Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

Yosemite maximum distance for continuity?

I have Yosemite installed on my 2012 rMBP and iOS 8.1 on my iPhone 4S. I am able to make/receive calls and SMS on my Mac through my phone and it works pretty well.

However, I cannot find any documentation as to how close the iPhone and the Mac have to be for this to work. I know it uses Bluetooth 4.0 to sense proximity and then WiFi to transmit the data between the Mac and iPhone.

Has anyone tried any distance tests?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

SMS relay requires just any network connection. Does not use Bluetooth.

WiFi calls require the devices to be on the same network (doesn't have to be same WiFi AP even, as long as they're both connected to the same network). Also doesn't use Bluetooth.

Only the Handoff and Instant Hospot features use Bluetooth, so you have to be within 20-50 ft or so. Depends on the environment, walls, building construction, etc.

My apartment isn't that big, so I only know Handoff works from about 20ft away through a wall

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state

crazyk4952

Premium Member

Thanks for the info!

Of course now I get a call on my iPhone and my Mac didn't ring....

nickelman
Premium Member
join:2002-10-14
Medford, NJ

1 edit

nickelman to crazyk4952

Premium Member

to crazyk4952
Apparently SMS Relay doesn't use Bluetooth or Wifi connectivity. I say this because I am at work and my Macbook at home is receiving my regular SMS messages, not iMessages. So, I guess they don't even have to be in the same city to work.

EDIT: Looks like you guys already knew this but I thought I'd add my 2 cents...

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

said by nickelman:

Apparently SMS Relay doesn't use Bluetooth or Wifi connectivity. I say this because I am at work and my Macbook at home is receiving my regular SMS messages, not iMessages. So, I guess they don't even have to be in the same city to work.

EDIT: Looks like you guys already knew this but I thought I'd add my 2 cents...

I just turned off WiFi on my iPhone and successfully sent an SMS from my mac through my iPhone. I guess it will use the cellular radio, too.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Yep. Any network connection.

SMS relay goes through iCloud (your SMSs are pushed to the cloud by the iPhone and the Mac sends them through iCloud back to the phone. Pretty smart setup).