All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
danmcdermott
join:2002-09-21
Dayton, OH

danmcdermott

How do you turn off SSID broadcast on the Ubee DDW3610 modem?

I have Extreme Internet Service and I want the wireless to work, but not broadcast my network name. However, I can't figure out how to turn on/off the SSID broadcast on my Ubee DDW3610 modem. Help!
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Not sure why you'd want to turn off your SSID broadcast, but I believe it's called 'Closed Network' in the UBee world. The default value should be disabled change it to enabled and you will achieve what you're looking to do.
danmcdermott
join:2002-09-21
Dayton, OH

danmcdermott

I had heard, that if it is not broadcasting, then you get better security. However, I am not sure if you can make any connections to devices unless it is enabled. My old 2wire2701HG needed the SSID broadcast in order for my Samsung Smart TV to use it for Netfflix, TV Station menus, etc, etc.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to danmcdermott

Premium Member

to danmcdermott
Security by obscurity is not security at all. It is my and many other peoples belief hiding your SSID does absolutely nothing for you as far as security is concerned and in the end just makes it inconvenient for yourself. Google the topic and you'll see. There are many free programs that can find wireless networks whose SSIDs are not broadcast. InSSIDer is my personal favorite. Works great on my laptop, phone and tablet. The basic version is free, it's pretty cool.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater to danmcdermott

MVM

to danmcdermott
»www.howtogeek.com/howto/ ··· -secure/

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· spx#EDAA
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to danmcdermott

to danmcdermott

Turing off SSID broadcast is not going to make your network anymore secure than it is with it on -- sure the casual person won't see your "access point" but as long as you have WPA2 enabled etc the "average person" is not going to be able to connect anyways .. Those who would want to gain access to your network have tools that can scan for access points even if SSID broadcast is disabled.
switchman
join:1999-11-06
ARRIS SB6183
(Software) OPNsense

switchman to danmcdermott

to danmcdermott
said by danmcdermott:

I had heard, that if it is not broadcasting, then you get better security.

Not true, it can actually cause problems. Either turn the wifi off altogether or just lock the router down,