All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Donaldojpg
join:2013-08-05

Donaldojpg

[ALL] Cisco DPC3010 Firmware

So, i've bought a DPC3010 online to use with suddenlink so that i can use DOCSIS 3.0, but It's running COX firmware. I can't find any admin login credentials anywhere. Not even firmware.
Is there any way i can at least update the firmware to the latest version of COX's firmware? I'd prefer Vanilla/Cisco, but i cant find a thing on the Cisco support site.

I've even attempted a hard reset, and got nothing.

Here's the build info.

Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
Current Software Revision: DPC3010-v302r12901-110516a-COX
Firmware Name: dpc3010-v302r12901-110516a-COX.bin
Firmware Build Time: May 16 2011 17:09:15

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Short answer; No.

Not without some hack I don't know of and wouldn't suggest, it is not possible to update the firmware via anything but coaxial. The log in credentials are user: [blank] Password: [blank]. The problem is certain information Cox (and other ISP's) considered proprietary was made viewable in the Cisco firmware so Cox stripped it down so it only shows what it does and is read only.

The log in system was specifically put in place by Cisco to give the providers a way to block certain content, but seeing how easy it is to Google such things, I understand why Cox chose not to use it. So basically its a room with a door with a lock that is unlocked, that leads directly into the exact same room. If you find out differently, please let me know, because my DPQ3212 has the same issue.

Your best bet is to contact Suddenlink. Does the modem sync up enough for them to see it? Even if it doesn't get online, if the modem gets a private IP in their system they may be able to push a new firmware to it. If it gets online and just isn't working well, chances are the new firmware will update itself. If it doesn't even sync up, you will probably have to buy a new modem.

And on that front, it looks like Suddenlink supports the DPC3010 but it doesn't "prefer" it. See link below. Thats why I like my modems like I like my underwear; not used. :3

»help.suddenlink.com/inte ··· ist.aspx
Donaldojpg
join:2013-08-05

Donaldojpg

I've been able to activate it after an hour of phone calls. I've already asked suddenlink if they were able to. They basically told be to screw off and go to Cisco, which will not help me at all.
I also noticed that there were only 4 channels in use.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Yea, I noticed thats the main difference between the DPC3000 and the DPC3010. I would wager Suddenlink is only allowing up to four channels, thats why they haven't bothered to customize the factory default firmware to their specific network. Datasheets below.

As for them updating the firmware, yea, that sounds typical of most Tier 1 support and firmware updates. To be fair though, its not something they have to deal with, and more are told specifically that they are not allowed to update firmware. This is because of the small, but very real, threat of something going wrong with the update process and bricking the modem. I usually only suggest a firmware update if a Technician is on site incase something goes wrong, but you can also try on their forum. They may have a sanctioned Suddenlink official that has a engineering state of mind, if not the actual title. Good luck.

DPC3000
»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· a168.pdf

DPC3010
»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 7296.pdf

Suddenlink Forum
»Suddenlink