Search similar:

uniqs
Jammers
join:2009-01-15
Tillamook, OR

1 edit

Jammers

[CenturyTel] Keeping email with CenturyLink

I'm going to change internet service providers and want to know if i can keep my embarqmail email account when i drop CenturyLink. Anyone know?

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Most ISPs will keep it open for a period of time, and then close it out.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Jammers

MVM

to Jammers
According to a previous rant, once your account is closed, your email is turned off and deleted. There is no recovery or getting the address back.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

my original email from qwest.net is still active from five years ago, even though i left Qwest/CenturyLink for a year when forced to do so.

I'm not sure how they determine to shut it off to be honest.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

It also depends on whether they run the mail servers or farm it out to someone else. Embarq used Synacor to provide email service, and I believe Centurylink is continuing that. As such, they are probably paying per user, and disable it when an account is closed.

I just remember a rant from many months ago where someone was complaining about not being able to retrieve their email after their service was turned off (or something like that).

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to brad152

Premium Member

to brad152
It is free to ask. It is possible you could pay to keep it active via website email only access. Otherwise you would not have actual access to the system.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to billaustin

to billaustin
I'm pretty sure they do, as when i go to Synacor's website it clearly shows century link webmail as an example.

I never use ISP email as a primary inbox anyway, I just use Gmail and always tell others to do the same, in case they eventually move or switch ISP's

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to Jammers

to Jammers
Change to hotmail/outlook/gmail or get your own domain... now.

And don't be concerned when you move or change isps again.