All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bleomycin
join:2010-11-28
Newport Coast, CA

bleomycin

OPTIK TV igmp proxy settings (IP ranges)

Hello Everyone,

I just began service with telus and at first was looking into bridging the actiontec they provide, but then discovered I did not need it at all. I've setup my pfsense router to act as an IGMP proxy with ip range settings from these forums and my TV is working just fine. I would like to double check my configuration with the community.

IGMP Upstream: 207.0.0.0/8, 224.0.0.0/4, 10.0.0.0/8
IGMP Upstream: 192.168.1.0/24 (and my other VLANS) 192.168.7.0/24 etc etc.

Are all of these ranges required?

Also, I had to allow UDP taffic from 224.0.0.0/4 through the firewall (WAN) explicitly. Is this correct? I would like to narrow down exactly which IP ranges are necessary. Thank you!
JBL77
join:2014-04-18

JBL77

I plug my ASUS RT-AC66U right into the Alcatel with nothing other than IGMP multicast enabled. Nothing telus because the media converter. Not sure if it different for GPON but that's how I am doing it
JBL77

JBL77

My bad. I actually bought the thing a couple days ago and all was good....until a second stream comes active. Reading now, seems this is the case as other people have had the issue too.

Will be trying dd-wrt on it tomorrow and if that doesn't work, I will just use the actiontec alongside my asus in a parallel network.
SHA1
join:2011-08-06

1 edit

SHA1 to bleomycin

to bleomycin
I used the same setup for awhile. The problem with running it all through pfsense is the IGMP proxy package seems "sensitive" and gets restarted fairly easily (i.e. any apinger alarms) which can lead to an interruption in playback.

Here is the configuration that worked for me at the time:

IGMP Proxy

Downstream LAN 192.168.x.x/24
Upstream WAN 207.0.0.0/8 10.0.0.0/8

FW Rules on WAN:

Protocol UDP
Source 207.0.0.0/8, 10.0.0.0/8
Port *
Dest 224.0.0.0/4
Gateway WAN
Check off the Advanced option that allows IGMP.

Protocol IGMP
Source 207.0.0.0/8, 10.0.0.0/8
Port *
Dest 224.0.0.0/4
Gateway WAN
Check off the Advanced option that allows IGMP.

EDIT: I should mention I was running an ALU modem at the time...
bleomycin
join:2010-11-28
Newport Coast, CA

bleomycin

Thanks a lot for the reply SHA1! I'll experiment with your configuration. May I ask what you are running now and why you abandoned pfsense? Was it the IGMP proxy package sensitivity you mentioned or something else? I'd really prefer to not have the actionec in the picture at all if possible. So far with my current settings listed in post 1 i've had 0 TV issues, but it's only been a few days.
SHA1
join:2011-08-06

SHA1

I found IGMP proxy was restarting too much with my setup so I put the TV infrastructure on its own network (Telus provides 2 dynamic IP addresses) using a switch and an Actiontec I picked up on Kijiji.

Unfortunately the Telus provided Actiontec is a requirement and bridge mode appears to be harder to achieve these days. Others on this forum have experimented with third party VDSL2 modems with mixed results.

If your current configuration is working to your satisfaction then leave it alone and be happy!