uniqs
guraaf
join:2009-06-09
Los Altos, CA

1 recommendation

guraaf

Re-purpose an Actiontec MI424WR into wireless access point

Hi all,

I moved into a new house and got Verizon FIOS in the garage area. I cannot get Wi-Fi in the bedroom for Smartphones and Tablets. However, there is a Cat5 cable through the walls from the garage to the bedroom.

I have an old Rev D Actiontec MI424WR with me from my old apartment. I thought of converting it into an access point.

1. Disable DHCP
2. Assign it static IP
3. Give it the same Wireless SSID and password as primary router
4. Reserve IP address on the primary router.

Appeared pretty straight-forward until I realized that I don't know a) how to disable DHCP on the old secondary router and how to assign it a static IP. Any ideas or pointers would really help.

Or any other suggestion to create a wireless access point so that I can use the Cat-5 into the bedroom and get WiFi access for tablet.

Best regards and thanks in advance
Guraaf
O1OOO1O
join:2005-12-23
Lewisville, TX

1 recommendation

O1OOO1O

Disable DHCP : Go to Advanced - IP Address Distribution - Change to Disabled.
Assign Static IP : My Network - Network Connections - Advanced - Network/Home Office - Settings - change the Internet Protocol setting to 'Use the following IP address' (192.168.1.2 / 255.255.255.0 works)
Same SSID / Passphrase : Wireless Settings - Basic Security to change the SSID, Advanced Security to set the passphrase - I would also suggest using a different wireless channel than your primary router (like 1 on primary, 11 on secondary - set to maintain through a power cycle on both)

No need to reserve the address on your primary router, just adjust the DHCP pool on the primary to begin with 192.168.1.3 (if you used 192.168.1.2 as the IP for the secondary).
guraaf
join:2009-06-09
Los Altos, CA

1 recommendation

guraaf

Thanks a lot, 0100010. This did it. I was able to get my access point working. Much appreciated.