spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Ftr_NewUser
@50.33.208.x

Ftr_NewUser

Anon

[DSL] Frontier DSL, Netgear 7550 setup nuances/flakiness

For the record, other new Frontier DSL customers may find this helpful. (and new Netgear 7550 users)

Getting started with Frontier DSL and Netgear 7550...

First Netgear died after about 24 hrs on-time. Was plugged in to a UPS.
Specifically, all functions except wired ethernet switch were non-responsive. Power light was illuminated, but very dim, Ethernet lights alone lit properly. Power supply measured 14vdc unloaded (good). Prior to that, everything was working properly. Wiresharked - nothing except switch traffic, modem unresponsive.
Called Frontier support, was sent a replacement.

Netgear 7550 (B90-755044-15) shipped with their DSL bundle (Jan 2015) has firewall disabled, and FTP enabled.

Disabled ftp (Advanced->ALG, unchecked FTP)

Various router settings dialogs don't play with Firefox (33) on WinXP, most noticeable were IP settings and port forwarding. Had to revert to IE8 to interact with the router.

When firewall is set to medium, incoming ports are blocked. Fine.

Changed subnet:
Advanced->IP Address Distribution, select Private LAN from dropdown, specified ranges, the clicked 'Apply' button down at the bottom. Good. Could also apply fixed IP's I needed here. (old network printer)
Router at xxx.xxx.xxx.254 on new subnet.

Setting the firewall to 'medium' blocked out my email ports (995, 465), among other things. Need ports open for email, etc:
Firewall->Port Forwarding, IPSEC ALG and UPNP_svc (tied to Apple TV specific IP) enabled by default.
Click red 'Add' text at bottom of rule list.

I go to setup a new rule from list of defaults: only LAN (no WIFI) addresses available for assigning the rule to. (even though connected device list shows my wireless devices and their IP's)

I specify the wireless IP manually. Because of subnet change, the rule fails with error "LAN IP Address not part of the Subnet"

I want to use 'Dynamic' setting for better security. (port opened on-request, per host basis) - also affected by subnet change, same error: "LAN IP Address not part of the Subnet"

Can't edit default rules. Search web, nothing coming up.

Workaround:
Found that by clicking 'Create' next to the rule dropdown box, the resulting rules apply correctly in the situation where the subnet is other than 192.168.254.254.
Click red 'Add', then 'Create', then enter a name in step 1, select 'Port Triggering' in step 2, Step 3 enter ports in the four fields (Start/End for GLobal and local facing ports) and protocols.
Click Apply. Rule goes into effect immediately. 'Triggered' rules apply to all the devices using the router, even with the altered subnet. Nice.

Saved the configuration to disk:
Advanced->Configuration File->Save Configuration File to LAN PC
IE8 dialog pops up offering to open/save/cancel, chose save, saved to disk.

And for the record, Juno 5 email, yes, the old standalone email application, requires ports 1060-1062 and 1794 opened up.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

Yup this has been an issue with this modem from day one.

Thanks for writing it all down I never got around to doing it.
n2ubp
join:2007-07-13
Middletown, NY

n2ubp to Ftr_NewUser

to Ftr_NewUser
I spent a good year playing with my 7550. I could never get the firewall to do what I wanted when I wanted. I ended up purchasing an ASUS router that did what I asked and bridged it to the 7550.